TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

trunk rattle

Old 01-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trunk rattle

Hey guys, I tried searching the forums but I couldn't find what I was looking for. There is a rattle coming from the trunk door, sounds like its coming from right under the wing. Anyways sounds like something got loose and it's driving me nuts. Is there a way to remove the plastic so I can find what is making the noise? Any help is appreciated thanks.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: trunk rattle

Coupes are known to have the hatch rattle at the latch. Try putting a couple of wraps of electrical tape on the latch post to see if this solves the rattle. Also there is a rubber stop on each side of the hatch that can be adjusted. If you don't have a coupe, well I dunno?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Coupes are known to have the hatch rattle at the latch. Try putting a couple of wraps of electrical tape on the latch post to see if this solves the rattle. Also there is a rubber stop on each side of the hatch that can be adjusted. If you don't have a coupe, well I dunno?
Yeah I have a limited coupe. It's not the latch because I can hear exactly where the noise is coming from and it's under that plastic

Old 01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spikehound
Yeah I have a limited coupe. It's not the latch because I can hear exactly where the noise is coming from and it's under that plastic
Don't be too sure it's from under the plastic. First try sticking some clear little bumper adhesive strips in the spots where the hatch bumpers meet the body. You can stick some directly on the black adjustable bumpers on the hatch if you like. Shut the hatch and drive around and see if you still hear the rattle. Hopefully it fixes the rattle. You may have to make some adjustments for thickness / placement of the adhesive strips but it stopped the noise in mine. Adjusting the bumpers on the hatch isn't hard but it is tricky for having the hatch fit and look alignned, that's whey the adhesive strips work better.

If it's not that then taking the lower hatch plastic off to check the spoiler mechanism isn't hard. 1 screw in the handle and then carefully pulling the plastic away from the hatch panel gains easy access to the spoiler motor. Check to see if something is amiss there.

Good luck.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:48 PM

Lol thanks guys, I'll try your suggestions first before I take anything apart but I'm almost convinced its coming from under the plastic. I'll let you guys know the outcome.

Last edited by spikehound; 01-11-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you drive it with the jack and air pump out? My jack handle had to be wedged in with a piece of cardbosrd cause it was flopping around

Old 01-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

almost with certainty it is the bumper stops on the side needing adjustment. Mine had that, I fiddled with it a bit and for the last year no rattles. They do loosen a bit over time, so they have to be reset. I put a mark on the stop nut to get them into position.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Forum Regular

hi

Could be the strut too!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:24 PM

Dead Hookers flopping around?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After about 2 years of having 3-4 wraps of electrical tape on the latch post, I started hearing a little "clunk" at slow speeds over certain types of road irregularities. The underneath side of the tape around the latch post had been eaten through so to speak. Peeled it all off & replaced it.....clunk gone again.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chris L.
After about 2 years of having 3-4 wraps of electrical tape on the latch post, I started hearing a little "clunk" at slow speeds over certain types of road irregularities. The underneath side of the tape around the latch post had been eaten through so to speak. Peeled it all off & replaced it.....clunk gone again.
So you never thought of just adjusting it?

Old 01-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve - UK
So you never thought of just adjusting it?
There are no adjustments which will eliminate the latch rattle.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Joliet John
There are no adjustments which will eliminate the latch rattle.
Just extend the bump stops at each side of the rear hatch, this raises the position of the hatch enough to eliminate the loose (rattling) latch when closed. When adjusted correctly, the rear hatch will shut nicely with a slightly firm action and the latch will not rattle as it has a little tension in it

Old 01-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just extend the bump stops at each side of the rear hatch, this raises the position of the hatch enough to eliminate the loose (rattling) latch when closed. When adjusted correctly, the rear hatch will shut nicely with a slightly firm action and the latch will not rattle as it has a little tension in it
From what I've seen here, there are people who've tried everything else and still had the rattle.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

That's my solution, it rattled when I got the car and it hasn't rattled in five years now.
The only noise I hear from the back is the Trunk Monkey, a few bananas quickly stops that though.
trunk monkey on Yahoo! Video
Too good to forget so I dug them out, sorry.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-16-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:21 PM

Same here, it was driving me nuts so I just adjusted the side stops and its perfect...just like me!

Old 01-19-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by green-ghost
Dead Hookers flopping around?
Haha my favorite response.

I adjusted the stoppers (raised them up a bit) made it worse. So i lowered them and gone! Thanks guys!