TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Programming key.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming key.

Does anyone know how to program a new key?

Old 02-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Programming key.

Yes.

If I remember correctly you start the car, lock and unlock the doors and that's that.

Norrie.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by filbercf
Does anyone know how to program a new key?
That requires a trip to the dealer unless you happen to have a DRB-III scanner. You have to order the keys through a dealership anyway so it's no big deal to have the key programmed to the car when it comes in.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Thumbs up Re: Programming key.

Use the key unlock the car start it the key was preprogrammed from the factory, (there is an issue with the panic button sticking and draining the battery all you have to do is replace the red button and replace the battery if that is the problem). But the key is programmed all you have to do is get the receiver to recognize it and the rest is history.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Forum Regular

Hey... If There Is A Way... 4 Us 2 Do It ...my Dealer Has No Clue!!

I Bought The Xf With One Key.
Had To Wait 4 Days 4 Chrysler To Send Me One As The Dealer Said They Cant Even Program It!

That Chrysler Is The Only One That Can... We Can Buy A Blank Key... But The Programming Is Done By Chrysler...

Old 02-27-2006, 03:01 PM

Wow thanks everyone for responding to my question. I will let you guys know what works.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Forum Regular

You definitely don't have to go to the dealer.
Yes you must order the key thought the dealer but once you have it you can program it yourself.
I only got one key with my car when I bought it so the dealer ordered another one up and posted it to me.
I then mentioned on here I was going to the dealer to get the key re-programmed and someone told me to do this and it worked no probs.
Again my dealer had no clue you could do this yourself and no doubt would have charged me for the job as the car was bought from another dealer.
I also found out on here that you can program the car to open both doors and boot lid with one press of the key fob rather than the two when I got the car.

It just shows you what a great place this is.

Norrie.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:47 PM

Well if anybody's wondering the darn key cost $197 to be exact. I knew it was it was expensive but wow! It should be here in 3 to 4 days...oh ya programming cost $80 extra! Lol. I would of felt like a tool if I paid that.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Programming key.

I have seen our keys on Ebay that have sold for as little as $50.00.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:37 AM

I had to get a replacement key, when it came in from Texas, it was already programmed. The dealership didn't know that it came that way. For a grand total of over $200. it should be good to go.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:55 AM

BTW, the car will not be affected by dead key as posted prior. The post indicated a dead key fob would prevent starting.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Thumbs up Re: Programming key.

Originally Posted by xfire1
Hey... If There Is A Way... 4 Us 2 Do It ...my Dealer Has No Clue!!

I Bought The Xf With One Key.
Had To Wait 4 Days 4 Chrysler To Send Me One As The Dealer Said They Cant Even Program It!

That Chrysler Is The Only One That Can... We Can Buy A Blank Key... But The Programming Is Done By Chrysler...
The crossfire key is a laser cut key when you get it from us it is cut and programmed I'm located in OKC at Crossroad Chrysler. Call or drop by and we will see what we can do. I will also need to see proof of ownership your name and the vin number matching the vehicle.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:06 PM

I finally got my key in yesterday!... All I did was unlock the door with the key, then put the key in the ignition and fired right up. Guess no need to program.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Crossfire-tech
The crossfire key is a laser cut key when you get it from us it is cut and programmed I'm located in OKC at Crossroad Chrysler. Call or drop by and we will see what we can do. I will also need to see proof of ownership your name and the vin number matching the vehicle.
I need a second key as well. How much should that cost? Can you do it for me as well?

Old 08-16-2006, 09:54 AM

To get a second key first of all did the old one just quit working replace battery and order the red button they stick and run the battery down.
If you lost it you had better block that key in the computer. If you never had one, call your dealer with vin and they can order it for you. You may have to fax a copy of your registration. They have them mail it to you. This may save a trip to the dealer.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:06 PM

Was this price through a dealer's internet parts counter? They usually are 20% less on the cost and saves you the two trips to the dealer. From another thread I understand the key has to come from dealer because it is matched to your car by using VIN. Therefore an Ebay new blank won't work. Maybe a locksmith can do same as dealer but cheaper - I'll find out.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Programming key.

This is straight from the Crossfire manuals supplied to the dealership, or if you are a Chrysler tech, I got it from Tech Connect.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING

The Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter(s) can be programmed by the customer without special tools.
PROGRAMMING PROCEDURE

Transmitter programming by the customer is done by performing the following steps:
  1. Insert the key into the ignition switch.
  2. Press either the lock or unlock button momentarily twice.
Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds.

Copied from this thread this thread.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ey+programming

Old 10-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Forum Regular

I ordered an extra key from Chrysler Dealer a while ago in San Francisco, CA. Cost around $65. Chrysler actually order the key from MB. It comes pre-programmed and pre-cut directly from MB (of coz they need the VIN#). Just press lock or unlock button twice, and insert and turn the key to on/run within 30 seconds, and there you go.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:02 PM

Just got my second key as the one i got was beat to hell. Cost me $50 and the dealership had no idea how to program it.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:05 PM

Does anyone know if a regular hardware or key-cutting facility can cut to match a new Crossfire key blank?

Quick Reply: Programming key.