TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Alternator install

Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator install

As I was driving to work this AM, my battery light came on. Well, I do know enough about cars to know that the battery is primarily used to start the car and then the alternator takes over once started. So I figured my alternator is not working. Now I was only a couple of miles from work, so I prayed all the way there and made it. After work, I went out to my car and checked the battery (sort of new-less than 2 years old). Everything looked clean and good. So I chanced it and started it-it started right up and I began driving it home. The battery light came on about a mile later. I called my son and met up with him a few more miles up the road. He checked my battery and there was a charge of 12.53 with motor off and 12.1 with motor on. So that told my son, it was most likely my alternator and my battery juice would probably get me home-but no further. I was able to get my car home (more prayer) and now I have an alternator and serpentine belt in the trunk that I need to figure out how to put on tomorrow since I won't be able to drive the car again until it's replaced.
So anyone have a good link for me to view of how to replace my alternator, 04 Coupe?

Old 08-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Default Re: Alternator install

Did you get your alternator and belt taken care of?

Old 08-12-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by geogramps
Did you get your alternator and belt taken care of?
Hey Gramps, I did get it complete. Thanks for asking. I would have had it completed so much quicker if I could have just figured out the problem. The S-belt and alt bolts were no problem (thanks to the awesome illustrations and descriptions provided by you forum members!!). The problem was the actual fitting or piece that the upper bolt screws into was seized flush upon the alternator making it impossible to budge. To me it looked like it was attached so I didn't want to force it. My husband took a small brass piece (square) and layed it on top of alt and used his air gun and simply--zuup--zuup it was loosened. Kinda frustrating to watch something I spent so much time on come loose in a minute. But it was my first alternator/belt install and I learned something new. So thanks again for all your help. Oh, and I was able to replace my hood strut in under 2 minutes.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:35 PM

Good job! that's how you learn. I used to watch my Dad take things apart and fix them and put it bck together. He used to say if someone can put it together you can take it apart fix it. I saved a lot of money, broke my knuckles many a time, but learned how to fix things. Good for you!! your ok!! Great at trying, always succeeds.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice work....my wife would think an alternator was Arnold Schwartzenegger....

Old 08-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by dtinker
Good job! that's how you learn. I used to watch my Dad take things apart and fix them and put it bck together. He used to say if someone can put it together you can take it apart fix it. I saved a lot of money, broke my knuckles many a time, but learned how to fix things. Good for you!! your ok!! Great at trying, always succeeds.
That's a good philosophy, but one of the first things I took apart was a wrist watch. I was about five years old, it was working and I just wanted to see the jewels. Never did find them and of course the watch was spot on time twice a day from then on.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:56 PM

Thanks guys. You are all so helpful. @Dave, yes that is exactly how I learn and my husband shares the philosphy. @ olddoc-that is funny, but being a Californian, I can truly state that Schwartzenegger wasn't even as effective as an alternator.
My next task-EGR Valve. I found how to remove it-and wow, those are some real tired looking bolts.
Thanks again.