TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Convertible top WON'T CLOSE!

Old 03-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Convertible top WON'T CLOSE!

Ive seen a few threads about problems with the convertible not working but havent seen this problem posted.

My convertible has been working fine and for some reason the other day I went to open it stopped midway. I unlatched the top and the windows went down like always, but the When the back bow unlock from the actuator and started to lift....it STOPPED!

I press the button and i hear a "motor" moving but the bow wont go up anymore...then to make it worse, when I push the button to go down it wont lock back in place. I tried several times even releasing the pressure from the top and tried over and over again.

Eventually I just had to have my roomate push it down while I used an allen key to turn the small motor so it would lock the top down.

Now the freaking button just keeps flashing...sometimes it blinks then it doesnt, sometimes it blinks when im driving and the wing goes up..annnnnd at other times it doesnt.. Grrrrr

Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Convertible top WONT CLOSE!

Originally Posted by Charlay
Ive seen a few threads about problems with the convertible not working but havent seen this problem posted.

My convertible has been working fine and for some reason the other day I went to open it stopped midway. I unlatched the top and the windows went down like always, but the When the back bow unlock from the actuator and started to lift....it STOPPED!

I press the button and i hear a "motor" moving but the bow wont go up anymore...then to make it worse, when I push the button to go down it wont lock back in place. I tried several times even releasing the pressure from the top and tried over and over again.

Eventually I just had to have my roomate push it down while I used an allen key to turn the small motor so it would lock the top down.

Now the freaking button just keeps flashing...sometimes it blinks then it doesnt, sometimes it blinks when im driving and the wing goes up..annnnnd at other times it doesnt.. Grrrrr
Pop your hood. Look at your battery. Is it white? If it is, then it is most likely original and is failing. Failing batteries on these electronic cars do all sorts of do funnies. If not a white battery have it checked anyway.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:58 AM

And u r correct .... my car does do some funny things ...electronicly anyways. What are good fitting/lasting batteries for our cars

Old 03-27-2011, 03:16 AM
Default Re: Convertible top WON'T CLOSE!

Gday mine did exactly the same thing! It turned out to be low on oil. It had a leak somewhere that exited from seat belt opening on the left side onto seats.Dave.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlay
And u r correct .... my car does do some funny things ...electronicly anyways. What are good fitting/lasting batteries for our cars
It partly depends on where you live as to what is available. If you have an Orieilly's Auto Parts around, they have a "Sure Start" that runs about $90. I've put those batteries it two Roadsters so far. It's a Model 48-72.

There are many others out there, do a search on this forum and you'll find plenty of info.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:57 PM

i actually found out from my insurance company that there are TSB's out for this issue on almost all crossfire. he said Chrysler is aware of the issue but wont make the move forward to put in in recall. I have the same issue, ontop of the top wont lock in place i have to push on it for it to lock. Its an issue with the motor. Ontop of that my back window fell out because the adhesive wore out, which believe it or not there is a TSB out on that also. Again they know of that issue but doesnt wanna put a recall on it. So im stuck with a plastic crappy back window. I dont have 1600 for a new top

Old 05-11-2011, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by chaotictaco
So im stuck with a plastic crappy back window. I dont have 1600 for a new top
Search these forums, we have a DIY fix for that, it'll cost you an hour of your time and about $20 for the adhesive.

Go to the Roadster forum, the FIRST THREAD is a "Sticky" on this problem. Full instructions can be found there.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 05-11-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:00 PM

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? My car just started doing the same thing that you said was wrong with yours. This is what mine does.....

Old 04-28-2015, 10:18 AM
Administrator

You are most likely low on fluid. That means you have a leak in the system as well.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Administrator

And people almost NEVER come back to tell us what was wrong, they come here for help, get free advice, then never return to spread the knowledge (which you now need).

I once posted here daily, but so many newcomers come here and pull this ****, that I don't bother much anymore.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
You are most likely low on fluid. That means you have a leak in the system as well.
I have already checked the fluid. It was at the minimum line so I topped it off and the fluid is good. I opened and closed the top manually several time so make sure there wasn't any air in the lines. Still have the problem

Old 04-28-2015, 12:30 PM
Administrator

There is a member here "Top Hydraulics" that you should talk to.
From what I am hearing in that video, it is a fluid issue but it COULD be electronic, in that the TCM or limit switches are messed up, causing the pump's switching valves to cut off flow before the cylinders have moved as designed.

I BELIEVE the system is self-priming/adjusting, so low fluid that is refilled should not mean that some process has to be followed to "clear" the lines, but I am not sure.

It just seems to me like the fluid is low/not pumping right.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 04-28-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:32 PM
Administrator
Old 06-03-2015, 09:20 PM

My top won't work had to take to the dealer. They are saying it is the central door lock module. . so if anyone knows where I can get one. .

Old 06-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cgrover1973
My top won't work had to take to the dealer. They are saying it is the central door lock module. . so if anyone knows where I can get one. .
First of all . . . looking at your other posts is seems that you have a 2005 SRT6 roadster, right?

Please take a moment to do this so we know a bit more about you and your car without having to research things and ask you a bunch of basic questions. It will allow us to assist you more quickly and easily . . .

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post812689

Now about your issue with the top . . . I have a very nice used central locking control module (like new) but it's not cheap . . . Also if your central locking module is bad it's very likely because you have water in the rear trunk well and flooded out the electronics down in there where the central locking control module is located so so we'd need to get that problem sorted out . . .

I'm not real familiar with the convertible top not working due to the central locking module not functioning (although it's possible if your trunk is not locking). Let's take this one step at a time.

1) Do your doors and trunk lock / unlock when you press the key fob button to lock and unlock?

Last edited by RED DOG; 06-03-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:56 PM

I sent you a personal message. Doors didn't work. I didn't check trunk. Its at dealer now . I will check in morning.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:11 PM

Just updated profile. Thanks for any help.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:37 PM

I'm not seeing where you changed anything . . . Your location should at least be your city and state . . . not just NY. Do a signature that at least tells us what year and model and color Crossfire you have. You can fancy it up later by editing it to include a photo, etc.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:47 PM

If the doors didn't work then the trunk didn't lock either. Read through this thread (link below) to get yourself educated about what to look for and what you need to do . . .

It is likely that your central locking pump and security module are flooded. Read through this thread for information . . . (start at post #22 for photos).

Headlight headache...do you have water in you trunk?

Water can leak into the well in the lower right side rear area of the trunk. Once water gets in there it cannot drain out and ends up flooding the electronics mounted down there. Usually the water leak is from the "wing" mount plate. You'll see that information in the thread too.

There are MANY threads on the forum about this issue . . . here's another good one . . .

Central locking not functional

Old 06-04-2015, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Its at dealer now .
In time you will learn: The dealer is the LAST place you take the car, not the FIRST.
YES, some issues can mean a trip to the dealer, but MOST issues are best handled otherwise. The Crossfire is a Mercedes product and is not very welcome at Chrysler dealers, it simply is not their car.

Quick Reply: Convertible top WON'T CLOSE!