TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How-to: Clean the inside of your headlamp Assembly

Old 06-21-2013, 04:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How-to: Clean the inside of your headlamp Assembly

First of all: Hello Crossfire drivers.

I'm from Belgium,so sorry for my english!

I've been reading this thread with great interest as i too have this film inside my headlights and this is the first interesting solution i read!
I hope to use this cleaning method as a last resort before reopening my headlights

This film showed up after i did the "paint my inside headlight housing black"!

Before reassembling,i cleaned the inside of the plastic lens with water and a window cleaner.
Only after dark with the lights on and during the day at a certain angle you can see a light film on the inside of the lens.
It is not condensation (used hairdyer,heatgun and sillica gel bags!), so the only thing i can think off is i probably used the "wrong" cleaning method and the window cleaner left this light film/haze on the inside

I have 2 questions and i hope you guys can help:

1) I got some Methanol (99,8%) from the local pharmacy,will this do the job?

2) As i painted the chrome trim black (properly sanded, primed and painted with Motip acrylic spray paint, NO clear coat!), will the Methanol damage the paint as i use 2 or 3 times the rince and dry method as discribed by Maxcichon?

I really hope i don't have to reopen the headlights as i used butyl rubber + automotive sillicon to reseal them!

Thx for helping out!!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The methanol shouldn't (no guarantees) affect the paint or sealant. I can only hope it will dissolve the film.

That's all I can tell you...

Old 06-21-2013, 07:31 AM

Thx for the reply!

I'll make a primed/painted/uncoated plastic test piece first and put it in the methanol and see what happens!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:17 AM

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but be sure to wear gloves when handling methanol. It is readily absorbed through the skin and has some nasty toxic effects on the liver and brain.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:58 AM

Thx for the health tips..indeed methanol is pretty hazardous..so take precautions when working with this stuff.
It's obvious that you use methanol only in well ventilated areas or outside!

Old 12-09-2013, 04:34 PM

WAY new reply here (2 years down the pike). Anyhoo. I have a driver's side headlamp with some moldy looking garbage in it. I see below the Methanol cure, and I'm down with giving that a try. That said, I have two questions not addressed here:

1.) If I put methanol in my headlamp, will it in any way affect anything other than the lens? Meaning, the lamp isn't just the lens, it's the whole unit. Should I try desperately not to let the methanol get on anything else? Also, WHERE EXACTLY do I pour it in?

2.) The diagram and photos of the seals included in the linked thread show what appear to be white pvc "elbows" indicated as being a common problem. Why, then, are these "elbows" not a part of the kit shown in the photo. Are they replaced by the smaller button-type seals shown?

Mahalo in advance for your replies!

Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Oregon Jaybird
WAY new reply here (2 years down the pike). Anyhoo. I have a driver's side headlamp with some moldy looking garbage in it. I see below the Methanol cure, and I'm down with giving that a try. That said, I have two questions not addressed here:

1.) If I put methanol in my headlamp, will it in any way affect anything other than the lens? Meaning, the lamp isn't just the lens, it's the whole unit. Should I try desperately not to let the methanol get on anything else? Also, WHERE EXACTLY do I pour it in?

2.) The diagram and photos of the seals included in the linked thread show what appear to be white pvc "elbows" indicated as being a common problem. Why, then, are these "elbows" not a part of the kit shown in the photo. Are they replaced by the smaller button-type seals shown?

It's really cute 2c how everyone is tripping over methanol. I am a chemist and we treat methanol like water in the lab. If you want to know what it will damage, just take some rubbing alcohol and dab it on something. Methanol is a drying agent (notice how dry your skin gets when you put alcohol on it. Notice how alcoholic drinks dehydrate the body). It will remove H2O and evaporate quickly. Methanol is, however, strong enough to remove certain nonpolar paints, films, coverings, & adhesives that rubbing alcohol will not remove. It will not destroy the integrity of a material, however (unless u add it everyday so it severely dries the material making it brittle). Just take a q-tip and dab it on a paitned surface within the lens if your curious of its safety. Most of those parts are ABS, PP or similar plastic and I can tell you that in the lab, we use methanol on these surfaces everyday to clean/sanitize them. Just think of it as a really efficient Windex.
If you're afraid MeOH is 2strong, use rubbing alcohol -same thing just more diluted.
As far as toxicity, wear gloves. The most it will do is dry out your skin (removes water) if you don't. Don't worry about MeOH vapors, you do more damage to your liver by drinking alcohol. Just think, which creates the bigger effect: smelling beer or drinking it? The exhaust from your car is more dangerous.

Acetone, on the other hand will destroy the clarity of plastic and many other things. It can remove adhesive, break down plastic, etc. That's the one to watch out for.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jorre
First of all: Hello Crossfire drivers.

I really hope i don't have to reopen the headlights as i used butyl rubber + automotive sillicon to reseal them!

Thx for helping out!!
How did you open your headlight?

Old 03-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Oregon Jaybird
Are they replaced by the smaller button-type seals shown?

Bit late but ....
Yes they are.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:13 PM

Anybody ever try HEET in their headlights?

Old 03-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.prairielandelectric.com/m...kmsds/HEET.pdf

Hmmmmm. Should work. Try it.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:54 PM

I called Torco Race Fuels / Phoenix Race Fuels 888-368-6726 about their 100% Methanol and they show purity @ 99.9%

Single Methanol 1 Gallon Bottle - $13.52 plus frt. (my zip = + $9)

Also

though
Amazon $27.75 free frt. Amazon $27.75 free frt.

I'll give it a go & update....

Old 04-22-2014, 02:42 PM

Methyl hydrate same as Methanol? This things are available 99% purity at Home Depot or Can tire in the paint department.

Last edited by Cjmz888; 04-22-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cjmz888
Methyl hydrate same as Methanol? This things are available 99% purity at Home Depot or Can tire in the paint department.

Yes, Methyl hydrate is the same as Methanol>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol but @ 99% you can assume the other 1% is water.
Maxcichon made this pretty clear>>>
“You will need one liter of at least Laboratory grade Methanol. 99.8% or better. I used Electronics grade 99.8%. When this evaporates, it leaves nothing behind. This is very important.”

I used the
Torco 99.9%, it did an outstanding job of cleaning with no residual ~ crystal clear…

Old 04-22-2014, 05:50 PM

Found this at Walmart 99.9% Methyl Hydrate | Walmart.ca
As soon as I get my DRL, I will be working on this.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:16 PM

Can't get this item in the US this way...and Walmart doesn't ship...

Old 09-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ok - be nice. My car has this interior fogging problem. There's one thing I couldn't tell from the thread. I'm presuming the headlights must be removed to perform this cleaning procedure. Is that right? If so, I suppose the lights will need realignment?

thanks in advance

Old 09-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes, and No. They do have to be removed to clean the insides, but realignment should not be necessary.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:26 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Da55id
ok - be nice. My car has this interior fogging problem. There's one thing I couldn't tell from the thread. I'm presuming the headlights must be removed to perform this cleaning procedure. Is that right? If so, I suppose the lights will need realignment?

thanks in advance

If you need the solvent to clean them here is a link to what I used - it worked wonders on my headlights. I would also advise replacing the vents/seals with the retrofit seal kit available from Chrysler. They are pricey but should prevent the interior of the lenses from fogging again.

Amazon.com: Torco RC Nitro 100% Methanol gallon: Toys & Games Amazon.com: Torco RC Nitro 100% Methanol gallon: Toys & Games

Old 09-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks - so, did you have to remove the headlights and re-aim them after cleaning / reinstalling them?

Quick Reply: How-to: Clean the inside of your headlamp Assembly