TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

serpentine belt replacement

Old 07-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serpentine belt replacement

Had the classic oil filter leak so I need to replace the serpentine belt on my 06 XFire LTD. It looks like the 06 belt tensioner is different then the 04. Can any one tell me how I rotate it to install the new belt.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts
Default Re: serpentine belt replacement

Can't help you there, but where did you get your new belt and what did it cost?

Mine is 6 years old, with 56,000 on it and it looks kinda bad... it's time for mine to go as well.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by fyrepower
Had the classic oil filter leak so I need to replace the serpentine belt on my 06 XFire LTD. It looks like the 06 belt tensioner is different then the 04. Can any one tell me how I rotate it to install the new belt.

Thanks
The belt tensioner is the same on all models according to the parts lists, #05096525AA. Mercedes part number A112 200 09 70.

The SRT6 tensioner is different though, part number A112 200 07 70

The 17mm hexagonal boss and the locking pin hole are not seen from the top.

The hexagonal boss can be seen in a mirror.

The SRT6 uses the Torx head for tension relief. Use the correct size to prevent stripping it.

A photo by Janes1549

Pin ( 3/16") is shown in the hole used to lock the tensioner in position to keep the belt tension free for service.

Another photo by James 1549. Do NOT use this Torx screw to relieve the belt tension.

17mm socket on the boss on the tensioner casting.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-01-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Can't help you there, but where did you get your new belt and what did it cost?

Mine is 6 years old, with 56,000 on it and it looks kinda bad... it's time for mine to go as well.
got mine at Advance Auto Parts for $22. They are normally $32 but on the home page they had a special $10 discount. Ordered it on-line and picked it up at the store. It's a Dayco brand which I have used on my other vehicles.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by fyrepower

Thanks
pull handle and a 17mm socket. You attach to the 17mm extrusion which is just below and to the left of the pulley as viewed from the front. Rotate counterclockwise.

( If you want to make it REAL easy - remove the fan : 2 clips at the top and unplug the wire - pulls right out when you finagle the hoses somewhat. )

Old 07-29-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
pull handle and a 17mm socket. You attach to the 17mm extrusion which is just below and to the left of the pulley as viewed from the front. Rotate counterclockwise.

( If you want to make it REAL easy - remove the fan : 2 clips at the top and unplug the wire - pulls right out when you finagle the hoses somewhat. )

Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow morning

Old 07-29-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The belt tensioner is the same on all models according to the parts lists, #05096525AA.

The boss and the locking pin hole are not seen from the top.

The boss can be seen in the mirror.

I'll try and get a pic of the pin hole location.

Thanks for the pictures. It makes a lot more sense to me. Hopefully I will be able to drive my XFire over the week end!

Old 07-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Forum Regular

Hi All,

My belt looks good and not oil leak on it...

When would be a good idea ( preventive purpose) to replace the belt and the pulleys?

Looks like the belt costs around $20 to $30

what about the pulleys?

thnaks,
Max

Old 07-30-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire

Success!!!!!

I was able to get the new belt on and I also cleaned up the engine oil. Most of it was on the s plastic pan under the engine.

By removing the fan it made the job a lot easier.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:18 PM

The belt tensioner is the same on all models according to the parts lists, #05096525AA.

The boss and the locking pin hole are not seen from the top.

The boss can be seen in the mirror.

I'll try and get a pic of the pin hole location.
Thanks again for your help.I got the new belt on this morning. I never did locate the hole for the drift pin

Old 07-30-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by maxime75us
Hi All,

My belt looks good and not oil leak on it...

When would be a good idea ( preventive purpose) to replace the belt and the pulleys?

Looks like the belt costs around $20 to $30

what about the pulleys?

thnaks,
Max
you need to inspect the belt to see if there are any cracks running horizontilly in the belt.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny. I just did this today! Had a leak from my oil cap and lost power steering so had to put the belt back on. A little hard to find that tensioner but a 17mm did it just fine.

I found it a lot easier to place the belt over the alternator and power steering pulley first then looping it around the remaining. Make sure that cap is tight for next time, BUT not TOO tight otherwise it will cause the Oring on the oil filter to move out of place leaving you with another similar situation.

Good luck with everything! Glad to have mine up and running again. Wish I could fix another problem but thats for another day!

Old 07-30-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by sq89
funny. I just did this today! Had a leak from my oil cap and lost power steering so had to put the belt back on. A little hard to find that tensioner but a 17mm did it just fine.

I found it a lot easier to place the belt over the alternator and power steering pulley first then looping it around the remaining. Make sure that cap is tight for next time, BUT not TOO tight otherwise it will cause the Oring on the oil filter to move out of place leaving you with another similar situation.

Good luck with everything! Glad to have mine up and running again. Wish I could fix another problem but thats for another day!

If you think over tightening the cap on the filter body assembly will misplace the O-ring, then you have the O-ring in the wrong place.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:24 PM

If you think over tightening the cap on the filter body assembly will misplace the O-ring, then you have the O-ring in the wrong place.
No, while you do have to make sure the last and largest of the orings is in place (on the final notch of cap towards the top) you do have to be apprehensive that you do not strip the threads on the cap assembly itself. Which, simply put, leads to more leaks. Just a suggestion.

The following users liked this post:
kowaltoboggan (10-02-2021)
Old 07-30-2011, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by sq89
No, while you do have to make sure the last and largest of the orings is in place (on the final notch of cap towards the top) you do have to be apprehensive that you do not strip the threads on the cap assembly itself. Which, simply put, leads to more leaks. Just a suggestion.
Your original statement referred to over tightening and thus moving the O-ring, it did not mention stripping the thread by over tightening.
[quote=sq89]..................... Make sure that cap is tight for next time, BUT not TOO tight otherwise it will cause the Oring on the oil filter to move out of place leaving you with another similar situation. [quote]

The O-rings sit in grooves not on notches and no apprehension is needed when tightening with the suggested torque. I do understand that you may refer to grooves as notches though.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:55 PM

[quote=onehundred80]Your original statement referred to over tightening and thus moving the O-ring, it did not mention stripping the thread by over tightening.
[quote=sq89]..................... Make sure that cap is tight for next time, BUT not TOO tight otherwise it will cause the Oring on the oil filter to move out of place leaving you with another similar situation.

The O-rings sit in grooves not on notches and no apprehension is needed when tightening with the suggested torque. I do understand that you may refer to grooves as notches though.

Since its a common problem among crossfire owners, I thought it could use some clarification. But, thanks for your help.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:40 AM

Excellent descriptions on how I go about tackling the serpentine belt. So I thought I'd make it easier on myself and remove the fan like advised. The steps are very easy-however, I can not seem to unplug the wires. I don't want to break anything. So how do I unplug the wires? Never mind-I got it. Only had to break the zip tie looking thing. On to the belt and then the alternator! So exciting..

Last edited by Sarina; 08-03-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sarina
Excellent descriptions on how I go about tackling the serpentine belt. So I thought I'd make it easier on myself and remove the fan like advised. The steps are very easy-however, I can not seem to unplug the wires. I don't want to break anything. So how do I unplug the wires? Never mind-I got it. Only had to break the zip tie looking thing. On to the belt and then the alternator! So exciting..
Well I gave up on the alternator since I can't seem to get to one of the bolts in the back (bottom). I did get the S-blet off and the two alternator bolts. I can't really see what else is holding it on or how to get it to come out. Oh well, I did try.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Well I gave up on the alternator since I can't seem to get to one of the bolts in the back (bottom). I did get the S-blet off and the two alternator bolts. I can't really see what else is holding it on or how to get it to come out. Oh well, I did try.
Did you look in the on manual for the procedure?

Other owners in your area. Maybe someone will lend a hand.

Or drive out here and I'll help!

Old 08-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

There seems to be ONLY 2 alternator ( generator ) bolts - they are both in the front.

Quick Reply: serpentine belt replacement