TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Rear Window Fix

Old 05-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Rear Window Fix

My rear window came lose from the canvas (as they all do.). Since I have the extended Chrysler warranty, I though, "no problem." Wrong! NOT COVERED as this is considered trim. Called a trim shop and they said "I had to replace the entire convertable top," since this is a head strip afixed item.

Well, after some internet research, I decided to try the black 3M™ Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. I applied it to the rubber on the window (the entire window is framed with a rubber ring) and the flap that runs on the inside of the canvas opening for the window. I did this with a 1/2 inch flat artist brush. After a few minutes of setup time, I lined up the window with the opening. (Since this is a contact cement you only get one shot at this.) This is a two person job. (The wife helped.) I pushed the window against the frame and held it in place with a heavy weigted bag from the inside. On the outside, I used some 2" Aluminum A/C duct tape with half on the glass an half on the canvas to hold the canvas to the glass. (Not that it needed much holding.)

After a few hours of drying time, I removed the tape and the bag. The results is a fixed window for about $10.00. I has only been a week, but the fix is "solid". I drive I-95 every day at about 70 MPH, which puts a load on the rear window, and it is a good as new. Good for now, I guess only time will tell.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
#M.jpg (1.9 KB, 711 views)
Old 05-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Default Re: Rear Window Fix

Sounds like a good job .... I repaired mine using 3M Window Weld about 4 mos ago, and it is holding also.
Report back occasionally to let everyone know how it's doing. My car was a Florida car also, but now it lives in Illinois. Brought it back 3 mos ago......

Old 05-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cisa
My rear window came lose from the canvas (as they all do.).
This really seems to be a Florida issue as virtually every complaint of this type seems to come from there - I don't recall anyone in California reporting this issue.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wonder if it's a combination of the heat and humidity

Old 06-24-2010, 12:01 PM

The back glass on my '05 roadster just came apart recently (north Louisiana here). The first sign was finding moisture inside the trunk and realizing the glass was leaking in water and slowly falling off!! I had tried the 3M Window Weld and it ended up being too messy but it probably would've turned out better if I had had more time and patience. I'm going to give the 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive a try today and hopefully works out better for me. cisa, thanks for the advice!

Last edited by JamesMc; 06-24-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:35 PM

By the way, did you guys use 3M single step Primer before using the adhesives? Or is that not neccessary?
I need to reattach my back glass as well and I am trying to collect as much info as possible so I can do it right. Thanks!

Old 06-25-2010, 07:47 PM

I just cleaned the glass with a razor blade- the factory glue on the fabric part rubbed off pretty easily by hand. My 2nd attempt didn't turn out right either though. Think I'm gonna have to check on the dealership or a glass/windshield business to see if they can get it done right. Good luck!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:37 PM

Hum... how much was your glass detached, was it more than half or just partial?

I went to the dealership and they directed me to a glass/fab shop, I called the fab shop and they told me exactly what the people online attemped.

Did you by any chance use the

3M Single Step Primer

That's what people online used by it was not mentioned in the treads here...

I haven't decided to go with which adhesive yet, a tough decision

MOst people online mentioned using that first and let it sit for 10mins before apply the urethean,

Old 06-25-2010, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by IBLUBYU
Sounds like a good job .... I repaired mine using 3M Window Weld about 4 mos ago, and it is holding also.
Report back occasionally to let everyone know how it's doing. My car was a Florida car also, but now it lives in Illinois. Brought it back 3 mos ago......

Would you by any chance use the primer before the Windo weld or just applied direct. Did you scrap the glass or left as is and attached adhesive?

Thanks for the info

3M Single Step Primer
SKU:

Old 07-06-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by zz23
Would you by any chance use the primer before the Windo weld or just applied direct. Did you scrap the glass or left as is and attached adhesive?

Thanks for the info

3M Single Step Primer
SKU:
Yeah, I'm also currious as to what to do. My window just started peeling off my top last week... I'm not sure which product to try first.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

More info on this TOPIC.

My repair is still holding.
Be sure to reinspect once in awhile as I found other areas starting to separate. Did the repair on those areas too.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
More info on this TOPIC.

My repair is still holding.
Be sure to reinspect once in awhile as I found other areas starting to separate. Did the repair on those areas too.
That's amazing, so it has lasted over a year? Did you use the primer before the 3M Window Weld?

Old 07-06-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by lookingforanswers
That's amazing, so it has lasted over a year? Did you use the primer before the 3M Window Weld?
I repaired my window seal using the method tighed1 used in his linky thread above. Also scroll down to my follow-ups ...... hope this helps. The stuff he used is amazing.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Did not use the primer.

The adhesive mentioned in this current thread 3M™ Super Weather strip Adhesive is not as strong as what I used. That is why I provided the link to the other post. I think you will have better results, longevity wise, using the 3M Window-Weld (08609).

Old 07-06-2010, 09:01 PM

Still Holding STRONG with the 3-M. Just cleaned with a little acetone. No primer needed. Just follow my post and good luck. (It is black messy stuff.)

Old 11-28-2010, 03:12 PM

I bought the 3M Window Weld and I am gonna go give it a try right now (if I can avoid playing online poker instead). I live in Dallas and the rear window of my 05' roadster starting to come off about a month ago. It is only about 1/4 of the way peeled off on the drivers side from what I can tell.

My dealer said that they could replace the entire top for $250, but I figure I will give this a try first. If it does not hold, then I can have them replace it later.

It is currently 65 degrees here in Dallas, so hopefully that is not too cold for this repair.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:55 PM

Go for it, mine is still holding fine! They wanted $1,500 for a new top in south Florida. My $10 and some of my time was a GREAT investment for me. It will hold. Mine was only hanging from the top. Both sides and the bottom were undone.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by XFireCrazy
My dealer said that they could replace the entire top for $250, but I figure I will give this a try first. If it does not hold, then I can have them replace it later.
How the heck are they going to replace the entire top for $250? Do you have some kind of warranty that covers it?

Old 12-07-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieO
How the heck are they going to replace the entire top for $250? Do you have some kind of warranty that covers it?
Yeah, I was just barely out of the manufacturers warranty and into my extended warranty. My rep at the Dodge/Chrysler dealer is very good to me and he talked Chrysler into doing this for a $250 deductible for me. He tried to get them to cover it completely under the warranty, but they told him they would need the $250.

I decided to go ahead and use the Window Weld, since my top is in pretty good condition still and I did not want to spend the $250. The window weld seems to be holding.... though it has been to cold to drop the top to test it out and there has not been any rain yet. lol That will be the true test.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by XFireCrazy
Yeah, I was just barely out of the manufacturers warranty and into my extended warranty. My rep at the Dodge/Chrysler dealer is very good to me and he talked Chrysler into doing this for a $250 deductible for me. He tried to get them to cover it completely under the warranty, but they told him they would need the $250.

I decided to go ahead and use the Window Weld, since my top is in pretty good condition still and I did not want to spend the $250. The window weld seems to be holding.... though it has been to cold to drop the top to test it out and there has not been any rain yet. lol That will be the true test.
You really should pay the $250 for the new top while Chrysler is willing to do it. Then save the "fix" in case it happens again.
Dont be penny wise and dollar foolish

Quick Reply: Rear Window Fix