TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Transmission fluid down 2+ quarts ???

Old 04-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid down 2+ quarts ???

Sorry about this LONG post .......
I bought my 05 Ltd with autpmatic early this year with 17k on it. From the first I noticed that there was a hard shift from reverse to first gear, when backing out of the garage. At first I thought it was the cold weather we had during mid-March, as it seemed that would correct itself after the tranny warmed up. After about 1 week, I decided to try to check the fluid level and made Woodys "dipstick". When ready to check, I noticed that the cap sealing the tube to the transmission was missing the little red locking clip. Upon checking the level, after warming the transmission ( in park and level), the fluid level just toched the bottom of the dipstick. I double checked the dipstick I made, and it was correct. I added 1 qt of ATF+4, and the level came up just over the lover markings. Checked under car, and NO DRIP LEAKS at all. I added another qt of fluid and the level was at the top markings. After about 1 week I checked the level again, and it was spot on, and still no drip leaks.
My question is where did 2 qts go? I have all the records of service and repairs on the car (I think) and no mention of any tranny service. Previous owner (deceased) was diligent in having his service done at a supposedly good rated Chrysler/Jeep dealership. I can understand that if they checked the tranny fluid at some point they may not have replaced that red locking clip, but why would they not have added fluid if needed at that time?
Any thoughts about what possibly would be the cause of 2 qts of transmission fluid missing with NO LEAKING, and what I should check?
Thanks for any input ......

Edit: the "hard" shift from reverse to 1st, stopped as soon as I added fluid ....

Old 04-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Transmission fluid down 2+ quarts ???

check this thread
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-ta-daaaa.html

Sound like someone already missed with the trans fill cap because the original locking pin is black. I've noticed the same on mine. No visible leaks on the floor under the car, but jacking up the car and looking closely at the transmission, I can see that there is a leak of fluid which seems to be caking onto the housing.

The chrysler dealership probably didn't even have the dipstick to check the trans fluid level.

Last edited by rekcah; 04-25-2011 at 09:23 PM.