TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Battery Alarm???

Old 04-09-2017, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Battery Alarm???

I was replacing my battery today. +ve first and -ve second. When the -ve made contact there was what seem to be an alarm sound from the engine compartment. If I start the car will the alarm stop. Or is this an other problem????? The battery is disconnected now as I am afraid to move on. I do not want to fry a critical electrical component. Please help, anyone. Ian

Old 04-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Re: Battery Alarm???

Originally Posted by ianggillespie
I was replacing my battery today. +ve first and -ve second. When the -ve made contact there was what seem to be an alarm sound from the engine compartment. If I start the car will the alarm stop. Or is this an other problem????? The battery is disconnected now as I am afraid to move on. I do not want to fry a critical electrical component. Please help, anyone. Ian

Basic procedure for removing battery in a NEG ground vehicle is to remove the NEG cable FIRST then the POS cable second. Reversal during install (POS first, NEG last). Now that this is said, the alarm WILL sound if the POS cable is removed first. So, the car is working correctly and you need to catch up to the car. There are quite a few posts about the car alarm going off when the POS cable is removed first. If someone has a condition with their car where the alarm didn't go off when they incorrectly removed the POS first, there is something wrong with their installed alarm system (OEM system). IF your car is still sounding the alarm after installing the POS cable first, then the NEG cable, then use the key to start the car and see if it resets. If you cannot get it reset, I cannot help you. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2017, 12:44 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Battery Alarm???

Originally Posted by ianggillespie
If the car starts and the alarm stops I would say that is OK. But if you stop the engine and the alarm sounds again you have a problem.
From what you say though all is fine.