TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Manual transmission issue

Old 12-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Manual transmission issue

When my car is cold, putting it in second gear feels odd, when it's warm there is no problem. This morning I skipped 2nd until the car got warm, then no issues. Whats going on here?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Manual transmission issue

I have a shifter also for the last 5 years. It always feels a bit stiff when it is cold out until it warms up. The colder it is the stiffer it is until it warms. It never gets unmanagable though. So I'd say you really have no problem.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cars will always have a notchy 1-2 shift. What I find best to do is row through gears 1-2 a few times while my car is warming up, shifting into second while driving becomes a lot easier.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you run the rpms up to 3000-3500.......super smooth!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indelibility
These cars will always have a notchy 1-2 shift. What I find best to do is row through gears 1-2 a few times while my car is warming up, shifting into second while driving becomes a lot easier.
I second that! do it every time.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not rev up to 3500 when cold. The actual solution is synthetic trans fluid, Ive used it in many manual trans vehicles and it improves shifting to where it feels like a different vehicle, very smooth and easy to shift. Last time I used Royal Purple syn trans lube.
Also learn how to double clutch, that solves all kinds of grinding problems in any situation.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdin
I would not rev up to 3500 when cold. The actual solution is synthetic trans fluid, Ive used it in many manual trans vehicles and it improves shifting to where it feels like a different vehicle, very smooth and easy to shift. Last time I used Royal Purple syn trans lube.
Also learn how to double clutch, that solves all kinds of grinding problems in any situation.
Many of us have changed to full syn tranny fluid, the issue is still there, it is inherent to the design. I run Mobile1 and while it helped, it did not solve the issue.

There is no 'grinding' but it is a notchy shift, and it has been reported across all the platforms that use this tranny...

Old 12-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdin
Why double declutch when you have a synchronized gear box? I had a manual NC and although there were the usual 1 to 2 troubles I never found them to difficult to master. Changes at the correct engine speed made it much easier, forcing it was where the hard changes occurred. I found the problem got easier as the car wore in more. I never drove it when the weather was cold, but I imagine it would be much harder then.
Not the easiest of boxes that's for sure, improvements are long overdue on the design.