TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Strange seatbelt warning

Old 12-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange seatbelt warning

I have a question....I've had my Crossfire for a year now and when I purchased the car up untill now the WARNING LIGHT for seatbelts would stay on (no chime) (not flashing) when I drove the car without wearing the seatbelt (please don't harp on me for not wearing them, It's MY choice). Now all of the sudden it flashes and the chime goes off. WHAT GIVES?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Strange seatbelt warning

Sounds like it finally decided to start working the way it was intended.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:11 AM

Sounds like a stuck relay started working again.
Dave
dtinker

Old 12-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPER0076
I have a question....I've had my Crossfire for a year now and when I purchased the car up untill now the WARNING LIGHT for seatbelts would stay on (no chime) (not flashing) when I drove the car without wearing the seatbelt (please don't harp on me for not wearing them, It's MY choice). Now all of the sudden it flashes and the chime goes off. WHAT GIVES?
Simple,

Your family paid to have it fixed, since they want you to wear your seat belt, so that if you get into an accident, you might live longer.

BC.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

I once had a Mother-in-law like that. When I habitualy did something that bothered her she would purse her lips, fold her arms and tap her foot. Unless I changed my ways, this would go on for days or weeks.

Finally, she would chime.

She has passed but, I miss her.

Fortunately, Crumpy has taken over Mom's duties. It is the purpose of families and friends to care.

People are "missed when absent" Viper0076

Wear your seat belt!

Old 12-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can somebody tell us what plug in what box I paint with double thick nail polish to make my seatbelt warning work the way his did?

Old 12-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegaslegal
Can somebody tell us what plug in what box I paint with double thick nail polish to make my seatbelt warning work the way his did?
So, you want to "flashed" .....

Old 12-21-2010, 09:26 AM

just buy a seat belt extension, and swing the buckle behind the seat, u wont see it at all.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:50 AM

I went to the bone yard to attempt to buy just the connector to plug into the seatbelt....problem is, they want to sell you the whole seatbelt! Anyway...what I ended up doing was making a template of the male end and cutting one out of lexan. It works perfect. If anyone wants to see a picture of it let me know.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:46 PM

You had a power interruption (battery change or disconnect) and it reset the warning to the factory default. Do a search for seatbelt chime off (it involves a sequence of key on, key off, disconnect, reconnect seat belt). It sounds quite complicated, but it is really quite simple and it will restore what you had - just a solid warning light.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I test drove a 10,000 mile SRT-6 this weekend that was doing the same thing. I drove an 85,000 mile SRT-6 later that day that the chime worked fine on. Mine doesn't come on at all. I cut the wire that makes it work. I'm happy with it's absence.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPER0076
I went to the bone yard to attempt to buy just the connector to plug into the seatbelt....problem is, they want to sell you the whole seatbelt! Anyway...what I ended up doing was making a template of the male end and cutting one out of lexan. It works perfect. If anyone wants to see a picture of it let me know.
They want to sell a complete part to a person who will use it properly and not ruin that part for someone who has no thought for his own safety.
Our local news today mentions that a driver veered into an on coming car, he survived but the other driver who was not wearing his seat belt did not. He was thrown from the car and killed. As you say your choice, but so is suicide.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Thomas B. Whyle
You had a power interruption (battery change or disconnect) and it reset the warning to the factory default. Do a search for seatbelt chime off (it involves a sequence of key on, key off, disconnect, reconnect seat belt). It sounds quite complicated, but it is really quite simple and it will restore what you had - just a solid warning light.
Please provide more info on this as this is the first I have heard.

I know about cutting the brown wire and just read through the procedure to disconnect the brown wire w/o cutting, but have NEVER heard of a way to do this through a sequence......

Old 12-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cutting the brown wire is the easiest thing I've heard... per andrew

Old 12-21-2010, 09:24 PM

Ah yes, the sequence: I should have included it in my earlier post. I have used this successfully in both my 300C and SRT6. 1) With the key in the ignition switch in any position except ON or START, buckle the driver's seat belt. 2)Turn the key to ON and wait for the chimes to stop. 3)Unbuckle, then buckle the driver's seat belt 3 times, ending with buckled. 4)Turn the key to any position except ON or START and wait for a sinlgle chime which indicates the reminder chime is off. (This may take up to ten seconds.) The initial chime will still sound when you start the car, but the repeating reminder chime will not. An electrical system disconnect or repeating the above sequence will reinstate the chime. For the seat belt light which remain on, I recommend a strategically placed circle of tape.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:33 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Ah yes, the sequence: I should have included it in my earlier post. I have used this successfully in both my 300C and SRT6. 1) With the key in the ignition switch in any position except ON or START, buckle the driver's seat belt. 2)Turn the key to ON and wait for the chimes to stop. 3)Unbuckle, then buckle the driver's seat belt 3 times, ending with buckled. 4)Turn the key to any position except ON or START and wait for a sinlgle chime which indicates the reminder chime is off. (This may take up to ten seconds.) The initial chime will still sound when you start the car, but the repeating reminder chime will not. An electrical system disconnect or repeating the above sequence will reinstate the chime. For the seat belt light which remain on, I recommend a strategically placed circle of tape.
The ignition switch has three positions, OFF, ON and START.
Putting on the seat belt and then turning from OFF to ON will not make the alarm sound as you are wearing a seat belt.
I must be missing something or you are in error.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Thomas, THANK YOU for the info, but as Dave pointed out above, there seems to be a miscommunication of some sort.

If you could clear that up for dummies like me, I would gladly buy you a beer if we ever cross paths

(it is almost embarrasssing how excited I am about this LOL, I cut the wires in the last car and while it was not that big of a deal, if I can get no chime and no cutting then it will be a Merry Christmas to me )

Old 12-22-2010, 06:21 PM

I apologize for my previous post: One should never attempt a technical post when about to go to sleep. The sequence described earlier was what I used for my 300C. The correct procedure for the Crossfire is as follows: 1)Turn key to ON/START - within 60 seconds, turn ignition OFF and fasten the driver seat belt. 2)Start engine and wait for the seat belt light to turn off. 3)Within 60 seconds unbuckle/rebuckle the seat belt 3 times - ending with buckled. 4)Turn the engine OFF and wait to hear a single chime. (This confirms you have turned the repeater chimes off. Repeat the sequence or disconnect the battery to restore the reminder function.)

Old 12-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crud! IT WORKED. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Didn't get the final chime but beep beep beep is gone. For those of you freaking that people would drive without their belt, chill. While I wear mine, I get extremely annoyed ordering Starbucks and being drowned out by the sound merely becuase I had to get my wallet. And anybody over eighteen should have the seatbelt choice, nanny state be damned.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegaslegal
And anybody over eighteen should have the seatbelt choice, nanny state be damned.
Totally agree. Your car, your life, your choice. Only one exception to that rule. If you ride with me, it's no democracy, hitch up.

Quick Reply: Strange seatbelt warning