TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to do a homemade Muffler Upgrade free

Old 02-06-2016, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How to do a homemade Muffler Upgrade free

i posted the video on my YouTube channel describing how and what it sounds like before and after

Hope it helped or interests you

Old 02-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: How to do a homemade Muffler Upgrade free

It makes you car stall.

But it sounds pretty decent!

Aren't the OEM mufflers aluminized steel? I wonder how fast rust will core that thing out...

Old 02-07-2016, 09:56 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Illegal,. immoral, and fattening. I don't like an exhaust leak under the car & particularly a coupe.

What I am thinking about is dropping the whole system from the collector back and have a local shop fabricate a 2.5" straight pipe and put one of
<i>these</i> these
on the end.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
Illegal,. immoral, and fattening. I don't like an exhaust leak under the car & particularly a coupe.

What I am thinking about is dropping the whole system from the collector back and have a local shop fabricate a 2.5" straight pipe and put one of these on the end.

There is no collector, just two 2 1/4 pipes into the resonator. A single 2 1/2 pipe will cause some back pressure, you need something that will flow as much as two 2 1/4 pipes. This is approximate since the stock pipes are metric, a little less than 2 1/4.

Last edited by JEFASOLD; 02-08-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:08 PM
Thumbs up Re: How to do a homemade Muffler Upgrade free

Originally Posted by Padgett
Illegal, immoral, and fattening.
Immoral? so its wrongful to experiment with a muffler, ha wow and fattening?!

I really hope you know that im a teenager with a nice car and im going to do some things you might not like, but come on. I'm trying to have fun with experimenting. I didn't spend much money on buying this car, heck my father bought it for me and also another point on making that video and doing it was to spread the info around for people like myself that have to buy a muffler with money that i dont have. I cant weld so straight pipe is not an option. This is a temp modification for when i do decide to jack it way high and take it all apart.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
you need something that will flow as much as two 2 1/4 pipes. This is approximate since the stock pipes are metric, a little less than 2 1/4.
I was going to try that next after i get the money and equipment and a nice hot few days to do that

Old 02-08-2016, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
It makes you car stall.

But it sounds pretty decent!

Aren't the OEM mufflers aluminized steel? I wonder how fast rust will core that thing out...
Haven't stalled out since, and yea its just the right sounding for my liking. I shouldn't have to worry about the rust because this is a temp mod, since im going to do a straight pipe next.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:21 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

We are just concerned that if you are stuck in traffic for any significant period of time, the carbon monoxide might build up.
If you don't mind headaches and blue lips, then keep on truckin !

Reminds me of the time when I was assigned a company car that had an exhaust leak at the muffler.
I had headaches for days, and the boss wouldn't pay to have it fixed cause it wasn't making any noise.
I talked him into riding around with me for a day, the next day it was in the shop to get fixed.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 02-08-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
We are just concerned that if you are stuck in traffic for any significant period of time, the carbon monoxide might build up.
If you don't mind headaches and blue lips, then keep on truckin !

Reminds me of the time when I was assigned a company car that had an exhaust leak at the muffler.
I had headaches for days, and the boss wouldn't pay to have it fixed cause it wasn't making any noise.
I talked him into riding around with me for a day, the next day it was in the shop to get fixed.
Hahaha sometimes a boss needs the proof or they are just stubborn. I appreciate the concern but the only reply to this thread that really made me a little angry was the specific someone who said some unnecessary things -> i quote "immoral, and fattening."

Old 02-09-2016, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by MrRyan96521
Hahaha sometimes a boss needs the proof or they are just stubborn. I appreciate the concern but the only reply to this thread that really made me a little angry was the specific someone who said some unnecessary things -> i quote "immoral, and fattening."

Sometimes it doesn't take much to make some of us old guys a little grumpy but usually we aren't so bad. We just show concern for both the owners and the cars, we don't want to see either abused. Go ahead and experiment, if nobody tried new things, where would we be?

Old 02-10-2016, 07:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And you have to understand that some of the more dumbass things people have tried are embarrassing to the rest of us.

A person sees something done to one Crossie and they assume the next one they see is driven by a dumbass too.

Not saying you are, but that's what happens.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You put a hole in your exhaust. Most people don't see this as a mod and most are really thinking "WTF did you that for?!?". It's great that you're trying to mod your car to your taste, but not everyone likes the same thing. This is especially true when you do a ricer "mod" on a German/American car.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

I guess that the humor intended in those words flew over your head.
Do not park your car in a quite spot with your girlfriend with the engine running or you could be found cold and stiff in the morning and not in a good way.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:57 PM

Haven't stalled out since, and yea its just the right sounding for my liking. I shouldn't have to worry about the rust because this is a temp mod, since im going to do a straight pipe next.
While that may sound good to your ears, I don't think it will pass inspection anywhere, those holes are hard to miss. There are some good posts on modifying the exhaust, do a search
and gather some info, then have a go at it. Learn what you can about back pressure, turbulence, laminar air flow, the scavenging effect, apply this to your plan and see what you can do.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Thumbs up Re: How to do a homemade Muffler Upgrade free

Keep up the good work MrRyan. The throaty growl of your muffler MOD is right-on. The exhaust note you have achieved with such a simple change is better than the majority I have heard (from newly purchased $600 to $800 dollar systems to other homebrews). Consider covering the holes with mesh to keep debris out. Also you may want to consider tack welding a small cup shape (with outlet facing rearward) to cover your new screened opening (covers and protects the opening, but still allows your growl to escape.

S.T.E.M is a wonderful thing.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:12 PM

Just as long as your happy young man !, I remember doing things on the cheap when I was a hell of a lot younger. Now most of us can afford to pay and play.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by pop49
Just as long as your happy young man !, I remember doing things on the cheap when I was a hell of a lot younger. Now most of us can afford to pay and play.
Amen to that, Amen to that!