TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Help Ignition issue

Old 09-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Ignition issue

Hello everyone. I read thru the post and found the how to and downloaded the step by step instructions on how to resolve the sticky key issue. The instructions are awesome. I have the issue where the key wont turn at all. I followed them and then skipped to the end to tap out the pin, which I did and now the steering wheel will spin freely but I still can not get the key to turn over. Have I missed a step here or need to do something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Default Re: Help Ignition issue

So I have a problem and I have read ever post inn the net and I dont see anyone else with it. I made one mistake maybe 2. I forgot to pull the cable of the battery. The other possible issue is I was unable to get the key to turn to the next position so I just pulled the the whole part out. I popped the little lid off and pulled the 2 parts out. The key now turns freely. I pout it back in and connected everything. Now the car will start but then die. I have clearly tripped some type of security feature. Does anyone know how to reset this? I would paypal 40 bucks to anyone who can help me get it started and working correctly.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you by chance mess up the atena wire? the balck ring that goes around the key opeing is an antena. Can you use your remote to lock and unloct the car? You may want to disconnect the battery again for a few minutes and then re-connect it.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:46 PM

The remote works with the locks and alarm. It will start the car twice but it dies within seconds. After you try starting it twice the the next tries will do nothing. If you unplug the battery for a few minutes you again can start it up twice. The ring and black wire all look good. It really feels like a safety issue.

The other thing that bothers me is I didn't pull the key lock out before i pulled the entire unit out. The instructions (which were really well done) have you do all these extra steps first before you pull the whole thing out of the car. Obviously my way was much simpler which makes me think by not pulling the key lock mechanism out first before sliding the unit out of the steering column I tripped some type of safety switch.

Any ideas appreciated

Old 10-03-2010, 08:13 PM

The SKREEM contains an RF transceiver and a microprocessor. The SKREEM transmits RF signals to and receives
RF signals from the ignition key transponder through a tuned Sentry Key Antenna Ring that is wired to the
SKREEM. If the Sentry Key Antenna Ring is not mounted properly around the ignition lock cylinder housing, communication
problems between the SKREEM and the ignition key may arise. These communication problems will
result in ignition key transponder-related faults. The SKREEM also communicates over the Controller Area Network
(CAN) data bus with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the Instrument Cluster, the Body Control Module (BCM),
and/or the DRB III
T scan tool.

TRY AND MAKE SURE THE RING IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY ENSURE THAT THE PLUG FOR THE RING IS PLUGED IN ALL THE WAY I PULLED MINE OUT WHEN I DID THIS JOB.

IT IS NOT A FUN JOB IF YOU HAVE TO REPLUG IT IN.

GOOD LUCK

OTIS

Old 10-11-2010, 03:58 PM

I have had the above issues with the sticky key probs also. I did the steps abouve but i unpluged my transponder coil and i dont no where is plugs in! does anyone know where to plug the transponder coil into? Its not on the housing for the ignation.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by imforreal805
I have had the above issues with the sticky key probs also. I did the steps abouve but i unpluged my transponder coil and i dont no where is plugs in! does anyone know where to plug the transponder coil into? Its not on the housing for the ignation.
Obviously the plug is within the distance that the wires will reach. Other than that I have no idea.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:17 PM

Page 8e-69

Service Manual 2004 Crossfire You Will Not Like This It Is Pluged Into The Security System Module Behind The Instrument Cluster.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Default New Car Report Advisory for: John Penz

New Car Report Advisory for: John Penz

New Car Reports for your model car(s) have been issued by the U.S. Dept. of Transportation in the last 30 days.
You last viewed your Car Reports on: 08-16-2010.

2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE

2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE ROADSTER
1 New Report(s)

4 New Report(s)
View Now

---- REPORT VIEWER CONTROLS ----

There are 3 Saved Cars in Your List | Add a Car | Remove Current Car |
Select a Model Car from List to Load 2004 Chrysler Crossfire 2005 Chrysler Crossfire 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster
Select Report Type to Load | Complaints | Car Recalls | Bulletins | Investigations |
Select Age of Car Reports to Load | All Reports | Added Last 45 Days |

---- JOHN PENZ DASHBOARD PROFILE FOR CURRENT CAR ----
Car Ratings: Please Rate this car Rate | Members Rated this car 4.33 | View All Chrysler Ratings
Car Comments: View Your Comments | View Other Member Comments | View Summary Page for this Car
Warranty Expiration Reminder: NOT scheduled for this car. SCHEDULE | Report Notification ON Turn OFF

Extend the Life of Your Car Today
Check the Extended Warranty options available.
"Get Peace of Mind ... No repair bills ... No car payments."
CLICK to find out more. -- EXTENDED WARRANTY FACTS --
Click Here to get a Quick Quote
View limitations by manufacturer
Read about Secret Warranties

Car Reports Database Last Updated 10/10/2010 9:13:09 AM
---- CAR REPORT VIEWER ----

31 Consumer Complaint Reports Now Loaded - Last Complaint added on: 09/22/2010

----- Select Car Report Type to Load In Report Viewer ------ - Select Report Age -

Complaints 31
Car Recalls 0
Bulletins 0
Investigations 0

ALL Past
Last 45

QTY COMPONENT GROUP AFFECTED
1 Air Bags, Seats, Seat Belt Reports Read Reports in this Group Close

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10281191

Component: AIR BAGS

Details: I HAD AN ACCIDENT RECENTLY HITTING A TREE AVOIDING A CHILD RUNNING INTO MY STREET. I HAVE INJURED MYSELF HITTING THE STEERING WHEEL HARD. I THINK MY NOSE WAS BROKEN AND A WEEK LATER IS STILL BOTHERING ME, 2 BLACK EYES. HERE IS THE ISSUE: I BOUGHT THIS 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE LTD ROADSTER ONLINE FROM MAC HAIK CDJ IN AUSTIN AND TOOK PHYSICAL DELIVERY AT THEIR MAC HAIK CHEVROLET HERE IN HOUSTON. MY INJURY IS DUE TO THE FACT THAT MY AIRBAG DID NOT DEPLOY AND MY SEATBELT DID NOT LOCK. AT THIS SPEED, @ 20 MPH, THE BELT WOULD HAVE SECURED ME FROM INJURY. WHERE IS THE LIABILITY HERE FOR THIS? IS IT LEGAL FOR A FRANCHISE DEALER TO SELL A VEHICLE WITHOUT A FUNCTIONING AIRBAG AND SEATBELT? PLEASE ADVISE. *TR

Occurrences: 1 Injuries: 1
Fail Date: 08/15/2009 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 8/20/2009

[FILE] your own complaint on this model car.

0 Air Conditioner, Heater, Ventilation Reports No Reports in this Group

0 Brake Reports No Reports in this Group

0 Child Safety Seat Reports No Reports in this Group

2 Electrical System Reports Read Reports in this Group Close

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10355481

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Details: IGNITION KEY MECHANISM DOES NOT WORK WITHOUT MOVING THE STEERING WHEEL BACK AND FORTH UNTIL IT RELEASES AND ALLOWS THE KEY TO START THE CAR. EVERYTIME THE CAR IS STOPPED, IT CAN TAKE UP TO 5 OR MORE MINUTES TO RESTART BY MOVING THE STEERIING WHEEL BACK & FORTH WHILE TRYING TO TURN THE KEY. DEALERSHIP HAS NO ANSWERS. SAYS REPLACE PARTS ARE ON NATIONAL BACK ORDER. THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING SINCE WE PURCHASED THE CAR IN FEB OF 2009

Occurrences: 1 Injuries: 0
Fail Date: 07/15/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 9/14/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10210474

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Details: 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE LIMITED, 13, 800 MILES. STOPS RUNNING WHILE DRIVING/WONT START UP AFTER STOPPING. THIS HAS HAPPENED A TOTAL OF 6 TIMES. 1ST TIME VEHICLE RESTARTED AFTER 20 MIN. DEALER REPAIR SERVICE SAID WAIT TO SEE IF HAPPENS AGAIN, MAYBE THE THEFT MODE KICKED IN FOR SOME REASON. 2ND TIME I STOPPED FOR GAS, CAR WOULDNT START. LIKE YOU WERENT PUSHING IN CLUTCH BUT YOU WERE. TOWED TO DEALER. REPLACED CLUTCH SWITCH. 3RD TIME DRIVING AT 50 MPH, CAR JUST SHUT COMPLETELY SHUT OFF. ENGINE AND ALL. FELT LIKE HITTING A BRICK WALL. ALMOST HIT BY SEVERAL VEHICLE INCLUDING TOUR BUS AT TIME IT HAPPEN. VEHICLE TOWED. DEALER PUT IN PROCESSING SENSOR. 4TH TIME WAS SLOWING DOWN FOR RED LIGHT, VEHICLE SHUT DOWN COMPLETELY AGAIN. TOWED. DEALER PUT NEW COMPUTER IN IT. 5TH TIME. STOPPED AT BANK. LEFT CAR IDLE MODE WHILE USING ATM. CAR SHUT OFF. STARTED AFTER ABOUT 15 - 20 MIN. IT WAS AFTER DEALER HOURS SO WENT HOME. AS I PULLED IN DRIVE THE CAR SHUT OFF. TOWED. DEALER PUT MODULE AND RELAY IN IT. 6TH TIME. STARTED CAR IN GARAGE. PUT IN NEUTRAL TO SO CAR COULD WARM UP. IT SHUT COMPLETELY DOWN. TOWED. DEALER PUT BATTERY IN. THE CAR HAS SHUT DOWN WHILE DRIVING FAST/SLOW/IDLING. IN 8 WEEKS IT HAS BEEN TOWED IN 5 TIMES, SPENT 6 WEEKS AT DEALER. UNKNOWN IF VEHICLE FIXED. IT HAS ONLY BEEN BACK ONE DAY. HAVE REQUESTED AREA REPS NAME, DEALER/CORPORATE REFUSED NAME/CONTACT. SPOKE WITH CORPORATE AND DEALER PRINCIPLE REQUESTING A BUY BACK AND WAS BLOWN OFF. *TR

Occurrences: 6 Injuries: 0
Fail Date: 09/28/2007 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 12/1/2007

0 Engine and Engine Cooling System Reports No Reports in this Group

0 Equipment Reports No Reports in this Group

0 Fuel, Exhaust, Emissions Control Reports No Reports in this Group

0 Interior System Reports No Reports in this Group

0 Lighting and Communications System Reports No Reports in this Group

6 Misc. Component Reports Read Reports in this Group Close

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10355983

Component: UNKNOWN OR OTHER

Details: 2005 CROSSFIRE CONVERTIBLE BACK WINDOW MUST BE DEFECTIVE, MOST OF THEM COME APART FROM THE CANVAS AND DEALERSHIP WONT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT

Fail Date: 08/25/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 9/16/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10349739

Details: CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE CONVERTIBLE 2005 REAR GLASS HAS DEFECTIVE GLUE THAT ALLOWS THE GLASS TO DETACH FROM THE CANVAS.IF THE GLASS BREAKS PASSENGERS COULD BE DECAPITATED. THIS IS MANUFACTURE DEFECT THAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED.

Fail Date: 08/16/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 8/16/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10348172

Details: 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE CONVERTIBLE REAR WINDOW GLASS LOOSENED AND FELL OUT. IT APPEARS AS THOUGH GLUE RELEASED DUE TO HEAT BY THE WAY THE GLUE WAS "STRINGING" FROM TOP TO GLASS. CONTACT WITH LOCAL DEALERSHIPS, INCLUDING DEALER PURCHASED FROM, WITHOUT RELIEF OR SOLUTION OTHER THAN TOTAL REPLACEMENT.

Fail Date: 08/04/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 8/9/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10344548

Details: THE BACK WINDOW OF MY 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE CAME LOOSE FROM THE TOP OF THE CAR. IT WAS ONLY HELD TOGETHER BY A LINE OF GLUE, NOTHING ELSE HELD IT IN PLACE.THE DEALERSHIP ONLY GAVE ME REFERRALS TO WHERE I COULD REPLACE WHOLE TOP.

Fail Date: 06/25/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 7/21/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10341764

Details: OWN 2005 CROSSFIRE AND THE GLASS IN THE SOFT TOP IS FALLING OUT. CHRYSLER REFUSING TO BE RESPONSIBLE. ONE ATTEMPT WAS ALREADY MADE TO REGLUE THE AREA COMING UNGLUED, BUT AFTER SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS AND 3 WEEKS LATER .. IT STILL IS FALLING OUT. I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY SEVERAL AUTO REPAIR TOP PLACES THAT THE ENTIRE TOP WOULD HAVE TO BE REPLACED ... ESTIMATED COST $2500!!! I HAVE LEARNED IN THE LAST FEW WEEKS THAT THIS IS A VERY COMMON PROBLEM AND OBVIOUSLY A MANUFACTURE DEFECT AND CHRYSLER SHOULD STEP UP TO THE PLATE.

Fail Date: 07/07/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 7/7/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10295200

Details: VANDALISM TO CONVERTIBLE TOP, SLASHED. CONVERTIBLE TOP NEEDS TO BE REPLACED, REPLACING TOP BY MANUFACTURE WILL TAKE UNTIL AT LEAST JANUARY 29, 2010 FROM OCTOBER. THIS IS HAZARDOUS DUE TO DRIVING WITH A SLASHED TOP CREATES A MAJOR NOISE DISTRACTION AS WELL AS INCLEMENT WEATHER PROBLEMS SUCH AS SNOW AND RAIN DISTRACTS DRIVER AND MAY SOMEWHAT IMPAIR VISION ETC. *TR

Fail Date: 10/31/2009 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 12/10/2009

1 Power Train Reports Read Reports in this Group Close

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10219399

Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

Details: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION JUMPS OUT OF GEAR ON DOWNSHIFT. WILL NOT GO BACK INTO GEAR UNTIL CAR SLOWS TO MINIMAL SPEED OR STOPS. SITUATION HAS LEFT ME STRANDED IN THE MIDDLE OF ONCOMING TRAFFIC ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS AS I HAVE ATTEMPTED TO CROSS TRAFFIC. BEGINNING THIRD WEEK A CHRYSLER DEALERSHIP TRYING TO REPAIR. MULTIPLE ELECTRONIC AND MECHANICAL PARTS REPLACED BUT PROBLEM STILL EXISTS. *TR

Occurrences: 5 Injuries: 0
Fail Date: 01/25/2008 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 2/28/2008

0 Steering Reports No Reports in this Group

5 Structure Reports Read Reports in this Group Close

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10335784

Component: STRUCTURE

Details: CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE 2005 BACK WINDOW FELL OUT, CAME UNGLUED FOR NO REASON, REQUIRES REPLACEMENT OF WHOLE TOP. MANUFACTURERS DEFECT SO INSURANCE WONT PAY AND CHRYSLER CORP REFUSES TO DO ANYTHING TO CORRECT. SAFETY HAZARD, UNABLE TO DRIVE CAR, PUT TOP DOWN, ETC. COST TO REPLACE AT MY DEALERSHIP 1700.00 PARTS PLUS 700.00 LABOR!!!!! HELP - MAKE CHRYSLER PAY TO FIX!!!! *TR

Fail Date: 06/06/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 6/11/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10327522

Component: STRUCTURE:BODY

Details: THE BACK WINDOW IN MY 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE CONVERTIBLE FELL OUT. IT WAS GLUED IN AT THE FACTORY, NOT STITCHED OR BOLTED. REPAIR SHOPS WILL NOT WARRANTY THE WORK, STATING THAT IT WILL FALL OUT AGAIN WITHIN 6 MONTHS BECAUSE THE GLUE THEY CAN USE TO REPAIR THE WINDOW IS NOT AS STRONG AS WHAT IS USED IKN THE FACTORY. CHRYSLER SAYS THE ONLY WAY TO FIX THE PROBLEM IS TO INSTALL A NEW ROOF. THEY STATE THE PROBLEM IS RAMPED AND STEMS FROM A DESIGN FLAW. CHRYSLER HAS CORRECTED THE DESIGN FLAW AND DOES NOT WARRANTY THE 2005 VEHICLE. NO WARRANTY, NO DISCOUNT ON PARTS, NO SPLIT OF FEES, JUST...BUY A NEW ROOF. *TR

Fail Date: 04/23/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 4/26/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10327241

Component: STRUCTURE:FRAME AND MEMBERS

Details: I HAVE A 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE. THE BACK GLASS IS COMING OUT. THE DEALER IS STATING IT CANT BE FIXED BUT HAS TO BE REPLACED.AT A COST OF APPROXIMATELY $3500.00. CHRYSLER IS OFFERING NO HELP. *TR

Fail Date: 10/18/2009 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 4/23/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10274198

Component: STRUCTURE:BODY:ROOF AND PILLARS

Details: TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE ROADSTER. WHILE DRIVING 30 MPH, THE REAR WINDOW FELL OUT OF THE LINER. THE CONTACT TOOK THE VEHICLE TO THE DEALER AND THEY STATED THAT THE ROOF NEEDED TO BE REPLACED. THE PART FOR THE REPAIR IS CURRENTLY ON BACKORDER AND COULD BE UNAVAILABLE FOR MORE THAN A YEAR. THE ESTIMATED REPAIR COST WAS $2,000. THE CONTACT WILL NOTIFY THE MANUFACTURER. THE CURRENT AND FAILURE MILEAGES WERE 22,800. UPDATED 07/17/09 *BF UPDATED 07/20/09.*JB

Fail Date: 06/01/2008 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 6/18/2009

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10232068

Component: STRUCTURE

Details: I AM WRITING THIS LETTER TO INFORM YOU OF WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH WITH THE 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE CONVERTIBLE I PURCHASED 3/21/08 FROM EXOTIC MOTORS IN TARPON SPRINGS,FL ON 6/14/08 I WENT TO GET INTO THE CAR AND NOTICED THE BACK WINDOW CAME OUT/UNGLUED. I CALLED GEICO AND THATS WHERE IT ALL STARTED THEY SAID I HAD A $500.00 DEDUCTIBLE. I THOUGHT I COULD JUST GO TO FIRKINS CHRYSLER AND HAVE IT GLUED BACK IN FOR LESS. WENT THERE AND THEY SAID IT WAS A MANUFACTURES DEFECT BUT SENT ME TO THERE GLASS PERSON MANATEE AUTO TRIM INC. HE LOOKED AT IT AND SAID THE SAME THING MANUFACTURES DEFECT AND WOULD NOT FIX IT AS HE HAS DONE 3-4 IN THE PAST FEW MONTHS AND THEY DON?T TAKE. THAT IN IT SELF SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING. SO MY HUSBAND CALLED CHRYSLER ON 6/16/08 SPOKE WITH MARK HE STATED THEY WOULD BE WILLING TO DO A GOOD WILL REPLACEMENT, SO THE NEXT DAY 6/17/08 I TOOK THE CAR BACK TO FIRKINS THEY PUT IN A WORK ORDER AND INFORMED ME THE CAR TOPS WERE BACK ORDERED. MY HUSBAND THE CALLED CHRYSLER 6/17/08 AND SPOKE WITH MILLIE WHO WAS VERY RUDE AND TOLD MY HUSBAND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE WOULD CHRYSLER PAY FOR THAT AS IT COST TOO MUCH. WHEN HE TOLD HER JUST THE DAY BEFORE HE SPOKE WITH MARK AND HE SAID HE WOULD DO THE GOOD WILL REPLACEMENT SHE SAID NO WAY. I THEN MET WITH MY GEICO ADJUSTER AND HE ALSO SAID THEY WOULD NOT COVER IT AS IT IS A MANUFACTURERS DEFECT. HE TOOK PICTURES AND GAVE ME HIS REPORT, WHICH STATES IT IS A MANUFACTURERS DEFECT, HE ADVISED ME TO SUE CHRYSLER. I CALLED CHRYSLER MYSELF ON 6/18/08 SPOKE WITH RICHARD WHO WAS VERY RUDE, ABRUPT, AND INDIFFERENT AND TOLD ME TO DO WHAT I HAD TO DO BUT HE WAS NOT GOING TO HELP ME. TO SUM THIS LETTER UP I HAVE CONTACTED THE FLORIDA ATTORNEY GENERAL?S OFFICE AND FILED A COMPLAINT. THEY HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL, PUTTING ME IN THE IN TOUCH WITH WHO I NEED TO HELP ME. *TR

Fail Date: 06/14/2008 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 6/23/2008

0 Suspension, Wheel, Tire Reports No Reports in this Group

16 Visual System Reports Read Reports in this Group Close

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10357042

Component: VISIBILITY:REAR WINDOW WIPER/WASHER

Details: I BOUGHT A USED 2005 CONVERT. CROSSFIRE. TEST DROVE IN RAIN. PAID FOR THE CAR IN FULL $14000. HAVE HAD CAR 1 MONTH BACK WINDOW IS FALLING OFF. CALLED DEALER WOULD NOT HELP. HAVE PUT ONLY 350 MILES ON CAR SINCE PURCHASE SOME OF MILES WAS FROM CAR BEING DELIVERED. IT IS NOT SAFE TO DRIVE WITH WINDOW FALLING OUT.

Fail Date: 09/21/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 9/22/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10354191

Details: I OWN A 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE LIMITED EDITION CONVERTIBLE. AUG 23, 2010 I NOTICE THE GLUE SEAL AROUND THE REAR GLASS DRIED UP, WHICH CAUSED THE REAR GLASS TO FALL OUT AND POTENTIAL CAUSE SEVER PROBLEMS FOR THE DRIVER IF NOT CAUGHT IN TIME. THIS IS A KNOWN MANUFACTURES DEFECT, HOWEVER, CHRYSLER WILL NOT OWN UP TO THIS PROBLEM. MY TOP IS LIKE NEW AND IT IS CLEAR TO ME AND OTHERS THIS IS A MFG DEFECT IN THE ADHESIVE. IN MY OPINION, CHRYSLER IS SHIFTING GEARS TO THE CONSUMER AND HOPING THE ISSUE HAPPENS AFTER THE WARRANTY PERIOD. I AM UNDER THE MILEAGE WARRANTY, HOWEVER, I WAS INFORM THE 1ST OWNER OF THE CAR IS WHEN THE WARRANTY BEGINS, THEREFORE, THE CAR IS OUT OF WARRANTY BASED ON THE YEARS AND NOT MILEAGE! THE REPLACEMENT COST IS $3500 FOR A NEW TOP AND GLASS. WE NEED HELP OUT HERE AND YOUR INVESTIGATION IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. WARM REGARDS, JANICE

Fail Date: 08/23/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 9/7/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10348093

Details: I OWN A 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE CONVERTABLE WITH 55,000 MILES ON IT. THIS MORNIGN I WENT TO GET IN THE CAR AND THE BACK WINDOW HAD SEPARATED FROM THE ROOF AND WAS HANGING BY THE DEFROST CONNECTORS. I TOOK IT TO MY CHRYSLER DEALER AND THEY SAID THEY HAD HAD A FEW DO THAT. THE ONLY REMIDY WAS TO REPLACE THE WHOLE TOP! ($2500 !!!) IT SEEMS THE HEAT SEAL ADHESIVE USED TO HOLD THE WINDOW IN PLACE IS INADEQUATE. I CHECKED THE INTERNET AND FOUR MANY REPORTS OF THE SAME PROBLEM. IS CHRYSLER NOT WILLING TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND STAND GOOD FOR THEIR PRODUCT?

Fail Date: 08/09/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 8/9/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10336569

Component: VISIBILITY

Details: I OWN A 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE LTD. ROADSTER THAT HAS JUST REACHED 50K MILES. THE REAR WINDSHIELD HAS FALLEN OUT OF THE SOFT TOP AND IS MERELY HOLDING ON BY THE WIRES FOR THE DEFROSTER. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THIS IS A MANUFACTURERS DEFECT BUT CHRYSLER DECLINES REPLACING IT AS A DEFECT. I HAVE CONTACTED AUTO UPHOLSTERY BUSINESSES TO REPAIR THE WINDOW AND WAS TOLD THAT THERE IS NO WAY TO REPAIR THIS PROBLEM AND THAT A NEW TOP HAS TO BE PURCHASED WHICH WILL COST ME $2000 FOR THE TOP AND THEY MUST HAVE THE CAR FOR 10 DAYS (INCLUDE ANOTHER $400 FOR RENTAL CAR FEES). FORTUNATELY THIS INCIDENT OCCURRED WHEN THE CAR WAS PARKED AND NOT WHILE I WAS DRIVING FOR IT COULD HAVE ENDED UP IN WORSE PROPERTY DAMAGE OR A CAR CRASH. *TR

Fail Date: 06/13/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 6/16/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10335647

Component: VISIBILITY:GLASS, SIDE/REAR

Details: TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE ROADSTER. THE REAR WINDOW THAT IS ATTACHED TO THE IS LOOSE. THE DEALER STATED THAT THE GLASS ADHESIVE WAS NOT SECURING THE WINDOW IN PLACE AS IT SHOULD; YET, THE ENTIRE ROOF NEEDED TO BE REPLACED. REPORT 1958523 WAS FILED WITH THE MANUFACTURER WHO ALSO OFFERED THE CONTACT $727.00 TOWARD THE ESTIMATED REPAIR COST OF $ 1,400.00. THE VEHICLE WILL BE REPAIRED. THE FAILURE AND THE CURRENT MILEAGES WERE 34,900.

Fail Date: 05/26/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 6/10/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10335152

Details: MY 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRES CONVERTIBLES BACK WINDOW IS FALLING OUT FROM THE CANVAS, CHRYSLER WONT REPAIR IT, THEY CONTINUE TO REFER ME TO UPHOLSTERY COMPANIES. I AM VERY UNEASY DRIVING AROUND WITH GLASS DANGLING DANGEROUSLY FROM MY VEHICLE. *TR

Fail Date: 05/18/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 6/7/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10332687

Details: THE REAR WINDOW IS FALLING OUT OF MY 2005 CROSSFIRE ROADSTER CONVERTIBLE. IT IS A GLUED IN WINDOW AND THE GLUE HAS FAILED. WE WERE TOLD TODAY BY CHRYSLER THAT IT WAS NOT WARRANTIED AND COULD NOT BE REPAIRED. THE ONLY SOLUTION THEY OFFER IS TO BUY A NEW TOP FOR OVER $2100. THIS APPEARS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM. NOT ONLY IS IT UNREASONABLY EXPENSIVE TO REMEDY, IT IS ALSO A SAFETY ISSUE. THE TOP COULD EASILY FLY OUT, INJURING A PASSENGER OR SOMEONE IN ANOTHER VEHICLE. CHRYSLER SHOULD OFFER A REASONABLE SOLUTION TO TAKE CARE OF THIS AS IT IS OBVIOUSLY A DESIGN DEFECT AND THEIR RESPONSIBILITY. *TR

Fail Date: 05/28/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 5/28/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10331549

Details: THE REAR WINDOW CAME OUT OF MY 2005 CROSSFIRE WAS INFORMED THIS WAS A COMMON PROBLEM, THE ONLY FIX WAS TO REPLACE THE TOP.THE TOP IS LIKE NEW ,THE PROBLEM IS THE ADHESIVE FAILED. THIS CAR HAS BEEN KEPT IN A GARAGE FOR YEARS . THERE SHOULD BE SOME RECOURSE TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM! *TR

Fail Date: 05/15/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 5/21/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10330552

Details: THE GLASS FROM THE TOP OF MY 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE ROADSTER SUNK IN AS THE GLUE FROM MANUFACTURER DID NOT HOLD UP. IT IS UNDER A MAXIMUM COVERAGE WARRANTY FROM CHRYSLER AND THEY STILL DID NOT WANT TO COVER THE REPAIR B/C IT IS MATERIAL. HOWEVER, IT IS THE WAY MANUFACTURER MADE THE CAR(WITH A SOFT TOP) THEREFORE THE WARRANTY SHOULD COVER THE TOP EVEN IF ITS CLOTH B/C IT IS HOW THEY MADE IT. *TR

Fail Date: 05/08/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 5/15/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10318467

Details: BACK WINDOW FELL OUT WHILE DRIVING DOWN ROAD, IN MY CONVERTIBLE CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE 2005. CALLED CHRYSLER AND WAS NO HELP TO ME. SAID THERE WAS NO RECALL ON THE TOP. SO I REPAIRED MYSELF AND NOW THE TOP LEAKS AND DID DAMAGE TO THE WIRING HARNESS. MY AUTO INSURANCE PAID FOR THE WATER DAMAGE BUT WILL NOT FIX THE TOP. MY EXTEND WARRANTY WILL NOT COVER THE TOP EITHER. I FILL THAT CHRYSLER SHOULD MAN UP AND TAKE CARE OF THIS PROBLEM. *TR

Fail Date: 11/12/2009 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 3/10/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10317910

Details: I HAVE A 2005 CROSSFIRE CONVERTIBLE! I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY FOR THIS CAR AND NOW THE BACK WINDOW IS READY TO FALL OUT!!! IT HAS SEPARATED FROM THE DRIVERS SIDE COMPLETELY. IM AFRAID THE WINDOW WILL FLY OUT COMPLETELY AND KILL SOMEONE WHILE ON THE HIGHWAY!!!! *TR

Fail Date: 03/07/2010 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 3/8/2010

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10295419

Details: THE REAR WINDOW GLASS IS COMING OUT OF THE CONVERTIBLE TOP ON MY 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE. THERE WAS LESS THAN 40,000 MILES ON THE CAR WHEN IT STARTED. WENT TO THE DEALER TO GET IT LOOKED AT AND WAS TOLD THAT CHRYSLER WOULD NOT COVER IT AND THAT MY EXTENDED WARRANTY DID NOT COVER IT. THIS SEEMS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM ON THIS MODEL CAR FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN READING ON THE WEB. WITH ALL I HAVE BEEN READING I WOULD THINK THAT CHRYSLER SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE AND FIX THIS ISSUE. *TR

Fail Date: 10/10/2009 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 12/11/2009

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10286600

Details: MY 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE ROADSTER THE REAR WINDOW IS FALLING OUT OF THE TOP, I TOOK IT TO DAYTONA DODGE DEALER AND THEY TOLD ME THAT THE TOP COULD NOT BE FIXED IT HAD TO BE REPLACED AND IT WAS A 2800.00 REPAIR. THE WINDOW IS COMING UNGLUED FROM THE TOP. I HAVE SEARCHED ON THE INTERNET AND THIS SEEMS TO BE A ONGOING PROBLEM THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. *TR

Fail Date: 10/05/2009 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 10/7/2009

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10280257

Details: THIS IS A COMPLAINT ON A 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE ROADSTER THAT WAS JUST PURCHASED IN JUNE 2009. I WAS LOOKING IN MY REAR VIEW MIRROR ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND NOTICED A SMALL QUARTER INCH GAP BETWEEN MY CONVERTIBLE TOP AND MY REAR WINDOW. WHEN I INSPECTED THE VEHICLE, I ALSO NOTICED ANOTHER GAP THAT WAS ON THE LEFT DRIVER SIDE OF MY REAR WINDOW. THIS GAP IS ABOUT 2 INCHES WIDE AND I CAN LITERALLY STICK MY HAND ON THE INSIDE OF MY CAR. IT SEEMS THAT THE HEAT HERE IN TEXAS HAS MELTED THE GLUE TO THE POINT THAT THE WINDOW IS BECOMING DETACHED FROM THE CONVERTIBLE TOPS CANVAS MATERIAL. SO, I CONTACTED CHRYSLER CUSTOMER CARE ON MONDAY MORNING AND THEY INSTRUCTED ME TO VISIT A DEALER TO SEE IF THEY COULD FIX THE WINDOW. I WENT TO THE DEALERSHIP THAT AFTERNOON AND THEY TOLD ME (VERBATIM) "WE DONT BOTHER WORKING ON THIS VEHICLE BECAUSE IT IS TOO MUCH OF A HASSLE, WE REFER CROSSFIRES TO AN UPHOLSTERY SHOP!" SO, THE NEXT MORNING WHICH WAS TUESDAY, I CONTACT CHRYSLER CUSTOMER SERVICE AGAIN, TOLD THEM WHAT I WAS TOLD AT THE DEALERSHIP AND THEY SAID "PLEASE GO TO A DIFFERENT DEALERSHIP." SO I WENT AGAIN THAT TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND THIS TIME THEY LOOKED AT MY VEHICLE AND SAID THEY WOULD CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE AND GET BACK WITH ME THE NEXT DAY. I RECEIVED A CALL TODAY, WEDNESDAY, SAYING THAT IT IS GOING TO COST $3,000 PLUS TAX TO REPAIR. THEY CANT JUST GLUE THE WINDOW BACK IN, THEY HAVE TO REPLACE THE WHOLE TOP. CHRYSLER ALSO DENIED A GOODWILL REPLACEMENT BECAUSE IT WAS DEEMED UNNECESSARY, AND MY WARRANTY JUST EXPIRED LIKE 20 MILES AGO. THE TOP IS ON BACK ORDER, AS I WAS TOLD BY THE SERVICE MANAGER AT THE DEALERSHIP, SO IT COULD BE A WHILE BEFORE I WOULD EVEN BE ABLE TO HAVE IT REPAIRED. I AM DRIVING AROUND WITH A HALF GLUED REAR WINDOW, THAT CAN FALL OUT AND BUST INSIDE MY CAR AT ANY POINT. IT IS NOT ONLY A HAZARD TO ME, BUT ALSO TO ANY PASSENGERS, PEDESTRIANS OR MOTORIST AROUND ME. IF THIS SHOULD FALL OUT WHILE I AM DRIVING, I OR SOMEONE ELSE CAN BECOME SERIOUSLY INJURED. *TR

Fail Date: 08/09/2009 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 8/12/2009

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10265936

Component: VISIBILITY:POWER WINDOW DEVICES AND CONTROLS

Details: I HAVE A 2005 CONVERTIBLE CROSSFIRE, THE BACK WINDOW IS FALLING OUT. I TOOK IT TO A CHRYSLER DEALERSHIP AND WAS INFORMED I NEEDED TO REPLACE THE ENTIRE TOP FOR 2,200.00. THE DEALERSHIP REFERRED ME TO CHRYSLER AND THEY WANTED TO PAY FOR HALF THE REPLACEMENT COST. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH TOP AND I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO REPLACE A TOP ON A 4 YEAR OLD CAR. I BELIEVE THE TOP SHOULD HAVE A RECALL AS I HAVE BEEN READING THIS SEEMS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM. IF THE WINDOW CAME OUT WHEN THE VEHICLE WAS DRIVING THERE COULD BE A SAFETY ISSUE. *TR

Fail Date: 04/13/2009 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 4/18/2009

Yes, include on Custom Report CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10244032

Details: THE BACK WINDOW OF MY 2005 CROSSFIRE HAS COME UNGLUED FROM THE CONVERTIBLE TOP. IT WAS A SAFETY ISSUE BECAUSE IT COULD HAVE COME OFF WHILE DRIVING AND HURT EITHER PASSENGERS OR SOMEONE DRIVING BESIDE ME. *TR

Fail Date: 09/25/2008 Deaths: 0
Date added to datbase: 9/30/2008

NOTE: Any and all 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster Consumer Complaints have been filed with the National Highway Safety and Traffic Administration. They are carefully reviewed by the Office Defects Investigation (ODI) to determine whether a defect trend may exist. NHTSA is authorized to order Chrysler to issue a recall based on their findings. Special Note: Consumer Complaints often tell a revealing story when the same complaint is reported by several people. File your own consumer complaint now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Safety Kits |Privacy Policy | Car Recalls | Tips for Car Reports | Car Warranty]
[ Link Manager | Unsubscribe | Copyright | Terms | About Us | Contact Us ]

-- All Car Reports and CarStats Powered by myCarStats Technology --
Some Car Report data has been derived from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
© Copyright myCarStats.com™, LLC All rights reserved

customerassistance@mycarstats.com

View Now

NOTE: Car Reports may include the following:
Recalls, Technical Service Bulletins or Consumer Complaints.

File your complaints to the right people

Last edited by FTroopChief; 10-12-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by imforreal805
Hey will your car run for a couple seconds and then die? or will it not start at all?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:46 PM

Please help! I had a locksmith replace the ignition because I was having the whole sticky key issue...key would not actually turn at all!! Well after a nightmare of finding someone to do this it has been replaced thank god! However now when I turn the key it starts for a few seconds and than dies...the ring is on the ignition however it appears the other end (not on the ring but the other end) is not plugged in and I have no idea where it goes! Im thinking this is my problem but have no idea where to plug it in at? Can anyone help? thanks...

Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrea209
Please help! I had a locksmith replace the ignition because I was having the whole sticky key issue...key would not actually turn at all!! Well after a nightmare of finding someone to do this it has been replaced thank god! However now when I turn the key it starts for a few seconds and than dies...the ring is on the ignition however it appears the other end (not on the ring but the other end) is not plugged in and I have no idea where it goes! Im thinking this is my problem but have no idea where to plug it in at? Can anyone help? thanks...
See post #8 in this thread.
Seeing how far the wires reach will give you an idea where they should be plugged in, I am told they are very awkward to attach, sorry.
Go to this section in the repair manual.

VEHICLE THEFT SECURITY - SERVICE INFORMATION 8Q - 55

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-10-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:45 PM

I have a 2005 crossfire. I gave it a good bath whipped everything down felt like taking it for a spin. It started died in few seconds. Started again same disconnected battery it started thre times then now just click

Old 06-11-2018, 10:51 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Giant
I have a 2005 crossfire. I gave it a good bath whipped everything down felt like taking it for a spin. It started died in few seconds. Started again same disconnected battery it started thre times then now just click
This is a SKREEM related issue. The SKREEM is not reading the RFID chip in the key, so it is doing the "Three strikes" thing. If you disconnect the battery and reconnect it, you will get three more start/dies before it refuses to turn over.

Caused by:

1) Bad SKREEM module
2) Using a key with no RFID chip in it (like when someone replaces the FOB but does not realize the little "raisin" in there is important and does not transplant it to the new FOB).

3) THe black ring around the ignition is not plugged into the SKREEM (no way you disconnected it, the SKREEM sits behind the speedometer).

4) SOme odd issue: No power to the SKREEM, etc.