TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Knee Bolster Removal

Old 07-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Knee Bolster Removal

Can anyone help with instructions on how to remove the knee bolster on the drivers side. I tried but with no luck. I've been a new owner/member since May/06 and find this site to be the best with all the good information that is shared.
Thanks,
Illinois

Old 07-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: knee bolster removal

If you look just forward of the bottom of the bolster, there are 2 hex head (I think) screws.
I would try by removing those, and removing the panel held in by them.
That may access the bolster attachments.
Let us know if you try it - I'm going to try it when it's cooler outside.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Good question. Anyone care to chime in?

Old 07-23-2006, 09:37 PM

Check with HDDP. He's gutted his Crossfire for racing. He can probably tell you.

John

Old 07-24-2006, 01:03 AM
Forum Regular

I have the factory manuals, and I was just about to remove the knee bolster today, but got distracted with an oil change. I'll review the manual tonight and post what I find tomorrow...

Old 07-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Forum Regular

I removed all of the screws on the panel below/forward of the knee bolster.
It didn't move one bit.
There's a hole on the RH side of the bolster, but I'm not a contortionist and I couldn't get in a position to see if there's a fastener in there of any sort.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the knee bolster is an integral part of the supplemental restraint system, so I'm afraid the removing it may require the use of a hack saw...

Old 07-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Forum Regular

Yeah just went thru the entire shop manual and nowhere do they describe the removal of this part. It's not even shown in pictures as being apart of the dash. It's not in the repair manual, so your on your own...

Old 07-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Forum Regular

Why don't you be the first to try?
Like it says at the end of your post...

If your not breaking stuff, your not having fun!

Old 07-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Forum Regular

I'm kinda busy right now with work and school, but it's on my list. I'll let you know when I've finished, being 6'1" I like as much room as I can get so it should be within the month.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 178
Can anyone help with instructions on how to remove the knee bolster on the drivers side. I tried but with no luck. I've been a new owner/member since May/06 and find this site to be the best with all the good information that is shared.
Thanks,
Illinois
Are you referring to the lower dash molding? If so I took this off when I got the car in order to fit my hands free phone kit; I seem to remember it being a bit of a fiddle to get the bonnet release lever detached but it was quite straightforward. Here's the extract from the manual:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lowerdash.jpg (145.6 KB, 1257 views)
Old 07-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Forum Regular

Yes that's the one but there is no picture of the knee bolster. I wonder if it's one piece or added later?

Old 07-24-2006, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by dynamicS
Yes that's the one but there is no picture of the knee bolster. I wonder if it's one piece or added later?
Sorry, I don't understand. If that is the molding, then that is the picture in my post.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by woody
Sorry, I don't understand. If that is the molding, then that is the picture in my post.
Simon, there is an additional piece attached to the bottom of that (a knee bolster) an the US cars. On most cars it is slightly padded to help avoid injury to the knees/legs in a crash. In the crossfire, it is hard plastic like the lower panel, takes up considerable space, and offers little protection (I think). It may very well be welded (melted, for lack of a better word) to the lower panel.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by danimal
Simon, there is an additional piece attached to the bottom of that (a knee bolster) an the US cars. On most cars it is slightly padded to help avoid injury to the knees/legs in a crash. In the crossfire, it is hard plastic like the lower panel, takes up considerable space, and offers little protection (I think). It may very well be welded (melted, for lack of a better word) to the lower panel.
Thanks for clearing that up Danimal. I didn't know the US cars had an additional bolster. I'll have to look at some interior pics of the US cars to see what you mean. Perhaps if you drop the lower molding you might find some fixings for the bolster on the rear of the panel.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by woody
... Perhaps if you drop the lower molding you might find some fixings for the bolster on the rear of the panel.
I was thinking the same thing. For those that want to remove it, that would probably be your best bet...then you can let the rest of us know how it is actually attached.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a little FYI, the knee bolster is there to keep you positioned properly for a potential airbag deployment in the event of a crash. US-spec cars are required to be able to restrain an un-belted adult in the event of a collision. The knee bolster was probably the only way they could prevent the crash test dummies from sliding under the steering wheel and getting their heads blown off by the airbag. So, if you regularly drive without your seat belt fastened it might be a good idea to leave the bolster where it is.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobs
Just a little FYI, the knee bolster is there to keep you positioned properly for a potential airbag deployment in the event of a crash. US-spec cars are required to be able to restrain an un-belted adult in the event of a collision. The knee bolster was probably the only way they could prevent the crash test dummies from sliding under the steering wheel and getting their heads blown off by the airbag. So, if you regularly drive without your seat belt fastened it might be a good idea to leave the bolster where it is.
well then just gonna have to remove that airbag.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs
Yea It is a shame the non USA drivers will all get seriously injured in a crash.
We should go over seas and start putting bolsters on all the crossfires and MB cars.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to guess, the bolster is attached to the lower panel with screws or something like that, so removing it will leave holes behind. Could someone not in the US find out the different part numbers for the different color lower dash panels from their local dealers for us US drivers? I would really really like to get a panel that does not have the bolster. My upper shin grazes that bolster while depressing the clutch at times, so not having one would make the car a LOT more comfortable.

Quick Reply: Knee Bolster Removal