TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Great DIY Cup Holder Mod

Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great DIY Cup Holder Mod

First off I would like to say that if this has been posted somewhere I have not been able to find I am sorry…

Now for the good stuff, my girlfriend and I have been researching the issue of the pointless cup holder in our crossfire and this is what we have come up with.
IMG_0203.jpg

First off we had zero use of the glove box. So we empted it out and gave it a nice cleaning.
IMG_0184.jpg

Then we went over to our local Advanced Auto and picked this up. ”$5 adjustable cup holder by Bell”
IMG_0187.jpg

We set it down and lined it up. The holder is a near perfect fit as far as width goes and the length leaves a lot of room for a second holder or for random stuff.
IMG_0190.jpg

I got the long list of tools needed…… screws “included with holder” and a screw driver.
IMG_0194.jpg

I did not feel like looking for a drill so I just pressed with some force and the screws went right in.
IMG_0196.jpg

That’s basically it… You’re almost done.
IMG_0200.jpg

I noticed that the arm rest pops up a little hard and rubs on the back rest. I didn’t want any scratching so we drove to our neighborhood “well you can guess from the pic”. Then we pick up a some Weather stripping “ cost $2 and we got the spongy looking one”.
IMG_0204.jpg

Install a bit of across the top right by the umbrella hooks… I have yet to have anyone notice that its even there and to me it matches very we.
IMG_0208.jpg

NOW ENJOY…

I hope this is helpful to you all I hope this makes it to a Sticky : )

Old 07-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Default Re: Great DIY Cup Holder Mod

Nice cup holder mod... Not sure if we have anything similar here in UK but I'll be looking

Old 07-05-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by HackZ
First off I would like to say that if this has been posted somewhere I have not been able to find I am sorry…

Now for the good stuff, my girlfriend and I have been researching the issue of the pointless cup holder in our crossfire and this is what we have come up with.

First off we had zero use of the glove box. So we empted it out and gave it a nice cleaning.

Then we went over to our local Advanced Auto and picked this up. ”$5 adjustable cup holder by Bell”

We set it down and lined it up. The holder is a near perfect fit as far as width goes and the length leaves a lot of room for a second holder or for random stuff.

I got the long list of tools needed…… screws “included with holder” and a screw driver.

I did not feel like looking for a drill so I just pressed with some force and the screws went right in.

That’s basically it… You’re almost done.

I noticed that the arm rest pops up a little hard and rubs on the back rest. I didn’t want any scratching so we drove to our neighborhood “well you can guess from the pic”. Then we pick up a some Weather stripping “ cost $2 and we got the spongy looking one”.

Install a bit of across the top right by the umbrella hooks… I have yet to have anyone notice that its even there and to me it matches very we.

NOW ENJOY…

I hope this is helpful to you all I hope this makes it to a Sticky : )
Great idea .... I'm sure many folks are lookin for new ways to get a cup holder, but it wouldn't be OK for me, because I have padded the top of the "glove box" with an inexpensive seat belt pad from Farm & Fleet to rest my right arm on, an I couldn't rest my elbow when your holder would be in use. (used tabs of velcro to hold it in place) I use the simple wedge (2 cup holder) between the passenger seat and console.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:41 PM

I like to rest my arm there as well but I never had to much luck with the wedged cup holder. I just hope maybe this can spark someone imagination as to maybe making a fitted insert in the arm rest area out of fiberglass or something. I got this from my Eclipse that cam from the factory with an insert in the arm rest, Any way thanks a lot guys.

Originally Posted by IBLUBYU
Great idea .... I'm sure many folks are lookin for new ways to get a cup holder, but it wouldn't be OK for me, because I have padded the top of the "glove box" with an inexpensive seat belt pad from Farm & Fleet to rest my right arm on, an I couldn't rest my elbow when your holder would be in use. (used tabs of velcro to hold it in place) I use the simple wedge (2 cup holder) between the passenger seat and console.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:57 AM

My cup holder is just that... a cup holder!
but not the one in the center console... mine has two cup holders... one of the kind that you can get at any truckstop, or autoparts store...

you know the kind that are supposed to clip over the 'ledge' of the window, and hold your cup? Well, just bend the elbow straight.. and then stick it up under each side of the center console, right in front of the seat, and set the bottom of the cupholder on the floor... voila.... cupholders on each side.. quite functional...and 'out of the way'

For about $2.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:24 AM

great cheap mod, thanks!!

Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for pointing out the possible rub point on the glove box lid, I need to check it out.
Reason being, the Crossfire is the first car I've owned with a place to put my purse.
In the glove box.
My purse fits perfectly, stays off the floor, out of the way and would be near if something were needed.
I'm assuming most of you didn't think to use your's for this

Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 PM

LOL no I have never really thought I would put a purse in my glove box but that is because I dont own one, but on the other hand I am happy that my idea can help you in some way...

Old 09-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I keep gloves in the glove box. Work gloves to be precise. Very handy when I load materials on my aluminum lumber rack that I had bolted to the coupe roof.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dinasrt
I keep gloves in the glove box. Work gloves to be precise. Very handy when I load materials on my aluminum lumber rack that I had bolted to the coupe roof.
Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! Say it ain't so!!!!!!

Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! Say it ain't so!!!!!!
He's just kidding RIGHT?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It ain't so; just having fun. When my wife realized how much I was into Modding the SRT, she says to me (because I'm a building contractor) "just don't be putting a lumber rack on it". She was making reference to the fact that I always want to drive it. I thought it was pretty funny, and for a brief moment I actually thought about it.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:14 PM

Don't be foolish everyone knows it would be WAY nicer with the rear deck lid removed and a Truck box added
Don't get me wrong it must be a short box.