TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

"Body control module" failure

Old 08-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile "Body control module" failure

I'm new to the forum, so please be kind. I have a 2005 Crossfire Roadster. Last winter I had mice eating under the hood. On a recent trip, the spoiler stopped retracting, and the top stopped working. My investigations showed Fuse #7 was blown. It re-blows when a new fuse is put in, before the ignition is turned on. #7 is listed in the owner's manual as "Electronic Transmission Control" and BCM (Body Control Module?). In the fuse box, there's a sheet of paper which says #7 is " Central Control Module". I looked in the relay control fuse box, took all that stuff out (what a rat's nest of wires!!) and found a wire beneath the RCM which was stripped for a half inch, and half the wire strands were broken, by abrasion against a sharp mold tip underneath the RCM. I spliced and insulated and padded that, with no relief of the problem. There's no response to the top control button, nor the spoiler control button, and the lights on those buttons don't light.
The top control module looks OK, the outside of the BCM looks OK, and I can't find any other loose harness connectors, frayed wires, or obvious problems.
The nearest Chrysler dealership with any exposure to Crossfires is several hours away. I'm retired and on limited income now. Anyone got any ideas where I should look next?? Where does the wiring for the top and the spoiler coincide, where I could have a short to ground? Would the BCM blow and cause this?