TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Convertible top won't go down

Old 06-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Convertible top won't go down

I have recently been having an issue with my crossfires convertible top not going down. It only happens when it has been sitting in the Florida sun for some time. It is not a problem going up though. I have checked and there are no error codes showing up, and I am not getting an indication that any switches are not operating. I am thinking it may be too much force on the rear bow latch that the hydraulic cylinder cannot overcome. Perhaps the rear bow is not going down enough and there is too much force on the latch. Has anyone seen this problem, or have any suggestions as to what this may be?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts
Default Re: Convertible top wont go down

Are you hearing anything from the release mechanism? Do you get an error beep when you hit the button?

Sounds to me like the heat may be causing one of the many sensors to falsely report that the trunk isn't closed all the way or the divider isn't in position ... something like that.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:42 PM

No, I dont get any beeping, as one of the sensors is not in the right position. In fact I can hear the hydraulic pump running, just no movement. This is why I think the latch that holds down the rear bow may be too tight and the hydraulic cylinder cannot overcome the friction. This has been a mystery to me.
The dealer wanted to replace the computer 3K. I am not convinced this is the problem, as it has no problem raising the top, or operating when it is cooler (mornings).

Old 06-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Received 338 Likes on 298 Posts

Check the trunk divider contacts for corrosion or just a bad contact.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Administrator
Default Re: Convertible top won't go down

Ok, see, you didn't say that you could hear the pump running before.

As to bleeding the system, (in your other thread - why did you start two threads?) it is my understanding that the system relieves all pressure when the top is all the way up AND when it is all the way down.

I don't see where bleeding is needed - ever. BUT I COULD be wrong!

If the pump really is running, then I agree - the sensors that allow the process to start (trunk lid, divider, etc.) are fine.

But now I wonder about the sensors on the cylinders themselves. The various (I"ll call them "Travel" sensors) sensors in the system tell the computer about the position of various cylinders - and from that, the computer makes the decsions about what valves to open and close.

Perhaps one sensor is lying to the computer, causing it to activate the wrong valve. Time for some real troubleshooting! I don't envy you or the mechanic who tackles this one.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:05 PM

Sorry for the confusion. This thing is driving me nuts. I took it to the dealer and they were very confused. The best they could say is that it is the computer,but I don't believe that and certainly at $3000 that wouldn't be my first place to start.
I'll have to get a maintenance manual for the car and dig thru the workings of the top. It is very strange that it only will not go down when it is hot, but it will go up fine when it is hot.
Thanks for your help and if you have any further suggestions I am all ears.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tgreen8219
Sorry for the confusion. This thing is driving me nuts. I took it to the dealer and they were very confused. The best they could say is that it is the computer,but I don't believe that and certainly at $3000 that wouldn't be my first place to start.
I'll have to get a maintenance manual for the car and dig thru the workings of the top. It is very strange that it only will not go down when it is hot, but it will go up fine when it is hot.
Thanks for your help and if you have any further suggestions I am all ears.

When you release the latch for the top do the windows stay up or go down? The reason I asked is I had the same problem with my roadster when I released the latch the windows wouldn't go down all the time then the top would not open. I had to replace the little switch in the header on the passenger side above the windshield. Hope this helps. Pat

Old 06-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yikes! The dealer wants $3k to replace the computer and yet he's not sure of the problem.

It very well could be that your rear cargo compartment divider is not making a good connection. Maybe sitting in the heat causes it to to expand enough that the computer reads that it's not in place. May sure it is unfolded and secured. If it's not, the computer will not let the top go down.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:27 AM

Maybe someone can help me with my convertible top problem. When I use the switch to open the top the windows open, the beeping will continue till you release the switch. The top does not open. I've checked the switch in the truck and held it manually with the divider down and the top still will not open. Just went out and tried it again, pump doesn't run, left key on and window down. I decided to try the open switch again and it opened. Closed the top, shut the vehicle off and tried to open the top again. No go, still same thing. won't open. Let it set for a few min. and it opened. Just confuses me. Of course that doesn't take much!!!

Last edited by dakota-boy1; 06-27-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Heat can cause electronic modules to fail, but I still say it's likely a sensor in the system.

Downloading the service manual (there is a link here, somewhere, I think in the SRT6 section) would be a good idea. It's a hard read, but the systems are explained somewhat well in the manual.

OH HERE IS SOMETHING ... there is an electric cam in the trunklid that locks the trunk closed during top operation, then it retracts when the top is done moving. Now, if the computer it TRYING to move the top, you can hear this cam lock. But also, the cam has a sensor(s) on it to tell the computer the status of the lock. Perhaps that is a sensor to look at!

I have removed my lock assembly as it was not retracting all the way, leaving the trunk locked. I have it tied up under the trim so that it can move (and tell the computer that the trunk is "locked").

So you have these criteria to meet before the top will move:

Car must be moving less than 9 mph.
Top must be released from windshield (sensor!)
Divider in trunk must be deployed (sensor!)
Electric lock in trunk must be activated (sensor!)

THere are also sensors that tell the system in what position all the cylinders are in, I suppose one could be defective, confusing the control module.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Heat can cause electronic modules to fail, but I still say it's likely a sensor in the system.

Downloading the service manual (there is a link here, somewhere, I think in the SRT6 section) would be a good idea. It's a hard read, but the systems are explained somewhat well in the manual.

OH HERE IS SOMETHING ... there is an electric cam in the trunklid that locks the trunk closed during top operation, then it retracts when the top is done moving. Now, if the computer it TRYING to move the top, you can hear this cam lock. But also, the cam has a sensor(s) on it to tell the computer the status of the lock. Perhaps that is a sensor to look at!

I have removed my lock assembly as it was not retracting all the way, leaving the trunk locked. I have it tied up under the trim so that it can move (and tell the computer that the trunk is "locked").

So you have these criteria to meet before the top will move:

Car must be moving less than 9 mph.
Top must be released from windshield (sensor!)
Divider in trunk must be deployed (sensor!)
Electric lock in trunk must be activated (sensor!)

THere are also sensors that tell the system in what position all the cylinders are in, I suppose one could be defective, confusing the control module.
Thanks for the info, Read the manual but have to read it again. Not sure what i did but it is working now. Thanks again for responding

Old 06-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Smile Re: Convertible top won't go down

The velcro worked for me and I have not been able to get my top down for months

Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 PM

We're having the same problem getting the top to open. What did you do with Velcro that made it work for you?

Old 02-07-2013, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Iamfink2
When you release the latch for the top do the windows stay up or go down? The reason I asked is I had the same problem with my roadster when I released the latch the windows wouldn't go down all the time then the top would not open. I had to replace the little switch in the header on the passenger side above the windshield. Hope this helps. Pat
Hi there, I am pretty new to the forum and have been having similar problem with my 05 roadster (as of the first sunny day in Oregon, lol) - the windows aren't going down at all and it seems like this is what is happening (I only bought last summer). Where would you suggest I find the little switch and would you know I should refer to it as?

Thanks,

Gina

Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hrcane
Hi there, I am pretty new to the forum and have been having similar problem with my 05 roadster (as of the first sunny day in Oregon, lol) - the windows aren't going down at all and it seems like this is what is happening (I only bought last summer). Where would you suggest I find the little switch and would you know I should refer to it as?

Thanks,

Gina
I think this is what you are looking for:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/300471140666?...84.m1423.l2649

He is a good seller . I have been buying from him for quite a while. At least You can see the part they are talking about. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum, Ron

Old 09-26-2013, 03:54 PM

Hello people....I have been having the same issue with the top. Took it to my dealership and they replaced the switch. . .then still wouldn't work...took in a couple more times...would work for them and not for me. Today after bringing it home, tried and it still wouldn't work...they sent the tech to my house. . . in reading about the notches on either side of the lift-up gate and the sensors from this forum I went out and talked with him - he went 'in', flashlight in hand and noticed the little hooks were a bit worn. . . but he put the divider up making sure it latched in place then gently pushed it forward a little and then the top worked perfectly. We're going to price the hook and sensor - delivery time and if it goes through this again, that will be the key. Good luck with everyone else having this issue. The top is down and I'm headed out the door.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi AnnaBanana,

The seller I mentioned above has the trunk divider switch for 15.00 - you won't find it much cheaper and he is a nice guy - I bought one just in case! Says he has 2 left.
Chrysler Crossfire LH Cargo Divider Bracket W Switch | eBay
and welcome to the forum too!

Old 11-12-2013, 07:58 AM

Hi there...first off I want to thank you for your suggestion. After 3 trips to the dealership - they replaced the switch to raise and lower the top, then had to tape off some wires that were touching then after reading several posts on here suggested the sensor in the trunk and to the left side (driver side)...in checking on that trip, that's what they found to be the problem. They only charged me $1.62 yep, one dollar and 62 cents for labor and nothing for the part...since it had already had two visits...later found that my extended warranty covered bumper to bumper am being reimbursed for what I put out on the first visit. This dealership is THE best...wouldn't trade them for the world. Again, thank YOU for your suggestion in helping to get Roxanne (my car) repaired. Anna

Old 11-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Administrator

That trunk sensor is most often the trouble.

My car has 98000 miles on it, and I raise and lower the top more than anyone, I live in GA and have the top down many times each month, year around. The hydraulic system itself appears to be robust and well made - I truly believe that raising and lowering the top a lot does not "wear out the system" but instead, exercising it keeps it healthy. The few people who have come here with hydralic problems *SEEM* to be those with low miles and a car that is (perhaps?) "over-babied".

Not that babying a car is not my way - my car gets oil changes every 5000 miles, fleece filters, 100% pure gas (when I can get it) - it gets a lot of attention. It's just that I believe exercising mechanical systems is an effective and legitimate maintenance technique.