TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Gas full door spring broke

Old 03-04-2016, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas full door spring broke

Has anyone removed thier
gas fill door from their crossfire? Mine is a 2005 roadster. Stopped for gas the other day, after filling the tank closed the fill door and it will not stay closed. I can lock the doors and the gas filler door will lock closed. Soon as unlock drivers door fill door opens slightly. The popper retracts and push it to pop up.

Last edited by croneca; 03-04-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Gas full door spring broke

Originally Posted by croneca
Has anyone removed thier
gas fill door from their crossfire? Mine is a 2005 roadster. Stopped for gas the other day, after filling the tank closed the fill door and it will not stay closed. I can lock the doors and the gas filler door will lock closed. Soon as unlock drivers door fill door opens slightly. The popper retracts and push it to pop up.
So it cannot be ajar too much. The tether that keeps the cap attached to the car can get in the way, if so spin the tether around so it does not interfere with the body work.
I'll add some pics of the door area for you of what you'll see if you have to take it apart.
You'll have to remove the trunk interior panels as shown, you do not have to remove the carpet over the gas tank, just the too side ones.
I think that the whole door assembly is undone inside the trunk and remove from the outside.
Be careful of the door lock motor as noted, it is delicate and no doubt expensive.
See the Service Manual for full details.
To get to it click on the red "Index of repairs .........." in my signature below and look for The Crossfire documentation item, it is the first one on the list.

Photos by fastfunfor2

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-08-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:13 PM

Awesome, I crawled into the truck the other day and looked at the backside of the filler assembly, could not figure out how that thing was held in there. Figured there had to be bolts somewhere I could not see. Good point about protecting the paint finish and to be careful with filler door air lock motor.

Thanks again

The following users liked this post:
pmiere (01-30-2023)
Old 03-08-2016, 01:09 PM

Awesome, I crawled into the truck the other day and looked at the backside of the filler assembly, could not figure out how that thing was held in there. Figured there had to be bolts somewhere I could not see. Good point about protecting the paint finish and to be careful with filler door air lock motor.

Thanks again
From the Service Manual.

FUEL FILL DOOR
REMOVAL
1. Open the fuel filler door (1).
2. Remove the two bolts (2).
3. Remove the fuel filler door.

The bolts are by the hinge.

Trouble is I cannot see them on my 2005.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-08-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:28 AM

I drove the crossfire to work this morning, at lunch I will attempt to remove the gas filler door and take a look at the broken spring which holds the door closed. Thanks for the info from the service manual.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:39 AM

I drove the crossfire to work this morning, at lunch I will attempt to remove the gas filler door and take a look at the broken spring which holds the door closed. Thanks for the info from the service manual.
As I say in the post I cannot see the screws that are supposed to be there according to the manual. I think the screws are inside.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:42 AM

Lucky for us here in the great north west, we have a break in the weather today. I will run down and look for those two bolts (screws) to release the fill door.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:14 PM

It was an easy disassembly. Removed the filler door pneumatic locking actuator, locking pin and rubber over flow hose. Removed cap from tank, 4 clips held the assembly to the rear panel and it came right out.

Here are the 4 clips locations to get the assembly out of the fender, two on top and two on the bottom:

Here is a pic of the hinge, it has a key way formed in the center. The plastic key on the hinge pin broke.

Spring connected to the hinge pin. I ended up super glue the pin and fill door back together.

I am back up and running with a closed fill door again. Thanks for the help, have a great weekend

Old 03-11-2016, 11:41 PM

It was an easy disassembly. Removed the filler door pneumatic locking actuator, locking pin and rubber over flow hose. Removed cap from tank, 4 clips held the assembly to the rear panel and it came right out.
.Spring connected to the hinge pin. I ended up super glue the pin and fill door back together.
I am not to sure about the super glue use here. It depends on the forces trying to tear the part of again. Pealing strength of these glues is not too good.