TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to: Replace Clutch in '04 Coupe

Old 07-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to: Replace Clutch in '04 Coupe

Is this the correct flywheel bolt pattern? I purchased a flywheel from a salvage car, but from the pics it looks wrong. Plus it says LUK, pretty sure the oem flywheel didn't have that.

20140711_150750_zpst9c4oglh.jpg

Old 07-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

From center, do you see the extra space on the left and right between the holes above and under?

That's the 4+4 pattern which is the one you need. The older pattern is even spacing between all of the holes.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:38 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
From center, do you see the extra space on the left and right between the holes above and under?

That's the 4+4 pattern which is the one you need. The older pattern is even spacing between all of the holes.
Thanks Josh, I'll have my mechanic look at it tomorrow since it seems to have a lot of play in it. Hopefully he gives it the okay since the salvage yard looked it over and spruced it for sale.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:55 AM
Forum Regular

FYI, for those of you planning on changing out the flywheel and saving done money, DON'T!

The LuK DMF086 and the LuK DMF081 do not fit or cars, OEM it is for $1,300. Expensive lesson learned.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:12 AM
jmh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bit of a late Thanks but then again I'm just looking now ;-)

Great write up and thanks to whoever created the PDF (just finished printing). Looks like this will work for my 06 as well. About what I expected to have to do once I looked under the car but always nice to have confirmation and a guide to reference before the first time doing some work!

One, though I would hope obvious step, that seems missing was the "Unbolt from block..." step ;-) I think all the tranny bolts are easily seen so that would be 10 to remove if I remember the count (3 on each side from under the car and two on each side from in the engine compartment).

I'll try to remember to write down the sizes if anyone cares to update the info with that.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but would anyone be able to identify the black plastic piece hanging down looks like it's holding onto the bracket the orange piece is connected to in this picture. I recently started experiencing a flicking noise while driving that picks up at about 25mph. Sounds like a rubber band or something spinning around. There was no coinciding issues with the car. I was driving about 80 when it started(6 speed), came out of the blue but nothing changed with transmission, clutch, or engine. It shifts and drives with no difference other than the noise. Pretty soft because there's no heavy vibrations or anything with it either.
Upon trouble shooting I noticed that this piece connected to the aluminum piece above has broken. I'm sure this piece probably isn't my issue, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by ×Crossfire1×; 09-25-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:46 PM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by ×Crossfire1×

I know this is an old thread, but would anyone be able to identify the black plastic piece hanging down looks like it's holding onto the bracket the orange piece is connected to in this picture. I recently started experiencing a flicking noise while driving that picks up at about 25mph. Sounds like a rubber band or something spinning around. There was no coinciding issues with the car. I was driving about 80 when it started(6 speed), came out of the blue but nothing changed with transmission, clutch, or engine. It shifts and drives with no difference other than the noise. Pretty soft because there's no heavy vibrations or anything with it either.
Upon trouble shooting I noticed that this piece connected to the aluminum piece above has broken. I'm sure this piece probably isn't my issue, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It may be that part. Strange things happed at speed, anything can and does 'vibrate' at different frequencies. If that is all you noticed, go ahead and find that part (maybe in a scrap yard or recycler). Remember, you can also use a MB SLK-320 series from 2004 (ish). You didn't mention which you own but the drivetrain is damn near 100% SLK-320 (N/A) or AMG-32 (SRT-6) series in the 2004 era. Have you figured out how to get that part off, to compare it to something you can pick up? Also, you can delve into the factory service manuals to source that part (free in the downloads section). There are quite a few members here also that can help you source it if it is available. It'll take some homework (unless someone else chimes in with the ID of that piece), and before you take it out make sure you find out if it is an adjustable part (mark the settings like length and points of measurements). You might still have that 'vibration' after it is replaced so be prepared for that as well. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (09-25-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 05:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
It may be that part. Strange things happed at speed, anything can and does 'vibrate' at different frequencies. If that is all you noticed, go ahead and find that part (maybe in a scrap yard or recycler). Remember, you can also use a MB SLK-320 series from 2004 (ish). You didn't mention which you own but the drivetrain is damn near 100% SLK-320 (N/A) or AMG-32 (SRT-6) series in the 2004 era. Have you figured out how to get that part off, to compare it to something you can pick up? Also, you can delve into the factory service manuals to source that part (free in the downloads section). There are quite a few members here also that can help you source it if it is available. It'll take some homework (unless someone else chimes in with the ID of that piece), and before you take it out make sure you find out if it is an adjustable part (mark the settings like length and points of measurements). You might still have that 'vibration' after it is replaced so be prepared for that as well. Good luck!

Yea it's a 6spd 3.2l NA. I'll look through the manuals see what I can find. There's definitely a shortage of parts cars around for me to pick through. Hopefully I figure something out. Thanks for your reply.