TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Old 03-20-2015, 04:29 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Originally Posted by jrd1074
First of all, I would like to say thanks for all of the help I gotten from forum members, but need additional help.

These are the things I have done so far and is still having the no crank issue:
1. New Battery
2. Had the key batteries checked.
3. Had the RCM resoldered.
4. Changed out the CPM.

The next thing I plan to check out is the SKreem. Can I disconnect this unit or take it how and have it checked out? Does anyone have any info on replacing this unit?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jrd1074
To check for SKREEM issues you can disconnect the battery for a minute or so after it fails to turn over. If the car will turn over and start two or three times before not turning over again, repeat the battery disconnect and try again. If it is a SKREEM failure the car should turn over again for two or three times again.
The SKREEM module can be rebuilt, it will require that the re builder receives proof that you are indeed the owner. The SKREEM needs the VIN number in its database. They may not return your SKREEM but a rebuilt one.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore looking like an idiot.
I've never noticed that line....

Sorry fishermen. (my great grandfather and uncle were avid ones) I just never have been more bored than when fishing...

Old 03-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After disconnecting the battery, sometimes it will start up just one time. Most of the time it will not.
Is it necessary to have the SKREEM connected? Will the car operate without it?

Anyway, I have made an appointment to take it to Chrysler tomorrow and they will work on it next week.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:54 AM

I believe I am having this problem, past few days I turn the key dash lights up, radio comes on but no starting or even a sound that it wants to start. After between 3-6 tries it then starts. I am not mechanically inclined and just got the car 3 weeks ago, over the weekend just did the sticky ignition fix. I am wanting to know what parts do you soder to make sure it works properly again? Is it just the 3 spots where the close up is for pic 7 , or is it every spot on the board? Thanks everyone.

Last edited by sparklesknox; 03-23-2015 at 10:55 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 03-23-2015, 11:07 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Just the 3 spots.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:22 PM

Another option is that you can send your RCM to tighed1. He will do the repairs and test it before sending it back to you.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:13 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

And don't forget you also get the Me So Horny mod and air pump relay replaced!

Old 03-24-2015, 02:02 PM

So, what issue were you having and what did you do?
I have a start issue, couple of guys with mercedes computers programers tried to find what the problems was, but they could not connected with car computer so we were lost on the problem cause. The only dealership that have the chrysler crossfire programer was 2 1/2 hours far away from were the car was and you know the bills they come with this guys, so I'm so happy now that I did step by step what the ilustration and photos remarked and boom the car started imediately, and so far everything is working propertly. We the Crossfire owners face a dificult situation, Chrysler are eliminating this programers or not investing in them anymore, Mercedes won't touch the car cause for them is not their brand even though it is a SLK 320 all over, so i don't know what we are going to do in the future unless we find a way to eliminate this safety key switch. again thanks for all your help.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:03 PM

The problem was the RCM. this time.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:31 PM

Today, I got the diagnosis back from Chrysler. They said that the Skreem and the Relay block are bad. I was told that it would cost $957.00 before taxes; $500 for parts and $400 for 4 hours of labor.

Has anyone ever changed out these parts and what is the cost for these parts? Also, after changing these out, do they have to be flashed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

SKREEM, yes must be flashed. I don't have a reliable source or price on this.
Relay block ( assuming this is the RCM / K40 module ) - NO. These go for used $25 - $150, new from Pelican $226 :
2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK320 Base Convertible - Engine Miscellaneous - Page 2

As to changing out the RCM, about 5-10 minutes, no tools required other than removing the negative battery terminal.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I will go ahead and pay the Dealer and get this behind me. Hopefully this will do the trick.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:58 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Thanks for the info. I think I will go ahead and pay the Dealer and get this behind me. Hopefully this will do the trick.

Sorry to be the bearer of this news, but once they get you into the bay you may never get it fixed and it'll cost you both arms, legs, first second and third born. If your that strapped for the transportation, I guess your behind the 8 ball. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:05 PM

Yes, you are right. It should be against the law, but what can we do. It certainly helps having this forum.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:32 PM

im having some issues that just started. when i intially start the car it stumbles and dies. if i blip the throttle it will still stumble but not die. it also has a bit of a rough idle after it is warmed up.that has been happening since i bought the car. i have had the eurocharged reflash done about amonth or two ago. car runs an drives fine other than that please help me

Old 03-29-2015, 01:47 PM

The issue I had was that my car would start initially and shut down after 1 second. It would do this twice and it would not restart. I just had my car checked out by Chrysler and their diagnosis indicated that the SKREEM and Relay block was bad.

Your issues appear to be different from mine. Keep reading the posts on this website because I saw where someone had the same issues you are having.

Good Luck

Old 03-29-2015, 10:37 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by stevo1384
im having some issues that just started. when i intially start the car it stumbles and dies. if i blip the throttle it will still stumble but not die. it also has a bit of a rough idle after it is warmed up.that has been happening since i bought the car. i have had the eurocharged reflash done about amonth or two ago. car runs an drives fine other than that please help me
It is odd that you have no CEL, or do you? Is the light on?

If so, you have got to get the code read - we can go from there. Or, maybe just read the codes anyway and see if there are any. Get an Ultragauge (you can google it and order one) or go to Autozone, etc. and get them to read the code(s).

I do know that rough idle can be the Crank Position Sensor, but usually when the CPS goes, the car won't run at all. The MAF being dirty can also cause rough idle and running, and it OFTEN does not set a code. Cleaning or replacing it would be something to try, but replacing it costs a lot of money when you are guessing.

Again, see if any codes are set. Also, how many miles on the car? Plugs and plug wires should be replaced at 100,000 miles and many do it earlier. Mine was throwing misfire codes at 107,000 and plugs and wires cured it.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:19 AM

I have been having the issue with my 04 crossfire where I turn the key and all the dash lights come on, the radio comes on but no sounds at all that the car is even trying to start. It happens very intermittently maybe wont happen for a week then for a few days every time I start the car takes 3 or more tries to start. I did the soldering repair yesterday on the 3 spots as per the instructions(and I actually had my dad come from Chicago to do it as he has been soldering my entire life so that I know it was done right) and as soon as I put the RCM back same thing, took me 3 tries to get it to start. I have been going through the forum here but there are a lot of posts, is there something else that it might be, or do I simply need a new RCM. Any information is great or if someone could point me to another forum to start reading that may help. thanks in advance.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:26 PM

Thanks to all who posted how to fix the rcm.my wifes started doing ths same thing last week.pulled the rcm out and soldered those terminals.put it back together.runs like a top now.i also replaced the cps for safety first.momma's real happy

Old 04-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Doh!
Posted in wrong thread!

Oh well while I'm here. YES, still doing the RCM repairs/Mods.
__________________________________________________ _

For $20 I inspect, redo bad solder joints, perform the Me So Horny mod (horn works w/o key) and replace the Air Pump relay (Fault Code PO410).
I then test your RCM in one of my cars. Then I will mail back the RCM to you via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 day). If you want the package insured include an additional $8. FYI, In the few years that I have been doing this only one has been lost in the mail.
In most cases I get the RCM back in the mail the day after I receive it so yer looking at about a week total.

If the Fuel Pump Relay needs replacing that's an additional $5 ($25 total).

Send an email with your address to:
tighed1@hotmail.com

Please use this email also to correspond instead of the forum mail. My mailbox is full there.

DJ

Last edited by tighed1; 04-09-2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: wrong thread!

Quick Reply: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)