TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Air Filters

Old 08-31-2013, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filters

Yes..I have to ask this question I posted a few days ago that my car was hesitating when I accelerated from a stop and also that it wanted to stall at lights. I received a couple of responses to that saying that it might be my crankshaft position sensor. MrMiata found one on Ebay for me which I purchased and then he walked me through installing it in my car. That didn't solve the problem so he just wondered how my air filters were looking. I just looked under the hood and don't see it..maybe if I pulled it out of the garage I'd have better luck locating it . I'm assuming there is a cabin filter and it's probably on the underside of the glove compartment. I'm driving a 2005 limited if that information is necessary. I checked the forum before I posted but couldn't find anything on changing the air filter. If they look okay, then I'm unfortunately heading to my mechanic this morning. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-31-2013, 09:13 AM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts
Default Re: Air Filters

The intake filters are in the shiny-plastic-looking cover over the engine. You pull up on the back of it, it will pop off and then you disconnect the two black hoses at the front.

Taking the assembly off hte car, turn it over - you will see the two covers, one on each side. Remove them using a screwdriver. The filters are inside the housing.

The Cabin filter just filters air to the cabin - has nothing to do iwth the engine.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:28 AM

Great....thanks! I'm going to give it a whirl this morning and hope that solves my problem.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Received 532 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Convertible girl
Great....thanks! I'm going to give it a whirl this morning and hope that solves my problem.
You'll need a torx bit, probably size #25, for the screwdriver. Make sure it is the biggest size bit that fits the head of the screw.
I doubt it is the filters, unless you live in a real dusty area and they have not been cleaned lately. I say it could be a fuel filter or pump. It is hard to say though.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You'll need a torx bit, probably size #25, for the screwdriver. Make sure it is the biggest size bit that fits the head of the screw.
I doubt it is the filters, unless you live in a real dusty area and they have not been cleaned lately. I say it could be a fuel filter or pump. It is hard to say though.
Yeah..I walked out there with a screwdriver and saw it was going to be the regular one. I actually found one that fit and took out one of the two air filters. I don't think the guy I bought the car from took good car of it so maybe it hasn't been changed in years! Here's a photo of what the one looks like. I'm hoping it solves the problem, but if it's the fuel pump it's covered under my vsc. Is the fuel filter something I can change? Geez...I'm going from never having done anything but make sure the air in my tires was at the correct level to changing out a CPS and more! I've never uploaded a pic here so hopefully this works.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
air filter.JPG (93.7 KB, 90 views)
Old 08-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Forum Regular

Well, they do look pretty bad. And they will affect your overall performance and fuel consumption. So no one else has suggested cleaning the Mass Air Flow sensor, either. But I'd give that a try too, as well as checking the battery. Do you still have the original white one? If so, a voltage drop can give the computer problems and affect the throttle function and idle.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ottawa John
Well, they do look pretty bad. And they will affect your overall performance and fuel consumption. So no one else has suggested cleaning the Mass Air Flow sensor, either. But I'd give that a try too, as well as checking the battery. Do you still have the original white one? If so, a voltage drop can give the computer problems and affect the throttle function and idle.
You are the first on that one and if you or someone can provide a link on how to do it and where it is I will do that also. Pics are always helpful!! I don't know if its the original battery. I wouldn't think so! The year is on the battery isn't it? I will check when I get back home. I'm on my way to get filters.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:17 AM

Can't find the Mann air filter but they have the purolator brand. Is that okay?

Old 08-31-2013, 11:45 AM

Can't find the Mann air filter but they have the purolator brand. Is that okay?
These are my choices on air filters. STP, Fram, K&M or Pro.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:41 PM
Forum Regular

Here's a general link on the MAF -
and another on actually cleaning one.
This was not done on a Crossfire - I think that it's VW - but the principles are the same. Don't worry about the clamps, etc. Watch the process and you'll see the similarities from the air filters and on. You can probably just spray the internal parts sufficiently without the full disassembly.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You gonna listen to the ***-hat in the first video that don't even have enough sense to use his seatbelt ?
And BTW, I've been in computers for nearly 45 years now, and have yet to meet a "happy" or "sad" one.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:33 PM

These are my choices on air filters. STP, Fram, K&M or Pro.
Just managed to find a K&N but they have to order the second to pick up later today. I also picked up the mass air flow sensor cleaner and throttle cleaner. Wish me luck because I am nervous about the last two!

Old 08-31-2013, 02:50 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

If the battery is white, it's a Varta and PROBABLY original.

They are supposed to punch out the year and month of purchase, that's how you know when the warranty starts, so yes, there should be indication of install date.

The fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter are all in one unit. They sell in the aftermarket world for about $30. I've never tried changing one, I think it's four hoses and four clamps, not very involved, but there will probably be pressurein the lines when you loosen the clamps, keep that in mind!

Old 08-31-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
If the battery is white, it's a Varta and PROBABLY original.

They are supposed to punch out the year and month of purchase, that's how you know when the warranty starts, so yes, there should be indication of install date.

The fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter are all in one unit. They sell in the aftermarket world for about $30. I've never tried changing one, I think it's four hoses and four clamps, not very involved, but there will probably be pressurein the lines when you loosen the clamps, keep that in mind!
If the fuel pump is bad, is the fuel filter part of the same thing.....as in if it the fuel pump which is covered under my vsc would the fuel filter fall under the fuel pump repair? Probably separate! Okay..I took two pics of the battery...definitely not original and I don't see any date unless it's somewhere other than the top.

Attached Images
xfire battery 1.JPG (114.9 KB, 28 views)
xfire battery 2.JPG (81.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
The fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter are all in one unit. They sell in the aftermarket world for about $30. I've never tried changing one, I think it's four hoses and four clamps, not very involved, but there will probably be pressure in the lines when you loosen the clamps, keep that in mind!

Yes there is a constant pressure in the fuel line.
This may be of help and there are many other places here that discuss fuel filter changes as well.
I've heard the clamps can be quite tricky and this filter and pump are located together underneath the car in front of the right rear wheel

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/685927-post3.html

Old 08-31-2013, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by VALK
Yes there is a constant pressure in the fuel line.
This may be of help and there are many other places here that discuss fuel filter changes as well.
I've heard the clamps can be quite tricky and this filter and pump are located together underneath the car in front of the right rear wheel

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/685927-post3.html
The word "tricky" coming from men who work on cars is a tad nervewracking and may have me rethinking the idea of doing that. Maybe I will get lucky and the filters and/or the mass air flow sensor being clean will do the trick and I won't have to think about going down that road.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:32 PM

Here's a general link on the MAF - How to Tell If You Really Need a Mass Air Flow Sensor | Auto Repair Kansas City | (816) 482-3677 - YouTube
and another on actually cleaning one. How to Clean a Mass Air flow Sensor (MAF) - YouTube
This was not done on a Crossfire - I think that it's VW - but the principles are the same. Don't worry about the clamps, etc. Watch the process and you'll see the similarities from the air filters and on. You can probably just spray the internal parts sufficiently without the full disassembly.
Where he says you can unplug it to see if you need a new one based on how the car responds.....do I just let the car idle in the driveway to see what happens as I assume I can't be driving it with it unplugged.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:41 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You can drive it with the MAF sensor unplugged, just don't expect it to run smooth.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
You can drive it with the MAF sensor unplugged, just don't expect it to run smooth.
But that video link said that you can tell if you need a new one if you unplug it and the car acts normally..or almost normally, although I'm not sure what almost normally means. I was hoping, if I do this, that I could drive it because that's when I notice the problem. I wouldn't even have to get out of my neighborhood to hit a few stop lights/signs to know.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:30 PM
Forum Regular

I wouldn't worry about all the testing. Do your best with the aerosol cleaning process because it won't hurt anything to clean it as part of a general maintenance item, put it back together and go for a drive. This is a simpler thing than the fuel pump and fuel filter, and you want to eliminate the simple things first. If this fixes it, problem solved. If not, you can look into the next issues.

Quick Reply: Air Filters