TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Replacing SRT6 Automatic Shifter Assembly

Old 05-20-2016, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Replacing SRT6 Automatic Shifter Assembly

So as I was enjoying my smooth ride my crossfire started to switch into the gears on its own and stalled a bit. I pulled over and shut the car off. Thus leading to an issue with my car no longer starting the engine up and all the dash board lights/gauges started going crazy. Shut the car off again and bam it starts up again everything is working fine except the gear shifter. I could no longer shift out of park. Now knowing that the shifter is electrical I'm guessing its was an electric problem so took it to the local pep boys and they gave me a quote for 3k. No way I'm paying that so now I have two shifter assembly and I want to do the job myself, only problem is I've spent a while trying to find instructions on how to get it out and no luck. Please someone help me!

Old 05-20-2016, 07:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Replacing SRT6 Automatic Shifter Assembly

If your wanting to just replace the shifter, you can download a service manual ,here on the forum. It will provide step by step instructions. What trouble codes did you get, when you went to pepboys?

Old 05-20-2016, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
If your wanting to just replace the shifter, you can download a service manual ,here on the forum. It will provide step by step instructions. What trouble codes did you get, when you went to pepboys?
Ok I'll look for that thank you and if I'm not mistaken the codes were p0600, p2098 and p0705.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:33 PM

Use the search feature, and in quotation marks use, "P0705" this will narrow your search. I believe the threads you find, when doing this will provide you the answer you are looking for.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:18 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Use the search feature, and in quotation marks use, "P0705" this will narrow your search. I believe the threads you find, when doing this will provide you the answer you are looking for.
You are correct, it does not sound like a shifter problem at all. Most likely the plate in the tranny, I had a 300 and it had similar problems with a similar tranny that got worse over time, days actually. Solenoid was rebuilt by dealer and the problem was gone.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You are correct, it does not sound like a shifter problem at all. Most likely the plate in the tranny, I had a 300 and it had similar problems with a similar tranny that got worse over time, days actually. Solenoid was rebuilt by dealer and the problem was gone.
It was the shifter. I bought one from eBay and replaced the old one and bam everything is working fine. I'm lucky I guess the stealership told me 3k and I got it done for like 350 total. Thanks for the help though !

Old 05-24-2016, 01:00 PM

Glad your back on the road. What actually broke, that wouldn't allow you to shift?

Old 05-25-2016, 12:02 PM

The shop told me it was an electrical failure due to liquid getting into the shifter assembly but I never spilled anything in there, so it's almost still a mystery to me. I trust the shop near my place though they give you the good, the bad and the ugly without trying to rip you off.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Did they give you the old assembly ?
Can I have it ?
I'll gladly pay shipping cost via paypal.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:07 AM
Biz

SOS - After a sudden cloudburst, my 2005 Crossfire is stuck in limp mode. It is throwing code P0705. Pretty sure water got in my shifter assembly. Where can I get instructions on replacing?

Old 06-28-2016, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Biz
SOS - After a sudden cloudburst, my 2005 Crossfire is stuck in limp mode. It is throwing code P0705. Pretty sure water got in my shifter assembly. Where can I get instructions on replacing?
I don't think you have to remove the entire console, but I could be wrong.
Anyhoo :

Old 06-28-2016, 10:30 AM
Biz

WOW! Thank you so VERY much for the help. This doesn't look too bad. I was afraid I would have to put it up on jacks.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrossMarine7494
The shop told me it was an electrical failure due to liquid getting into the shifter assembly but I never spilled anything in there, so it's almost still a mystery to me. I trust the shop near my place though they give you the good, the bad and the ugly without trying to rip you off.
You trust yourself and with everyone else you hope! Except with your fellow Crossfire members of course😉

Old 06-28-2016, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Biz
WOW! Thank you so VERY much for the help. This doesn't look too bad. I was afraid I would have to put it up on jacks.
A hair dryer may do the trick for you once you get access to the shifter assembly. Of course you may have to unplug everything and take the assembly loose and Shake all the water out of it first and then take the hair dryer to it but it just might work and save you some money.😉

Old 06-29-2016, 09:40 AM
Biz

I will certainly give it a try. Attempting to dry it in place has not been successful. Question - the dealer has indicated that there could be programing or code issues if you install a used unit. In other words it may not be as simple as plug-and-play. Ever hear of that?

Old 06-29-2016, 10:06 AM

Nope. I know for a fact that red dog swapped one in an SRT6 cause he sent me the bad one to play with.
I took it totally apart to see what makes it tick. It's currently in a box in my garage.
He had no problem with the swap as far as I know.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Nope. I know for a fact that red dog swapped one in an SRT6 cause he sent me the bad one to play with.
I took it totally apart to see what makes it tick. It's currently in a box in my garage.
I agree ,should not be an issue ,should be simple Plug and Play. if the repair manual makes no mention of reprogramming then it is not an issue.
Now the limp in mode may be a different story, if after you fix the shifter problem and disconnect the ground cable if it doesn't reset itself you may end up having to go to the dealer to have the codes erased and the limp in mode reset, I am not 100% positive on this but maybe ala-xfire can offer some insight.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Biz

I ordered a used shifter on eBay. It arrived today and I installed it. Everything works! YAY!!! But... Doing it was a royal pain. After some minor struggles I had the rear console removed. The front console was too challenging (perhaps with some instructions it would have been easier) so I used a cheat I read about - cutting a plastic support. That gave me just enough room to unbolt and lift out the bad shifter. Then the retaining clip - very little room to get my hands on it. After about an hour of struggling with the clip I realize it slid off. Anyhow it's all back together now and I am MOST GRATEFUL for the help. It would have been almost $3,000 to have the dealer replace the unit with a new one. My cost was $250 plus about 5 hours of work.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:54 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I just saw this thread. Good job doing the R & R on the shifter assembly yourself! Been there . . . Done that . . . Getting the retaining clip reattached to the shifter control arm is one of the most difficult steps. Enjoy your Crossfire!

Old 07-03-2016, 07:56 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Hey Dr. George . . . Did you see any evidence of why that shifter assembly failed?

Quick Reply: Replacing SRT6 Automatic Shifter Assembly