TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Sloppy steering...FIXED

Old 12-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sloppy steering...FIXED

If your Crossfire lurches over "tar snakes" or grooves in the pavement and you have changed the steering dampener to no affect, it is probably the steering shaft cinch bolts.

There are two such cinch bolts on the steering column. One is under the dash, the other is where the steering shaft bolts up to the steering gear. I found the one under the dash to be the culprit - the one by the steering box was quite tight.

To tighten it, you may have to remove the bottom most black plastic cover underneath the dash - use the instructions in the Sticky Key Fix article to remove the dash panel (excellent write up.)
The cinch bolt is an allen head bolt (see the picture.) I simply tightened mine up as firmly as possible without over tightening. I have not checked the Repair manual to see if there is a torque specification, but if I find one, I will add to this post.

In addition to eliminating the "hunting" that the steering used to do on irregular pavement, it has also straightened my steering wheel somewhat. It is not perfectly straight, but I think that may also be due to a loose front axle locking nut. I changed the front brake pads recently and was able to feel slight play when tugging on the left side rotor. I didn't have enough time then to pull the grease cap and check the bearing play, but I will be doing it soon and I expect that tightening up the wheel bearings properly will remove the remaining bit of slack in the front end.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pinch Bolt.jpg (26.1 KB, 901 views)

Last edited by Valk; 12-04-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: adjusted photo size
The following users liked this post:
Kraig (12-26-2020)
Old 12-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sloppy steering….FIXED

Thanks for the tip. I have replaced the steering damper to no avail. I will check it out.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:32 PM

I like the big picture.

My steering/handling has been all over the road in grooves and over the center stripe like you are explaining since I've owned it, stabilizer replacement didn't change it, I think I try this before new lower ball joints or looking into replacement adjustable rear suspension linkages.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Forum Regular

Gonna check this today. Looks like the torque is 22ft lbs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
torque.jpg (155.1 KB, 489 views)
Old 03-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Default Re: Sloppy steering...FIXED

Has anyone tried this on an SRT-6? I tried to find that bolt today on my 2005, but no luck. I even tried extending/pushing the wheel back. Was really trying to find an annoying mouse squeak when the steering wheel is turned very little (few mm?) but I figured I would go behind the airbag last. Noise seems to happen whether steering wheel is fully extended or in.

Last edited by Plzdontsideswipeme; 03-09-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:09 AM
Forum Regular

Hi,

Any updates about the sloppy play in the steering gear?

Looks like we all suffer from this...

Thanks,

Max

Old 05-19-2015, 12:44 AM
Forum Regular

Hi,

Could you help pinpoint the sloppy bolt regarding the wheel steering under the hood?

I did tie up the one , a few times, under the dash""
It feels tight for a few weeks and get bad again. IT IS KILLING ME and feel a bit dangerous to drive with such a sloppy feeling.

Please help

Thank You

Max

Old 05-20-2015, 01:28 AM
Forum Regular

Need some help to locate the wheel steering bolt under the hood!!

Please help.

Thanks

Max

Old 05-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Hello all,
I would like to reactivate this subject as I have the same issue on my Xfire. It seems that the screw shown on the picture is well screwed. Who can show me a picture of how it is done under the car at the steering box level?
Thanks in advance!
Steph

Old 05-19-2017, 11:38 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by stod
Hello all,
I would like to reactivate this subject as I have the same issue on my Xfire. It seems that the screw shown on the picture is well screwed. Who can show me a picture of how it is done under the car at the steering box level?
Thanks in advance!
Steph

Hi Steph, I am sure I read this somewhere in the service manual. Have you downloaded the free (yes FREE) service manual from the forum document collection? It is probably in the suspension section but I am sure you can find the reference by doing a search within the .pdf file for steering box play (or the like). I am not too sure there would be a 'forum' reference where a member posted, but you can also try that search route here in the forum as well. I do not think it is that easy to 'tighten' up the play but I also don't have any experience in this platform with adjusting the steering box play. Good luck!

Old 05-19-2017, 12:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can the bolt under the dash be used to straighten a slightly crooked steering wheel ? In other words, if the steering wheel isn't exactly level when going straight. So if that bolt is loosened, it allows the steering wheel to move independent of the shaft while being adjusted ? That sounds crazy dangerous if people find that loose occasionally ! My wheel is ever so slightly off, and I am thinking of checking to make sure the bolt is tight in the first place (for safety), then seeing if I can make a slight adjustment.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:04 AM

Hi GG! And thanks for the information!
Yes I have the documentation, and this WE I bought 2 ramps in order to look under the car. And I found that the play in the steering wheel is coming for the steering box itself.
Now I have to understand if the play can be adjusted, I saw on the web literature that most of the boxes have one screw to perform this adjustment. What about the Xfire one!? Who can help me on that!
Thanks in advance,
Steph.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:10 PM

A slightly askew steering wheel is a different issue with a different solution. Watch some videos on how to replace an old steering wheel and they will cover how you make sure your wheel is aligned correct.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:01 PM

I would like to tighten mine also. The adjustment nut is on the top of the steering gear box in line with the steering shaft. there is no easy way to get to the adjustment screw and jam nut. I recall that the shop manual says that the steering gear box would have to be removed. To do this requires jacking up the engine a bit after undoing all kinds of other stuff. If the adjustment screw with the corresponding jam nut were easy to get to it would be a 5 minute job. I am thinking of cutting a hole in the heat shield to see if I can get to it that way. You can't see it because of the shield. You can feel it from underneath the car.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:39 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. I would like to check mine out.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

I would check the ball joints, bearing preload, damping cylinder etc before I saw this as a quick and cheap cure. I am sure they would wear out and affect the steering sooner.
The steering box wears in the area that sees most use, tightening anything in the worn area can lead to overtightness in the rarely used area if it is anything like an old beater I tried this on.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:31 AM

Hi
Did you resolve the steering play as I have the same same issue stationary I can rock the steering wheel from side to side
Did you manage to access the steering box adjuster

many thanks