TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Maintenance schedule

Old 08-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Maintenance schedule

But now it says 6,600 with 2 wrenches?
IF a car sits for lets say a year on the dealer lot should the oil be changed right away?

Old 08-05-2006, 07:50 PM

That means that in 6,600 miles you will have to perform Service B which includes all of Service A. Plus the replacement of the cabin air filtering system, wiper blade check, brakes and ball joint check, brake pad check, alignment check, lubing of all lube parts and hinges, etc. You can see this all in the service manual what they cover under Service B.

And yes if a car has been sitting at a lot for 1 year without use the oil, it should be changed because first off the computer will probably tell you anyways that it needs it.

Also you might ask as to why you would need Service B if the car is new with very low miles, well again FSS is a life monitor that determines what services are needed. And since Service B includes lubing of parts and check and replacement of fluids it not only calculates it by miles but also by time that the car has been sitting so if the car is new with 100 miles on the odometer but it has been sitting at the dealer for 1 year and a half it'll probably want service B due to the time those fluids have been sitting in the car without use.

Last edited by BullFrog; 08-05-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rob M
no service specifically required at 10k. the fss system will alert you when it is time for service with either 1 or 2 wrench icons. you won't void your manufacturer's warranty if you don't go in for service every three months. what service did you have at 9k? an oil change? read the service schedule in your owner's manual to get familiar with what is supposed to be done at each interval. chances are the technician may not have reset the fss counter when you made your last visit.

below are the steps (summarized from the maintenance manual) that you can use to reset the counter yourself.

1. turn the key to the on/run position.
2. within 1 second press the **** to the left of the display twice.
3. present status for days remaining or distance traveled is displayed. within 10 seconds turn key to off.
4. press and hold **** on left side of display while turning key to on/run again. present status is displayed once more. continue to hold button. after approx. 10 seconds a tone sounds and the display shows 6,000 miles for approx. 10 seconds.
5. release the ****.
So far I've trusted the dealer to do what's supposed to be done. I'll check out the service schedule and make sure. Thanks for the reset procedure!

Old 11-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Angry Re: Maintenance schedule

How do I get rid of the wrench repair reminders? I had the local mechanic service my car not the dealer and I just can't figure out how to delete those damn wrenches.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

~ here you go...
Originally Posted by bobs
So sayeth the service manual:

DESCRIPTION - FLEXIBLE SERVICE SYSTEM (FSS)
The Flexible Service System (FSS) is a demand-activated engine oil service system. The FSS will illuminate a symbol (2) in the instrument cluster to indicate to the driver when a particular service is due. After a level has dropped below a warning threshold, the remaining distance or the remaining time and the tool symbol (2) are displayed in the panel of the odometer. The FSS is supplied the time intervals from the digital clock in the instrument cluster. The remaining information is supplied by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and the Controller Antilock Brake (CAB) via the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus.

The data required for FSS from the CAN includes the following:
² The four wheel speed sensors from the CAB.
² Coolant temperature from the PCM.
² Engine speed from the PCM.
² Load torque from the PCM.

MAIN ODOMETER
This shows the total distance the vehicle has traveled. The FSS permits a flexible service schedule that is directly related to the operating conditions of the vehicle. There are two symbols which will appear in the main odometer display field prior to the next suggested service.

This symbol represents Service A. (Picture of one wrench)

The second symbol represents Service B. (Picture of two wrenches)

Depending on operating conditions throughout the year, the next service is calculated and displayed next to the this symbol in days remaining before the next service is required. The next service may be calculated and displayed next to this symbol as distance remaining before the next service is
required.

The counter can also be reset by any individual after the indicated service has been performed. To do so:
1. Turn the key to the ON/RUN position.
2. Within one second press the ****/button to the left of the display twice.
3. The present status for days remaining or distance traveled is displayed. Within ten seconds turn the key to OFF.
4. Press and hold the ****/button to the left of the display, while turning the key to ON/RUN again. The present status for days remaining or distance traveled is displayed once more. Continue to hold the ****/button to the left of the display. After approximately ten seconds, a tone sounds and the display shows 6,000 miles (10,000 km) for approximately ten seconds.
5. Release the ****/button to the left of the display.

If the FSS counter was inadvertently reset, the counter must be reset.
The message is displayed for approximately ten seconds when turning the key to the ON/RUN position, or while driving when reaching the service warning threshold. It can be cancelled manually by pressing the ****/button to the left of the display. Once the suggested term has passed, the message, plus either the symbol for Service A or the symbol for Service B preceded by a “–” (minus symbol) blinks for approximately thirty seconds and a tone sounds every time when turning the key to the ON/RUN position. The FSS display can also be called up for approximately ten seconds with the display illuminated by pressing the ****/button to the left of the display twice within one second.
Note: When disconnecting the battery for one or more days at a time, such days will not be counted. Any such days not counted by the FSS can be added. The interval between services is determined by the type of vehicle operation. Driving at extreme speeds, and cold starts combined with short distance driving in which the engine does not reach normal operating temperature, reduce the interval between services.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:22 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is my first car where I use synthetic oil. I know the intervals for changing the oil is 7K miles, but do any of you know the time interval if you're not driving the car a lot? Should it be 6 month?

Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 PM

I've created a Microsoft Excel 2003 spreadsheet showing the Maintenance A&B Schedules for each 7000 interval with checkmarks to note completions. It also has some comments, etc. as to how I do these things myself.

If someone has a web site to post it for downloading I'll be glad to email it to him. Or, send me an email request and I'll email it to you as an attachment for your personal use and/or modifications.

Jim Thompson