TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How-to: Clean the inside of your headlamp Assembly

Old 09-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How-to: Clean the inside of your headlamp Assembly

Had to remove them to clean then but did not have to re aim them

Old 09-26-2014, 05:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

cool - thanks

Old 09-27-2014, 06:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Da55id
thanks - so, did you have to remove the headlights and re-aim them after cleaning / reinstalling them?
Remove-yes.

Re-aim-no.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That kit Part# 05174786AA will service both headlights. I though I needed two after looking at it but it contains enough parts for two.

Original TSB:
http://srt-6.com/pdf/tsb/SB_08_002_0...ndensation.pdf

U Tube picture on outside cleaning:

He's doing it with the light mounted - I wouldn't do it without taking it out and I would use a cheap kit - like $10 RainX or Turtle Wax ones - tried both and they worked very well but it takes a long time. He doesn't show the final product after using that sealer - acrylic clear coat??. I don't think it is going to end up crystal clear!

I looked locally for 99+ methanol and it is not usually stocked at the big boxes and pharmacy chains. If you are around Frederick, MD use this place.
Gunthers (Automotive machine work)
10409 Woodsboro Pike
Walkersville, MD 21793

Bring your own container. I asked him about the purity and he says it is either 99.9 or 99.8%. He pumps it from drums. Cost was 3 dollars a gallon!

Old 12-05-2014, 11:20 AM

I had purchased two seal kits from my local dealer, as well as a liter of 99.9% methanol to clean the lights. Soon after, I was involved in a car accident that busted both headlights, so I will be getting new ones. If anyone is interested in the two kits and the methanol, please PM me.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gp1200x
That kit Part# 05174786AA will service both headlights. I though I needed two after looking at it but it contains enough parts for two.

Original TSB:
http://srt-6.com/pdf/tsb/SB_08_002_0...ndensation.pdf

U Tube picture on outside cleaning:
Restore Headlights with Checking - YouTube

He's doing it with the light mounted - I wouldn't do it without taking it out and I would use a cheap kit - like $10 RainX or Turtle Wax ones - tried both and they worked very well but it takes a long time. He doesn't show the final product after using that sealer - acrylic clear coat??. I don't think it is going to end up crystal clear!

I looked locally for 99+ methanol and it is not usually stocked at the big boxes and pharmacy chains. If you are around Frederick, MD use this place.
Gunthers (Automotive machine work)
10409 Woodsboro Pike
Walkersville, MD 21793

Bring your own container. I asked him about the purity and he says it is either 99.9 or 99.8%. He pumps it from drums. Cost was 3 dollars a gallon!

I have cleaned my headlights with methanol and replaced the seals using the seal kits specified in the TSB. It is one kit per headlamp assembly. Anyone doing this will need 2 seal kits to do both sides.

That being said the methanol does a great job of cleaning the inside of the headlight, and so far (6 months later) my headlights have not accumulated any additional fogging on the inside of the lens after replacing the seals with the new (improved) kit. Unfortunately they still need periodic cleaning of the outside to remove the oxidation that continues to occur due to UV exposure. My car stays garaged most of the time, so I only need to remove the oxidation every 6 months or so.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Thornh
I have cleaned my headlights with methanol and replaced the seals using the seal kits specified in the TSB. It is one kit per headlamp assembly. Anyone doing this will need 2 seal kits to do both sides.

That being said the methanol does a great job of cleaning the inside of the headlight, and so far (6 months later) my headlights have not accumulated any additional fogging on the inside of the lens after replacing the seals with the new (improved) kit. Unfortunately they still need periodic cleaning of the outside to remove the oxidation that continues to occur due to UV exposure. My car stays garaged most of the time, so I only need to remove the oxidation every 6 months or so.
Anyone doing this will require only ONE kit, as you only replace one of the large covers on the back of the headlamp unit, buying two kits is a waste of money and will have parts left over.

Even the TSB says you require only one set and they would sell you a hundred sets if they possibly could. This has been done before a thousand times, the secret is only one large cap is replaced on each headlamp. Read the attached TSB thoroughly before you waste your money.

Attached Files
Old 12-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Problem just showed up on my 2007 Coupe. Ordered a seal kit from MOPAR Parts Overstock.

Thanks,

Old 12-07-2014, 12:38 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Problem just showed up on my 2007 Coupe. Ordered a seal kit from MOPAR Parts Overstock.

Thanks,

Is this the kit? : SEAL KIT. Headlamp. Lamps Front made by Mopar. #05174786AA

Old 12-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323

Thanks,
MOPAR Parts Overstock tells me that the seal kit referenced by others in this thread will not fit my 2007 model. The website is telling me that I have to order a separate seal kit for left & right headlights (P/N's are even different). Anyone else find this to be true?

MOPAR Parts Overstock refunded my PayPal payment that I originally sent with my order. Thought I would ask others on this forum before proceeding with a new order.

Later,

Old 01-01-2015, 02:55 PM

I ordered ONE kit as described earlier in this post and it has the parts to do two headlights. You only need one kit.

As far as cleaning the inside....mine are still cloudy or spotty on the inside. No way to fix without separating the plastic housing and getting inside. I used 99.99% methanol from a local mechanic - $3.00 a gallon and he removed it from a 55 barrel drum - verified it was pure. It did not resolve the inside problem. I have had the seal kit on for 6 months but that is not going to fix the condition that I see on the inside of the lens.

I need to find someone that can open up the lens for me.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Inside washing with methanol and outside little polishing.
Thank you for great idea with methanol!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
after2.jpg (70.6 KB, 129 views)
after3.jpg (104.7 KB, 125 views)
before2.jpg (49.6 KB, 118 views)
before3.jpg (88.8 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by kamilspider; 09-13-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:08 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kamilspider
Inside washing with methanol and outside little polishing.
Thank you for great idea with methanol!
and people laugh at me....

Happy it worked, sir!

Old 05-05-2018, 05:28 PM

Late to this discussion but can finally proceed with "cleaning the lens of the headlamps" using methanol. I read this solution about 4 years ago but couldn't find any methonal due to geography but that issue is resolved. I don't recall if this method requires removal of the headlamp but it certainly must to get the methanol onto the lens using gravity. Must the headlamp be removed and is there a thread to that process - 2006 Coupe 48,267 miles (Black).
Also I need a new hood piston if anyone knows where they can be had. Everything for these cars is getting more difficult to source as you know.
Thanks
Kimmer

Old 05-06-2018, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by kimmer
Late to this discussion but can finally proceed with "cleaning the lens of the headlamps" using methanol. I read this solution about 4 years ago but couldn't find any methonal due to geography but that issue is resolved. I don't recall if this method requires removal of the headlamp but it certainly must to get the methanol onto the lens using gravity. Must the headlamp be removed and is there a thread to that process - 2006 Coupe 48,267 miles (Black).
Also I need a new hood piston if anyone knows where they can be had. Everything for these cars is getting more difficult to source as you know.
Thanks
Kimmer
The title of the thread is “How to” so go to the first post and read how to do it.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:21 PM
Unhappy Re: How-to: Clean the inside of your headlamp Assembly

How to does not answer the question. "The first post" ?? How would anyone go about finding the first post? Is this a forum or a riddle site? Seriously!
Kimmer

Old 05-06-2018, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by kimmer
How to does not answer the question. "The first post" ?? How would anyone go about finding the first post? Is this a forum or a riddle site? Seriously!
Kimmer
Hint, this post of mine is #57, so the first would be #1.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:10 PM

The first post in this thread written by "Maxcichon" and it would be complete if he linked to to "how to remove the headlamp" or stated that it had to be removed. Mixcichon says " I poured in ~ 1/4 pint " however this would be extremely difficult to do if the headlight assembly remained in place. I used "remove headlamp" in the search feature but found no answers. This sounds like a workable solution but a lot of holes exist in the description of the process. Maxcichon also says to read post #17 which is addresses fluid characteristics. There does not appear to be a guide in the repair sections under body or electrical. Is there a reference to this proceedure somewhere because I'm pretty sure he had to remove the assembly and this would or should be part of the description of "how to" clean the inside of the headlamp. Just sayin !
Thanks.
Kimmer

Old 05-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How else would you do it? Remove the bulb , pour in fluid , then shake the car..hoping you could get it to splash up high enough to cover the whole inside of the housing..just saying.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:13 PM

I think you made my point. How is the headlamp assembly removed ?
Kimmer

Quick Reply: How-to: Clean the inside of your headlamp Assembly