TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Nitrous N/A

Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous N/A

So after doing research on it, I've decided that a turbo N/A is not only next to impossible but just not cost effective at all.

I've decided to go the alternate route and get nitrous. Now I've never used nitrous before so I'm just asking some questions. By the way I'm getting a used ZEX kit from a kid I met for $300.

First off what size jet can I run on a stock (Magnaflow and TVT intake) N/A?

Will I need to upgrade my injectors as well to be safe?

What else will I need to do? (I know it's vague but like I said I've never used NO2 before.)

And finally any other information/suggestions you have I'm open to hear your discussion.

Thanks everybody!

Old 06-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Nitrous N/A

Originally Posted by BLK04LMTD
So after doing research on it, I've decided that a turbo N/A is not only next to impossible but just not cost effective at all.

I've decided to go the alternate route and get nitrous. Now I've never used nitrous before so I'm just asking some questions. By the way I'm getting a used ZEX kit from a kid I met for $300.

First off what size jet can I run on a stock (Magnaflow and TVT intake) N/A?

Will I need to upgrade my injectors as well to be safe?

What else will I need to do? (I know it's vague but like I said I've never used NO2 before.)

And finally any other information/suggestions you have I'm open to hear your discussion.

Thanks everybody!
just search nitrous kit....TVT had an install step by step as has others....

Old 06-12-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
just search nitrous kit....TVT had an install step by step as has others....
Yeah I read the install instructions on the ZEX site, but it's not Crossfire specific and I'm just wondering mainly with the complex fuel mapping of our cars how it will react and what other things I should do before bolting it on...I understand how to install it just not about how a Crossfire will react.

Thanks doc.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:13 AM

Yeah I read the install instructions on the ZEX site, but it's not Crossfire specific and I'm just wondering mainly with the complex fuel mapping of our cars how it will react and what other things I should do before bolting it on...I understand how to install it just not about how a Crossfire will react.

Thanks doc.
well, it will react like "WOW" ......but, it is like everything else we do to the cars, there's always risk we will damage the engine...if you stay within in reason, it shouldn't be a problem...but no 150 shots....lol

Old 06-12-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
well, it will react like "WOW" ......but, it is like everything else we do to the cars, there's always risk we will damage the engine...if you stay within in reason, it shouldn't be a problem...but no 150 shots....lol
LOL right, the kit I'm getting has a 75 jet and a 100 jet, I want to go with the 100 shot.

I mainly want to know from someone who has done it what type of fuel upgrades (if any) they have had to do to get the HP they wanted from a 100 shot. ie. injectors, fuel pump, pressure regulator..etc.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL right, the kit I'm getting has a 75 jet and a 100 jet, I want to go with the 100 shot.

I mainly want to know from someone who has done it what type of fuel upgrades (if any) they have had to do to get the HP they wanted from a 100 shot. ie. injectors, fuel pump, pressure regulator..etc.
It really might be a better idea if you start with a smaller jet, and slowly working your way up to the larger sizes, just so that you know that your car is running right from one stage to the next.

Its a lot easier to start small, and work your way up, looking for unpleasant changes, than it is to start big, have something make a sickening noise, and wish you had started smaller.

BC.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bladecutter
It really might be a better idea if you start with a smaller jet, and slowly working your way up to the larger sizes, just so that you know that your car is running right from one stage to the next.

Its a lot easier to start small, and work your way up, looking for unpleasant changes, than it is to start big, have something make a sickening noise, and wish you had started smaller.

BC.
This seems like sound advice.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bladecutter

BC.
Yeah good idea I didn't think of that.. Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:05 PM

Whoah! Hold on there. I've used nitrous on lots of cars but I have not yet used it on a Crossfire. Some questions first.

Is this a 'wet kit'? A wet kit has solenoids and jets for nitrous AND fuel. A 'dry' kit is nitrous only. Dry kits ar great and very easy to install, for applications to about 50-60HP Beyond that, I would not trust the engine managment system on any 'stock' car to compensate for the additional fuel needs. I have heard of guys getting away with 150 shot on large displacement V8's, but I'd go nowhere near that on the V6. The wet kit nozzle injects fuel in front of the high pressure nitrous stream and mixes the two very effectively, puddling and wet spots are things anti nitrous guys talked about 10 years ago. new nozzles are very good. I have not dug very far into the Crossfire motor yet but ideally for ease of install, you can hook the fuel supply line up to the Schrader fitting (usually used for fuel pressure diagnostics) and its a perfect, easily reversable source for fuel enrichment.

Did the kit you bought come with a bottle warmer? Nitrous is in the bottle in a liquid form but you need it to gas out of that bottle above 900 PSI. A cold/cool bottle will never get to that PSI. 85 degress F is right around the perfect bottle temp though plenty of guys run them up to 100. Higher the temp, higher the pressure.

Does the kit have a pressure gauge? How about a remote bottle opener? If not you will want to be able to rech the bottle from the drivers seat and if it is in the driver area, it's illegal. Catch 22 on that one, trunk mount with remote is the way to go.

How about you snap a pic of what you have and I'll see what jumps out at me. Hypothetically speaking, you could rent a car and install a kit, go racing and then take it off before you return it. *If* you did rent a Chrysler 300 Hemi and did endless drunken burnouts (in a controlled off highway private property setting like a hotel parking lot ) you will have to buy new 18" tires that might amount to $494.85 for two of them YouTube - SDAC 17 Check right about 2:35 for the late night burnout hyjinx. That was only a 100 shot

Or you could rent a Cadillac Northstar V8 and it will gobble up a 150 wet shot no problem YouTube - SDAC 18, Alan's best burnout in Caddy

Nitrous = good times

Old 06-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Forum Regular

i've always wanted to run nitrous in my car but its a daily driver and i don't know how it would fair sitting in the sun all day. i'm afraid it will explode.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by MrSix
Whoah! Hold on there. I've used nitrous on lots of cars but I have not yet used it on a Crossfire. Some questions first.

Is this a 'wet kit'? A wet kit has solenoids and jets for nitrous AND fuel. A 'dry' kit is nitrous only. Dry kits ar great and very easy to install, for applications to about 50-60HP Beyond that, I would not trust the engine managment system on any 'stock' car to compensate for the additional fuel needs. I have heard of guys getting away with 150 shot on large displacement V8's, but I'd go nowhere near that on the V6. The wet kit nozzle injects fuel in front of the high pressure nitrous stream and mixes the two very effectively, puddling and wet spots are things anti nitrous guys talked about 10 years ago. new nozzles are very good. I have not dug very far into the Crossfire motor yet but ideally for ease of install, you can hook the fuel supply line up to the Schrader fitting (usually used for fuel pressure diagnostics) and its a perfect, easily reversable source for fuel enrichment.

Did the kit you bought come with a bottle warmer? Nitrous is in the bottle in a liquid form but you need it to gas out of that bottle above 900 PSI. A cold/cool bottle will never get to that PSI. 85 degress F is right around the perfect bottle temp though plenty of guys run them up to 100. Higher the temp, higher the pressure.

Does the kit have a pressure gauge? How about a remote bottle opener? If not you will want to be able to rech the bottle from the drivers seat and if it is in the driver area, it's illegal. Catch 22 on that one, trunk mount with remote is the way to go.

How about you snap a pic of what you have and I'll see what jumps out at me. Hypothetically speaking, you could rent a car and install a kit, go racing and then take it off before you return it. *If* you did rent a Chrysler 300 Hemi and did endless drunken burnouts (in a controlled off highway private property setting like a hotel parking lot ) you will have to buy new 18" tires that might amount to $494.85 for two of them YouTube - SDAC 17 Check right about 2:35 for the late night burnout hyjinx. That was only a 100 shot

Or you could rent a Cadillac Northstar V8 and it will gobble up a 150 wet shot no problem YouTube - SDAC 18, Alan's best burnout in Caddy

Nitrous = good times

LOL when I started reading your post I was almost on the verge of "oh here we go...let it begin" but you actually have some very good advice as well and the kit does not come with a remote opener or a warmer (I don't think, I haven't seen the kit yet or taken any money out of my pocket) I go to see the kit this Sunday and I'll probably end up buying it for the price anyways. I have more than enough extra funds at that price to buy the remote opener and warmer for it.

Just txt the kid it is in fact a wet kit.

And Cody, stop being a wuss and DO IT lol j/k on the wuss part. Nitrous is absolutely the way to go on the N/A. And you can always take the bottle out when you're not using it (like I'm going to do).

Last edited by BLK04LMTD; 06-12-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:48 PM

I too am considering nitrous on my n/a. I have a new NOS setup for my '85 VW GTI I never installed. It's a wet system. I also have the blowdown tube, pressure relief, remote shut off, pressure guage, and heater jacket for it. I have worked with nitrous on carbs and motronic/jetronic injection, but never on something like the Crossfire. Jetronic was simple with continuous fuel flow, an adjustable pressure regulator, and a full-throttle switch, but I still am not sure what i will be needing for the injection type on the Crossfire besides a controller (and exacly what type), nozzle(s), and placement. Hopefully by next winter I will have everything figured out and get it done! The jet on the system I have is a 50, I think I will start with that and go from there.

-Dave

Old 06-12-2010, 10:24 PM

LOOK UP THIS MEMBER I THINK HE KNOWS SOMETHING

1st Crossfire on NITROUS!
World's fasted Crossfire NA

13.5 sec 1/4 mile 13.4 sec DA
www.paulscrossfire.com
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2949360
http://www.dragtimes.com/Chrysler-Cr...lip-20693.html

Old 06-13-2010, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cody M
i've always wanted to run nitrous in my car but its a daily driver and i don't know how it would fair sitting in the sun all day. i'm afraid it will explode.
Yes, there have been some devistating bottle explosions in unattended cars on hot days. Guess what each one of those has in common? The owners saw fit to defeat/delete the blowdown tube. Stellar idea right?

Mike

Old 06-13-2010, 12:52 AM

LOL when I started reading your post I was almost on the verge of "oh here we go...let it begin" but you actually have some very good advice as well and the kit does not come with a remote opener or a warmer (I don't think, I haven't seen the kit yet or taken any money out of my pocket) I go to see the kit this Sunday and I'll probably end up buying it for the price anyways. I have more than enough extra funds at that price to buy the remote opener and warmer for it.

Just txt the kid it is in fact a wet kit.

And Cody, stop being a wuss and DO IT lol j/k on the wuss part. Nitrous is absolutely the way to go on the N/A. And you can always take the bottle out when you're not using it (like I'm going to do).
No, not gonna flame you for wanting to make power, nitrous is a great way to do it on a NA car Heck, I have it on a couple turbo cars but it's limited to a 35 shot to spool the compressor wheel

Good to see you are buying a wet kit, waaaay safer and better power potential with that set up. ZEX is a decent set up, nice solenoids (the heart of any system) and quality wiring. Likely you will need to outfit the kit with additional componants, but you're expecting that Have a look at the jets that come with the kit, you will want to have at least 14-20 various jets for all the possible combonations. You can't have to many, following the 'industry standard' recipe (X N2 jet with X fuel jet) is only a starting point. You will want to be able to go a little bigger/smaller or higher/lower ratio when combining jets. I get my bits and pieces from nitroussupply.com If you looked at that Chrysler 300 Hemi burnout vid, the car went 15.20@ 91 before install and 13.10@103 after the 125 shot. I was following the suggested sizing and it was not until I downsized the fuel jet 2 sizes, did it come alive . It had a 12 second pass in it but both bottles were dry before the 150 jets could be installed and it was just a one day track rental. Over 2 second improvement in the 1/4 sound good to you? No reason to believe the Crossfire can't do the same.

Mike

Old 06-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There is plenty of info on this subject here in the forum but go to my site to find out that you are going to need a lot bigger budget. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Forum Regular

stick with the wet kits they make tuneing a bit easier. Most companies tell you how much you should adjust the timing and give very conservative advise so just follow thier advise.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem
stick with the wet kits they make tuneing a bit easier. Most companies tell you how much you should adjust the timing and give very conservative advise so just follow thier advise.
you are just so close to those 11's....lol....good advice for a beginner...I am still reading and learning about a possible meth set up, and that makes me nervous...lol

Old 06-14-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by psuperti
There is plenty of info on this subject here in the forum but go to my site to find out that you are going to need a lot bigger budget. Good luck!
Budget is no problem.

That being said I picked the kit up yesterday it has everything with it I wanted and I still need to buy a heater and remote opener. I'm just waiting for my CAI to hook it up I'll take pictures and hopefully have a drag time a few days after that.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:11 PM

So I have the nitrous kit plumbed most of the way just have to finish up mounting the bottle and connecting the lines tonight, I am ordering a micro switch to go under the gas pedal so it will only spray at WOT.

My only question now is does anyone know which relay for the universal garage door opener only has power to it when you press the garage door button? I'm trying to be extra sneaky and cool by powering my nitrous purge through the UGDO. HAHA!

If anyone can help me with this please do. Thanks guys, I'll have pics of the car probably tonight.

Quick Reply: Nitrous N/A