TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Anyone Tell Me How To Replace My Brake Pads

Old 03-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Anyone Tell Me How To Replace My Brake Pads

Just what the title says...

If I can do the work myself I'd much rather do it myself on a nice sunny day then getting butt rapped with ridiculous charges.

I tried looking through the threads but couldnt find any on this one, thanks for the help guys!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Anyone Tell Me How To Replace My Brake Pads

Take it to a shop you trust - not a dealer - problem solved.

I've talked about doing it myself, but many here convinced me that if I had to ASK - then I was not qualified to work on something as important as the brakes! I do a lot of the work on my car myself, but I have made up my mind that the brakes are "hands off" as far as I am concerned.

Go find a local shop familiar with MBs. Stay away from dealers.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlay

If I can do the work myself I'd much rather do it myself on a nice sunny day then getting butt rapped with ridiculous charges.

I tried looking through the threads but couldnt find any on this one, thanks for the help guys!
Have you ever changed brakes on a car before? It's not hard, it's just like doing it on your average Honda or Cheverolet.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Take it to a shop you trust - not a dealer - problem solved.

I've talked about doing it myself, but many here convinced me that if I had to ASK - then I was not qualified to work on something as important as the brakes! I do a lot of the work on my car myself, but I have made up my mind that the brakes are "hands off" as far as I am concerned.

Go find a local shop familiar with MBs. Stay away from dealers.
Come on Mark, we just don't trust you with tools

Seriously it's
5 lugs 17mm deep well socket
Remove Wheel
2 star bolts (I don't remember what size... sorry)
Metal wire that's a ***** to get off and a ***** to get on. It's more of a bracket on the SRT. You'll find it on the outside of the caliper and it holds the caliper to the caliper bracket.
Lift caliper, replace compress pistons, and place new pads.
Replace Caliper, two star bit bolts
Metal wire/bracket that's still a ***** to get back on.
replace wheel, 5 lugs and go to the other side.

Are you planning to do the back ones too? because they're super easy. remove wheel, pop out the pin and lift the pads from the top of the caliper. Replace metal bracket/springy thing that holds the pads down and pin and put the wheel back on.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree with the above. Pads are just about the easiest to do on disc brakes. basically, jack the car and put it on a support. remove the wheel. Take a turkey baster and remove some of the brake fluid form the master cylinder. Take a big C clamp and compress the pads a bit. You'll feel and see it when they're loose enough to come off. That gives room to clear the rotor. remove the caliper from the rotor and pop the pads out. Pop new pads in. I use a block of wood to support the caliper while you're doing that. Do not let the caliper hang on the line-it's too heavy. replace the caliper and bolt it back in place. Get in the car and pump the brake pedal to get the fluid back in the line and your done. You can do one side at a time, or both in the air before you repump the brakes to refill the lines with fluid. Lightly scuff the rotors before you put it back together, and it's also recommended as long as you have the calipers off to use new brake grease to re-grease the caliper slide pins. Saves trouble down the line from sticky pins. That;'s basically it. get a haynes manual form the library and that will show you as you go if this is your first time. AAbout an hour job or so.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charlay

Follow Andrew's post below.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post469750

Old 03-21-2011, 03:43 PM

Its very easy, give it a shot.....

Old 03-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Forum Regular

Honestly just changed the front and back brakes on mine over the weekend. Pretty easy job .........well easier since people that have already done the job posted how to guides on here (thanks alot actually). not that much different than other cars that i have had in the past