TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Convertible Top Switch fell into console

Old 07-13-2015, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Top Switch fell into console

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do to fix it?

Old 07-13-2015, 07:39 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Re: Convertible Top Switch fell into console

The switch just snaps into place. Unfortunately you'll need to unfasten the center console and lift it up to get your hand underneath to snap the switch up into position. You'll find step by step directions to remove the center console here:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...ion-manual.pdf

Old 07-13-2015, 08:36 AM
Smile Re: Convertible Top Switch fell into console

Thank you so much for the helpful suggestion.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:45 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

HINT: Get on the list for the rcompart one touch switch mod, that way you won't have to hold it down all the time :
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ighlight=touch

Old 07-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully it just popped out and the tab isnt broken. you will need the whole silver trim then.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:12 AM

Hi. It is the clip on the silver trim that has broken. I looked online for the trim piece and can't seem to find what I need. Any suggestions???

Old 07-14-2015, 12:46 PM

They do become available on E-Bay occasionally but your search is more difficult because you need the more rare trim piece specific for a roadster (that has the hole in it for the top switch). Here is a current listing for the complete center console.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Crossfire-dark-slate-gray-center-console-/221378933630?hash=item338b36737e&vxp=mtr
Here's another one (I think) . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-07-08-CROSSFIRE-CONSOLE-FRONT-FLOOR-CONV-MT-366457-/381230361293?fits=Model%3ACrossfire&hash=item58c319aacd&vxp=mtr
So you've taken the console out and found that one end of the clip has broken off, right? Do you have the broken piece? If so you can get some epoxy glue and glue the broken clip piece back in place. Then after the epoxy sets up thoroughly (don't be in a hurry) and you pop the top switch back in place, you can put a cable tie / wire tie around the entire clip in section to hold it more securely. I've put cable ties on my power window switches to hold them securely in place.

Last edited by RED DOG; 07-14-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:08 PM

I have the trim partially lifted off. I am afraid to try to get the rest off for fear of breaking. The front part of the clip is broken on the trim and if I get it off I would (hopefully) get the broken piece off. I also thought of measuring the switch and have a little bracket fabricated. I would epoxy that on (it was just a thought) so afraid of breaking the trim 😩

Originally Posted by RED DOG
They do become available on E-Bay occasionally but your search is more difficult because you need the more rare trim piece for a roadster (that has the hole in it for the top switch). Here is a current listing for the complete center console.

Chrysler Crossfire Dark Slate Gray Center Console | eBay

Here's another one (I think) . . .

05 06 07 08 Crossfire Console Front Floor Conv MT 366457 | eBay

So you've taken the console out and found that one end of the clip has broken off, right? Do you have the broken piece? If so you can get some epoxy glue and glue the broken clip piece back in place. Then after everything set up thoroughly and you pop the top switch back in place, you can put a cable tie / wire tie around the entire clip in section to hold it securely. I've had to put the cable ties on my power window switches to hold them securely in place.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:16 PM
Forum Regular

If your good at cutting, the coupe center has the same mount under it as the roadster, the hole is just not cut out. I got one and traced the circle from the original and cut it with my dremel. works perfectly

Old 07-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buttercup Girl
I have the trim partially lifted off. I am afraid to try to get the rest off for fear of breaking. The front part of the clip is broken on the trim and if I get it off I would (hopefully) get the broken piece off. I also thought of measuring the switch and have a little bracket fabricated. I would epoxy that on (it was just a thought) so afraid of breaking the trim ��
There are 2 torx screws in the back of the trim closest to the pull up door on the console.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:34 PM

You really need to remove that whole center console to work on your project . . . Two 10mm nuts under the carpet at the rear of the opening glove box

and two screw holding the front section of the console

Pull up the parking brake all the way and remove the rubber cover from the parking brake handle (you will probably need to stick a small screwdriver down between the brake handle and the rubber cover on each side and and squirt some WD40 down in there to loosen it up so you can pull it off), unplug the electrical (power mirror control - just pull the connector off) and unplug the air line going to the opening glove box lock (the roadster console glove box locks with the doors) and then you can lift out the center console. Once you have the console out, all will become clear grasshopper.

This would be a good time to replace that useless cupholder with the plastic bin too.

Want to add to your project?? Check this out . . .

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post762456

Last edited by RED DOG; 07-14-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:14 PM

Wow thank you very much for the info on how to get the console out! As luck would have it it is pouring here. I will attempt over the weekend as I don't have a garage. Thank you very much once again! I will post an update once I begin the process👍🏻😃

Old 07-14-2015, 05:42 PM

This is a view of the underside of the center console.

As you can see, the front part of that trim panel is held in by snap in clips (the ones you've pried up) but the back is held in by two screws (one shown to the right of the yellow writing and the other shown in between the two red arrows on the right of the picture) You'll need a torx bit screwdriver to remove those screws.

Credit to member Larry Hitze for all these photos I have re-posted here on this thread . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 07-15-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:01 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by RED DOG
This is a view of the underside of the center console.

As you can see, the front part of that trim panel is held in by snap in clips (the ones you've pried up) but the back is held in by two screws (one shown to the right of the yellow writing and the other show in between the two red arrows on the right of the picture) You'll need a torx bit screwdriver to remove those screws.

Credit to member Larry Hitze for all these photos I have re-posted here on this thread . . .
Slightly off topic but to remove the bin you can squeeze in the sides in the middle of the bin and it pulls right out, no need to remove the console and you have an even more secure hidey hole.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:25 PM

I know this is an ancient thread but I'll toss in a bit of possible help to people who may have the problem down the road. In my case, the car had a similar problem but it was the mirror switch. When I removed the console I found one clip was broken but was luckily laying beneath. First I tried super glue but that was a joke. Then I read about Q-Bond and tried it. It was amazing. When I snapped the switch back in, there was a nice loud firm click and the clip held.

As for Q-Bond, check out YouTube and search for "super glue and baking soda." Apparently that is all that Q-Bond actually is. Use a little super glue to get the clip to stay in place. Then sprinkle a little baking soda on the backside where a bit of the damp glue is. It will harden in seconds. I mean like three or four seconds. Put a bit more baking soda on it and another drop of glue. Again, it will harden fast. Do it for three or four layers. It is amazingly fast and strong. On YouTube you'll find people repairing all sorts of things. Give it a try on some scrap plastic or metal first to get an idea.

Last edited by MarkT777; 08-30-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:31 AM

Thank you for your idea! I was able to rig the switch with a modified bracket which was a touch too shallow so I epoxied dimes to each end and then used the same epoxy blend to fasten it to the top of the cover. It has been two years and still holding. The switch itself is a little temperamental but functions. I will remember your Q-bond formula!!

Originally Posted by MarkT777
I know this is an ancient thread but I'll toss in a bit of possible help to people who may have the problem down the road. In my case, the car had a similar problem but it was the mirror switch. When I removed the console I found one clip was broken but was luckily laying beneath. First I tried super glue but that was a joke. Then I read about Q-Bond and tried it. It was amazing. When I snapped the switch back in, there was a nice loud firm click and the clip held.

As for Q-Bond, check out YouTube and search for "super glue and baking soda." Apparently that is all that Q-Bond actually is. Use a little super glue to get the clip to stay in place. Then sprinkle a little baking soda on the backside where a bit of the damp glue is. It will harden in seconds. I mean like three or four seconds. Put a bit more baking soda on it and another drop of glue. Again, it will harden fast. Do it for three or four layers. It is amazingly fast and strong. On YouTube you'll find people repairing all sorts of things. Give it a try on some scrap plastic or metal first to get an idea.