TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Maintenance schedule

Old 02-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance schedule

I thought at one point a detailed schedule was posted. It gave specifics on each part of the "A" and "B" schedule. I've done the searches and can't find it. Was it here or that "other" site?

Old 02-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Maintenance schedule

It was on this forum. I think what you are looking for is here and here.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:40 PM

I appreciate the info, but I should have been more specific. It might have been written by a Chrysler tech. He detailed what types of lubricant to use for each specific use, that kind of thing. Very detailed. Not just the general overview in the manual.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Forum Regular

I don't remember seeing anything like that posted here, but if you find it again please share. It sounds like it would be very informative...

Old 02-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Maintenance schedule

Yes...please share.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Forum Regular

Easy solution... look in your owners manual, it lists all service items in detail as well as fluids etc.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:46 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my question for those in the know...

When I bought it in early October, 2005 my XF had apparently been on the lot for a while and had about 250 miles on it when I took delivery. The FSS system showed -56 (days) at that time, and has been adding onto that number daily.

Recently, I received a couple of letters from the dealership I bought it from saying that I need to bring my car in for the 3,000 mile servicing as mandated by the warranty service schedule. Coincidentally, I just recently passed the 3K mark.

Considering I live in warm and cozy South Florida, that I drive the car typically less than 20 miles per day, and that I am a conservative driver, I wonder when I really do need to bring my baby in for its first servicing and oil change. The manual says 7,000 miles but the dealership seems to want me now.

Incidentally, I don't intend to go to the service dept of the place I bought it. The Chrysler dealer closer to my home appears to have a much more professional looking service area. They just don't know how to make a good deal on a car.

So, when should I bring her in, and does going to a different dealership make a difference?

Old 02-10-2006, 06:36 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by midnightman
Recently, I received a couple of letters from the dealership I bought it from saying that I need to bring my car in for the 3,000 mile servicing as mandated by the warranty service schedule. Coincidentally, I just recently passed the 3K mark.
That letter you got was automatically generated by the computer system at the dealership because it (they) don't know any better. The Crossfire does not have set oil change intervals. That's what the FSS is for! And speaking of FSS, if yours was showing -56 when you bought it you should have asked them to change the oil in it before you took delivery because it was 56 days overdue. But that's water under the bridge now. Take the car to your preferred dealer and get the oil changed ASAP and ignore those letters you get from the old dealer.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Forum Regular

gotcha beat... mines is flashing -156 at this point... it sat a looooong time before i got it. hehe ... i got the oil for it today and am going to pickup the filter tomorrow ... poor baby is suffering.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:58 AM

I agree with BOBS, ignore the letters and get your oil changed and oil change intervals are at every 7,000 miles or when the FSS indicates that service is needed.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:33 PM

I just assumed the -xx was wrong when i bought my car so i reset it. heh. it's been 3.5k mile and it's going okay. I should probably take it for an oil change this weekend.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:49 AM

I don't remember any Chrysler tech ever being specific about any service on the XFire. If you need specifics on Service A & B, I posted a while back what the differences are. The oil is 0/40 Mobil 1 Synthetic. The oil filter is that of the SLK 320 other than that service B just adds the replacement of the in cabin pollen filter replacement and just checking of everything else like alignment, brake pads, ball joints, tires, belt, wiper blade check but not replacement for that they charge (something you can do yourself) and the lubing, (again something you can do at home) of the door, trunk and rear wing hinge mechanisms. That's pretty much it. If you need more specifics please advise there isn't much that is required unless you detect something really out of the norm that needs further looking into, at which point i would advise you taking in to service.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Forum Regular

Beyond the expense of replacing wiper blades, oil, and filters, etc, is there supposed to be a fee for scheduled maintenance A and B? I ask because I was not charged for anything other than the oil change when I brought my car in the first time. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be free or if the extremely harried service rep just forgot to add it to the bill.

BTW, the service rep said that here in south Florida, they don't ever do "A" servicings. It's always a "B" because of tropical conditions. Does that sound about right?

Old 05-14-2006, 05:52 PM

Service A is just an oil change. Whoever told you that about not doing service A at all because of conditions of climate is full of S*** pardon the expression. I can't believe all the BS that these Chrysler Service guys are giving customers over this car. Go to a Mercedes-Benz dealer and ask them if they don't do service A in south florida because of the climate and they'll laugh you off the lot.

No, there is no special fee for service A or B its just the cost of replacing what's replaced or checked at either of those services (i.e. wiper blades, oil change and filter replacements, labor) nothing more.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Forum Regular

I'm a bit late in finding this thread but I'll still present my warning.

If you drive the car short distances regularly (work close to home, whatever) then you should change the oil more frequently than those of us who drive 30 minutes or more to work.
When the engine is run and then shut off and allowed to cool, condensation forms inside the crank case. This is an unstoppable act of physics at work, especially in humid (read: most of Florida) climates. Cold starts also allow a little fuel to sneak past the piston rings. The condensation and fuel end up in the oil.
When you don't get the engine up to full operating temperature and keep it there for a reasonable amount of time, the condensation and fuel don't have time to heat up and evaporate. Shorter oil change intervals are required to keep the oil fresh and free of the ickies.
Driving the car for longer periods of time will help the bad stuff evaporate and be drawn out through the crank case evacuation system (modern PCV valve stuff).

Day to day driving with short hops and rush hour traffic are some of the hardest things you can do to a car. They're much happier when let loose on the freeways in open country.

Old 06-23-2006, 04:07 PM

I agree, The FSS system monitors that exact explanation and sets the intervals accordingly (based on ambient conditions and time and driving characteristics).

Old 08-04-2006, 02:21 PM

Hi. I've had my car for a year now, and am approaching 10,000 miles, and am getting a wrench icon with the number of miles left to 10,000. The dealership has sent me the same letter mentioned in this thread, threatening me that I'll void my warranty if I don't bring the car in every 3 months. Thus far I've made appointments to change the oil at every 3,000 miles which has stretched now to over a month from when they tell me the deadline is.

First question, is there service I need done at 10k that's not been done at 9k? Second question, if not can I reset the maintenance message myself?

I do plan to eventually let the car tell me when it needs service, but at the moment I have oil change coupons that have an expiration date on them.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ssscott75074
Hi. I've had my car for a year now, and am approaching 10,000 miles, and am getting a wrench icon with the number of miles left to 10,000. The dealership has sent me the same letter mentioned in this thread, threatening me that I'll void my warranty if I don't bring the car in every 3 months. Thus far I've made appointments to change the oil at every 3,000 miles which has stretched now to over a month from when they tell me the deadline is.

First question, is there service I need done at 10k that's not been done at 9k? Second question, if not can I reset the maintenance message myself?

I do plan to eventually let the car tell me when it needs service, but at the moment I have oil change coupons that have an expiration date on them.
no service specifically required at 10k. the fss system will alert you when it is time for service with either 1 or 2 wrench icons. you won't void your manufacturer's warranty if you don't go in for service every three months. what service did you have at 9k? an oil change? read the service schedule in your owner's manual to get familiar with what is supposed to be done at each interval. chances are the technician may not have reset the fss counter when you made your last visit.

below are the steps (summarized from the maintenance manual) that you can use to reset the counter yourself.

1. turn the key to the on/run position.
2. within 1 second press the **** to the left of the display twice.
3. present status for days remaining or distance traveled is displayed. within 10 seconds turn key to off.
4. press and hold **** on left side of display while turning key to on/run again. present status is displayed once more. continue to hold button. after approx. 10 seconds a tone sounds and the display shows 6,000 miles for approx. 10 seconds.
5. release the ****.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:32 PM

My FSS said 177 when I bought it then it went to miles, is this normal?

Or maybe it said -177? I didn't reset it?

Old 08-05-2006, 06:43 PM

More than likely -177 which means you are 177 days past due for service.

Quick Reply: Maintenance schedule