TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

air bag screws

Old 06-23-2011, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bag screws

I am trying to replace the multi-function switch . I have tried everything to get the airbag screws out. No luck at all! Is there some secret to get these out? Are they left hand crew. i am stumped!!! Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Old 06-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Re: air bag screws

I just pulled my driver's side bag, as part of a front center console replacement.

As mentioned elsewhere, they are T30 (male) screws. I had to make a run to Sears to get bigger such screwdrivers, and fortunately a set was on sale for $6.99. The biggest in the set is T30. {Sears part number 41404 or 941404 for the set}

Make sure your negative battery cable has been disconnected for a while (FSM says 2+ minutes, at least; mine 2+ hours). Be sure to read and follow the safety instructions in the FSM.

The lower-left dash bezel has to be off; it's a pain too (more screws than the FSM says). Then the steering wheel turned ~75 degrees for each side to access the bag's screws. For me that meant the key had to be in the ignition and turned on to disable the column-lock. Reread the part about the battery!

My two bag's screws were extremely (painfully) tight! I then used my ChannelLocks on the screwdriver's handle to pop them loose. The screws are normal/left-loosen, but remember that you are working backwards. The screws have stayed in the wheel after loosening them, so far.

Now -- my problem -- how do you disconnect the bag's wires? The 2006 FSM says:

"Pull the driver airbag away from the steering wheel far enough to access the electrical connections to the steering wheel.

Disconnect the steering wheel wire harness connectors for the horn switch.

Disconnect the clockspring driver airbag pigtail harness connectors."

There's two push-on wire connections to the horn rings, so they shouldn't be a problem. But the bag itself -- do I somehow (how?) remove the yellow connector from the back of the bag's charge, or do I pop the (grey) connector (how?) down in the column? It didn't want to let go easily, and the FSM says definitely don't pull on the wires.

Last edited by LugNut; 06-25-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: air bag screws

Thanks very much i'll give it another shot, hopefully it will come out.

Much appreciated
Joe

Old 06-24-2011, 03:16 PM

LMK, ASAP, what you (too) determine about disconnecting the bag's wiring! Anyone else done this successfully?

Old 06-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Default Re: air bag screws

I'm reading elsewhere, for MBs, that the yellow connector pulls straight off, with some wiggling. Anyone do this, with good result, on their XF?

Also reading of a potential recall on E-Class cars because this harness is too short, and can disconnect the bag when the telescoping steering column is pulled out fully.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:11 AM

Yes, on at least my 2005, the yellow air bag connector pulls straight off. Used a pair of regular pliers, held the connector in its middle, applied light force straight up and wiggled slightly, and connector pulled of the two wire-like lugs.

Steering wheel's nut takes a 10 mm male hex, and is extremely tight! I can't get it with my hand-drive 3/8 inch, with a 3/8 breaker bar. Will try 1/2 breaker, with an adapter to 3/8, but I think the hex socket will fail. Any others have success? With what, and is the nut normal left-loosen?