TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Sticky ignition

Old 01-30-2017, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sticky ignition

Not sure your situation and whether you can afford (have time) to keep at it, but it sounds like everything is functional, just doesn't go back together quite right. If the dash is still in pieces, I'd repeat the steps that started the car and keep turning over the engine as you inch the key back into the cylinder.

I'd slowly piece it back together, attempting to start the car every time a piece is replaced and identify where exactly it stops turning over.

If it's not ignition control, the tumblers, or SKREEM I'd suspect something is funny with the ring or wiring. Connections can be wonky at times and sometimes appear good but corrode at the terminals or a dozen other things. Piecing it back together and finding out when it fails would identify which connections could be at fault.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:19 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitcat9
Had a friend come by today to help. At the conclusion we established the ignition switch- o.k., lock cylinder housing- o.k. Ignition harness- o.k., SKREEM- o.k., antenna ring- o.k. Fuses- o.k. How do I know?, connected everything EXCEPT the key/ tumbler. Set antennae ring in ashtray then rested key inside of ring, took screw driver and turned the cylinder housing. Car started right up! No problem. BUT... WHEN PUTTING THE TUMBLER BACK IN CYLINDER ( CORRECTLY ) as well as black locking cap and antenna ring ( sits at 12 o' clock ) no pinched wires,turn key to position "1" everything fine, turn to "2", start, nothing, same as before. Can't figure out what's wrong with tumbler. At least I did process of elimination and narrowed it down. I guess I just figured out how to hot wire a car!! It sure was nice to hear car start up I love the sound, sure did miss it! Will go to dealership this week with tumbler/key and see about new one. Do you guys recommend Mercedes dealer or Chrysler? By the sounds of a lot of posts I have read lately it seems Mercedes came up on top. Anyone agree??
It is a couple of years since I did mine but I thought the antenna wire sat at 6 o'clock. If that is what you mean.
Are you sure that the tumbler is not rotated 180 degrees? Or that the key is not at position 1 when you put it back together.
I am probably all wrong but that is the way I remember it.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:04 AM

When I say antenna ring I'm referring to halo ring that snaps over key tumbler/black cylinder lock. Where wire is attached it should sit on flat part at (12 o'clock).

Old 01-30-2017, 11:27 AM

When I say antenna ring I'm referring to halo ring that snaps over key tumbler/black cylinder lock. Where wire is attached it should sit on flat part at (12 o'clock).
New tumbler means new key, new key is probably just a plain key, halo has to hang loose with chip or fob taped to it. New key will not open drivers door, so spare key required. Cheapest from a Mercedes dealer if you can get them to sell to you.
Of course you could get the whole thing from a Chrysler dealer, new ignition assembly, new fob and god knows what else. Probably cost $2,000 if they do the work. Can they supply a whole kit that matches your key? Probably not as they will want to make as much as possible.
My suggestion is fix what you have, lf you did not play with the tumbler you must be repeating the same mistake all the time.
I think the tumbler is upside down, or the key is not in position one when you put it in.
When you have it together do you have an accessory position? That is one position to the left.
When you have the tumbler in your hand, does it look like it aligns with the slot in the switch?

Old 01-30-2017, 03:50 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
It is a couple of years since I did mine but I thought the antenna wire sat at 6 o'clock. If that is what you mean.
Are you sure that the tumbler is not rotated 180 degrees? Or that the key is not at position 1 when you put it back together.
I am probably all wrong but that is the way I remember it.

Agree with the 6 o'clock. Did the Sticky Key repair on the Turbo Crossfire yesterday.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:51 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
Agree with the 6 o'clock. Did the Sticky Key repair on the Turbo Crossfire yesterday.
That must mean it is still running .....

Old 01-31-2017, 08:46 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Several people now have said it should fit at 6 o'clock, so I would definitely take a good look at that. If the problem persists and you are taking the tumbler and key to a dealership looking for a new part you may as well first stop at a locksmith with some good auto experience and have him look at those tumblers. Maybe he can get what you have working again for you. It would be much less than buying new.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:17 PM
Smile Re: Sticky ignition

Whitecat9,
A shame that you don't live closer to Orlando? I found a lock smith who can fix any igination problem, usually in an hour. I found him by accident, trying to find someone to cut new key blanks from my old ones. I told him my trials and tribulations with the sticky ignition. Towing, Chrysler dealer and $1800 for whole new ignition and labor. It still end up costing about $900. He told me had I know him, he would have sent one of his people and fixed it in about 2hrs and would have charged $300, max. I went thought the
halo hanging loose with chip taped to it. The new cut keys were put in new fobs. Anyways his # is kept in my wallet just encase.

Last edited by djohn14296; 01-31-2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: for to proof read, duh
Old 01-31-2017, 11:49 PM

I went through my photos and it looks like the halo wire can be at 6 or 12 o'clock.
Is it possible that the OP has solved the issue as it is two days since he was here.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-01-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:51 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Is it possible that the OP has solved the issue as it is two days since he was here.

Cue the 'JAWS' theme song, building into a 'crashendo' (yeah I know I spelled it wrong, totally intended). Can you imagine driving down the road and the entire lockset pops out into your lap and the steering wheel locks? O M GAWD.....

Old 02-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Cue the 'JAWS' theme song, building into a 'crashendo' (yeah I know I spelled it wrong, totally intended). Can you imagine driving down the road and the entire lockset pops out into your lap and the steering wheel locks? O M GAWD.....

Pucker factor of 12 on a 1-10 scale !

Old 02-02-2017, 04:15 PM

Problem not solved yet. Been working (some of us still have to) and still trying to figure out why engine does not engage. Everything works fine until I put tumbler in. Tumbler does go in correctly as well as black cylinder cap. I've put transponder ring in at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock. Key is recognized by skreem but engine does not turn over. When I remove key/tumbler and put screwdriver in ignition cylinder it cranks right up. I ordered a lock cylinder today- Mercedes part- and will be here Monday. I will then change out the pins and put old in new cylinder while keeping my old key since there is no problem with the key. We'll see. You guys have been extremely helpful and I appreciate all the time you have put in trying to assist me. Very grateful.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I went through my photos and it looks like the halo wire can be at 6 or 12 o'clock.
I wouldn't think that a piece of wire designed to send signal from the antenna would make any difference on placement since the antenna itself is what is receiving the RFID signal.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
I wouldn't think that a piece of wire designed to send signal from the antenna would make any difference on placement since the antenna itself is what is receiving the RFID signal.
That was not the point.
Whatever protrudes from the tumbler assembly must locate in the switch body and turn when the key is turned. So what stops it?

Old 02-02-2017, 08:49 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

That was not the point.
Whatever protrudes from the tumbler assembly must locate in the switch body and turn when the key is turned. So what stops it?
Sorry, by halo wire I took that to mean RFID antenna.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:04 PM

Problem not solved yet. Been working (some of us still have to) and still trying to figure out why engine does not engage. Everything works fine until I put tumbler in. Tumbler does go in correctly as well as black cylinder cap. I've put transponder ring in at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock. Key is recognized by skreem but engine does not turn over. When I remove key/tumbler and put screwdriver in ignition cylinder it cranks right up. I ordered a lock cylinder today- Mercedes part- and will be here Monday. I will then change out the pins and put old in new cylinder while keeping my old key since there is no problem with the key. We'll see. You guys have been extremely helpful and I appreciate all the time you have put in trying to assist me. Very grateful.
When you get the new part in, would you mind posting photos of the new tumbler next to the old? If this ends up solving the issue someone smarter than I may be able to identify where the old part failed and we'll have the issue logged in the forum for the next poor soul with this problem.

Good to have photos of failed parts, always something to be learned from it.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:22 PM

I read this with interest, and just the last few posts my light bulb started flickering a little brighter. You said you could use a flat headed screwdriver in the ignition and it worked, my question, what is on the tumbler assembly that is supposed to 'interface' with the ignition assembly, that looks or acts like that screwdriver blade? I don't have (and never did) an ignition assembly apart in my hand, but if the screwdriver blade works then some sort of interface must either be missing, or not being inserted deep enough to interlock. Or, am I just burning out my light bulb again?

Old 02-03-2017, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I read this with interest, and just the last few posts my light bulb started flickering a little brighter. You said you could use a flat headed screwdriver in the ignition and it worked, my question, what is on the tumbler assembly that is supposed to 'interface' with the ignition assembly, that looks or acts like that screwdriver blade? I don't have (and never did) an ignition assembly apart in my hand, but if the screwdriver blade works then some sort of interface must either be missing, or not being inserted deep enough to interlock. Or, am I just burning out my light bulb again?

I asked this question in post #34 and got no reply, today I started to expand on it but gave up. It is simple, either the connection is damaged or the lock does not turn the same number of degrees as the switch can. This should be quite obvious but the feedback is somewhat lacking.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:33 AM

I asked this question in post #34 and got no reply, today I started to expand on it but gave up. It is simple, either the connection is damaged or the lock does not turn the same number of degrees as the switch can. This should be quite obvious but the feedback is somewhat lacking.

Totally agree. To coin a popular movie phrase 'What we have he'aah, is a failure to communicate'. I see it going one direction but then it ends flat out. It just seems a bridge to effective communication is lacking some. Is something preventing the assembly from completely seating? Maybe someone close can hook up with the OP and put a different set of eyeballs on it?

Old 02-04-2017, 12:32 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

I just can't imagine what is going on here.

Sure is an interesting read, tho. I hope he comes back and tells us what it all was about.