TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Dii
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by syfi
You must be throwing codes...tell us what ja got.
No codes that's the bad part mechanic even drive the car with code reader hooked up .

Old 04-18-2014, 09:30 AM
Dii

Originally Posted by Egodriver71
Sounds like crank position sensor
Had replaced still same issue!!!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:39 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

I replaced my crankshaft position sensor and the car quit on me with the new sensor. Yanked it out, cleaned the connector, added a bit of dielectric grease, reinstalled the original CPS and 2 years later the part that was giving trouble is working perfectly. My belief is lots of these CPS problems are actually connector problems. I'd revisit the CPS. Clean the connectors, plug and unplug them a few times and reinstall. It's free and given my success, worth a try.

Les

Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dii
I'm having the same problem on my 2004 xfire, everything thing that's has been mention in this thread has been fixed on my car, and again still the same issue about a week are more later (stalling no starting)wait 30 minutes and have waited up to 9 hrs before it will restart.this stalling happens at high speeds on Highway are when engine slows down and even when ignition is shut off when driving 45 are more
The best thing for all of us to do is report this to the NHTSA 1-800-424-9393 maybe if enough us to report the problem we can get a recall.I don't know about you guys but I'm tired of spending money!!!! And the problem still exist!!!!!!
Dii

I see you've posted about your problem on several different threads and have given bits of information about your problem in each different post. I appreciate your dedication to get a recall about your problem, but if you want to get your car fixed, that is probably not the way to go. This forum has more knowledge on it about your car than any service department that will work on your car - I suggest you use it rather than rally for a recall. In your posts, I see you have focused your attention on the CPS and the wire harness, but I don't see in any of your posts that you have resoldered your RCM. Piggy backing onto a thread with 600+ posts and saying "I've done everything in this thread" doesn't do much good. If you want specific help with your car, and you can't find the answer by searching, I suggest starting your own thread and listing every detail about your problem that you can think of - even if you have already mentioned it in previous posts - list it again.

Just my 2 cents ...

RL

Old 04-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I replaced my crankshaft position sensor and the car quit on me with the new sensor. Yanked it out, cleaned the connector, added a bit of dielectric grease, reinstalled the original CPS and 2 years later the part that was giving trouble is working perfectly. My belief is lots of these CPS problems are actually connector problems. I'd revisit the CPS. Clean the connectors, plug and unplug them a few times and reinstall. It's free and given my success, worth a try.

Les
That is an excellent point, these are simple parts and what is there to go wrong with them? Al_xfire mentioned the simplicity of them way back.

Excellent idea, this could be a money saver and maybe it should be a regular maintenance procedure.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Have also seen post stating that the 3rd party CPS (non-Bosch) have caused problems. Find an authentic Bosch CPS and see if that works!

Also agree with Les. Connector can be cause for attention.

Last edited by syfi; 04-18-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:45 PM

Has any one got a check list of how to diagnose a no crank or start fault. I have checked/resolderd RCM ,starter/battery, fuses, grounds, live feeds/ignition feeds, no fault codes! I am now running out of options. Any help/surgestions much appreciated . Thanks

Old 05-29-2014, 10:14 PM

I have bad crankshaft position sensor connector. My car would die while driving, vibrations caused the wires to touch. You can tell if this is the problem by moving the wires to the connector. If the connector is bad it will cause the car to die. I placed a piece of rubber between the 2 wires where they enter the connector, and this solved the problem.Good luck.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:02 PM

Just did the RCM fix on mine. About a month ago, driving down the freeway, and my '05 NA Limited Roadster (78k miles) died for a 1/2 second at most - CEL popped on and right off. It happened so quickly I barely had time to look at the dash before it was back on and running. Took it home, plugged in the computer - no codes in the computer, all modules reporting.

Flash forward 3-4 weeks - same exact thing happened. Split second loss of power, then running fine.

Today - driving home - she totally died on the freeway at about 35mph (traffic). Eased over to the shoulder, and tried to restart. Nada. All the lights came on, all the electrical worked fine, no beeping, no crazy gauges or dash warnings. Tried to restart a half dozen times with no luck. Got out, checked under the hood (nada), got in, tried to restart again - nada. Called USAA to request road side assistance, and as I was talking to the rep decided to try again (maybe 3-4 minutes after the last time trying, 5-6 minutes total?) she fired right up.

Got home, spent 10 minutes researching it on the forum, pulled the RCM, saw that the solder traces were in BAD shape (part of the black plastic box was even a little melted). Fired up the soldering iron, patched the joints, and she's running good as new - even seems to idle slightly smoother, which might be totally a placebo effect, or might be due to the fuel pump getting better voltage / less resistance from the crap solder joints. Only time will tell if this is the fix, but based on reviews from everyone else who experienced this in the past - I think it is!

Thanks, CFF!
-Kevin

Old 06-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Dii

Originally Posted by syfi
You must be throwing codes...tell us what ja got.
Ok I'm back again
Fustrated as ever
Took car back to shop acourse with same issues, they told me they rewired the crankshaft sensor wiring OK~ drove car for 1wk stalled on Highway while driving 70mph
think this time I'm giving up had a very big scare semi approach in me at very fast speed luckily I was able to get over and off the road THIS TIME.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:52 PM

Dear tighed1

Is this service still available ?

John in Houston

Old 06-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Still.
Procedure is:
  • Mail me your RCM. I'll inspect it, re-solder the bad points and perform the My So Horny Mod.
  • I will then try your RCM in one of my 3, I mean 2 Crossfires (Corky has one) to verify operation.
  • Then I'll mail it back to you Priority Mail (2-3 day envelope). Usually I get it back in the mail the day after receiving it.
Your cost $15. (5 to mail back, 5 for repair, 5 for a beer)
Be generous ($20) and I'll throw in one of these in the color of your choice. STICKER

Best to use my Hotmail address as my Forum mailbox is full. Email address is in my profile.

NOTE TO ALL - When you send the RCM to me PLEASE leave the plastic cover on. Helps prevent damage to the relays during shipping. Also. Leave the fuses installed.

Last edited by tighed1; 07-30-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:38 PM

Many thanks Tighed1! The dealership was not smart enough to figure it out and only thanks to you I was able to trace the problem to the RCM. I did the re-solder and good for two weeks now. I recently bought an oscilloscope and discovered a fuel injector is stuck closed. Ahhh, the car is 10 years old but with only 23K on it. I guess I should have driven it more. Thanks again for the write-up on the Mystery No Start. Cheers. -Norm

Originally Posted by tighed1
How to Relay Control Module (RCM) Repair - (Mystery no Start)
Click here to Go to post 120 for loaner RCM info
Thanks LGV-XFIRE!

This post is in response to the MANY occurrences of the "Mystery No Start" issue. Symptoms being car will die and/or will not restart but may restart after waiting for a while. Also, when attempting to start the engine all electronics work but the engine will not crank.

Hundreds have been spent "repairing" this problem by buying a new Relay Control Module (RCM) and paying for diagnostics, removal and installation.
Well I'm here to help save you some time, $$$ and aggravation cuz YOU will do the repair yer self!

This repair will require that you are able to properly operate a soldering iron. Beyond that it’s pretty easy.
Let’s get started (get it?)!

First four steps might look familiar cuz they come right out of the “Me so Horny” mod.

1. Disconnect the battery.
2. Remove the cover that contains the RCM and pull the RCM out.

3. Disconnect all plugs from the RCM.

4. Remove the protective cover from the RCM. Might take a little prying with small screwdrivers.

5. Inspect the rear of the RCM. Pay particular attention to the area in the yellow outline box located in the lower right hand portion of the photo.

Here are two examples of what you might see.
This is NYPD-Crossfire’s BAD RCM.

And now the close up.

By just slightly touching the center set of connections I was actually able to make and break the electrical connection. No wonder his car wouldn’t start.

Here is my still “good” RCM from the coupe.

As you can see the connections here are also VERY poor. It’s still working but looking like it does it wouldn’t be long before I too would have encountered the Mystery No Start issue.
  • REPAIR
6. Time for the repair. Get yer soldering iron nice and hot and (one at a time) heat the joint and apply additional solder. Be sure that the joint gets hot enough to thoroughly heat the pins that are protruding through the board. The pins are pretty stout and if not heated enough you may get a cold solder joint and end up having a starting problem because of that.

Re-soldiered connections. Compare with the above photo. I think I'm safe now!

NOTE: Now would be a GREAT time to do the “Me so Horny” mod. Two deep cuts in the circuit board. Solder in two wires. That easy!
7. Put the protective cover back on the RCM.
8. Re-connected RCM.
9. Put the RCM back into the main box.
10. Install cover.
11. Connect battery.

Yer Done!

Old 06-21-2014, 09:22 AM

Did this - and - it worked (The check engine light went away). However, when I turned the car on the BAS/ESP light has now come on (it hadn't been on before)....

Old 06-21-2014, 09:29 AM
PNA

Center the steering wheel and then turn right until it is full right and then left to full left and then center it again. Should go off.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:31 AM
PNA

Turn the car onthen center the wheel and then turn right and then full left and then center the wheel again. The light should go off.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by TexasWes
Did this - and - it worked (The check engine light went away). However, when I turned the car on the BAS/ESP light has now come on (it hadn't been on before)....
If you disconnect the battery this will happen. I do not bother with turning the steering wheel left to right, I just back out my drive and it gets fixed.
Turning the wheels lock to lock just puts black rubber marks on the driveway.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the quick advice. That did it.

Happy to have a check-engine light free Crossfire.

Next up... figure out where I can take it to get the batteries in the tire TPS sensors replaced.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by TexasWes
Thanks for the quick advice. That did it.

Happy to have a check-engine light free Crossfire.

Next up... figure out where I can take it to get the batteries in the tire TPS sensors replaced.
The whole sensor is replaced as the batteries are not replaceable by design. $$$$$$$$$$

Old 06-29-2014, 02:40 PM

I have read this thread twice and checked RCM soldered joints .still engine will not turn over,battery OK, starter works if pulse module(when pink wire is run to earth) all fuses checked,still no crank? Any advice/thoughts thanks in hope of any replys

Quick Reply: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)