TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Autostick Transmission vibration at low speeds

Old 10-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Autostick Transmission vibration at low speeds

Originally Posted by onehundred80
They may lead you by the nose into the showroom and sit you down with a friendly salesman, sell you a car, fix your old one for a thou and you both come out happy.
You with a new 300 and glad to the last of that Crossfire that was getting awfully expensive to maintain. They will be glad they made a lot of money by selling two cars to a sucker.

Get it fixed somewhere else, fitting a used tranny in it if required.
I agree with 180 on them trying to get you to trade it in. We don't know your circumstances, but if you can get it to a private MB trained mechanic, there are a few auto trannys available from totaled cars. Might take a little time, but that's the wise way to go. Hopefully you have alternate transportation. where are you located? Might have some knowledgeable members near you .....
another idea is, if they offer you very low $$ on trade (say $2 to $3000) contact Rcompart (Rudy) he is looking to a Crossfire in this shape to drop a V8 into it. Good Luck

Last edited by IBLUBYU; 10-11-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:26 PM

Excuse me for my ignorance, are the valve bodies and torque converter all in the trans/part of? If I was to fit it with a new trans would the issue be solved? If thats what the issue really is?

Old 10-11-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by IBLUBYU
I agree with 180 on them trying to get you to trade it in. We don't know your circumstances, but if you can get it to a private MB trained mechanic, there are a few auto trannys available from totaled cars. Might take a little time, but that's the wise way to go. Hopefully you have alternate transportation. where are you located? Might have some knowledgeable members near you .....
I just moved back to Denver from SoCal. Near downtown Denver.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 818.crossfire
Excuse me for my ignorance, are the valve bodies and torque converter all in the trans/part of? If I was to fit it with a new trans would the issue be solved? If thats what the issue really is?
Yes ...............and great people in Denver....

Old 10-11-2011, 04:38 PM

Alright then. My car is beautiful, I have done quite a bit of work including a full swap of interior from a totaled xf in california (i posted it on this forum about a year ago). I have kept it in great shape and really dont want it sitting around. I wil start agressively sourcing parts/trans.

I am also waiting to see what the tech says at the dealership. Here is the email I sent them, it was all info I got off this thread:

TO LUIS AT CHRYSLER:

THERE ARE 4 DIFFERENT PARTS OF THIS EMAIL, THEY ARE ALL SEPERATED WITH LINES. Let me know what you guys think.

Finally, finally my XF's problem has been correctly identified... by THIRD dealer... over 2 months... of not knowing and here it is:

TCM 5140514-AA tranny module

apparently my XF is 1 of three to have this problem... the paperwork i got from XFTECH here at this forum (thanks)and a MBTECH at another forum... assisted to provide the third dealer the correct course of action.

Not all of the XF's down time was due to dealer neglect, i had gone on a 5 week holiday... placing the XF up on blocks until i got back.

Now the tranny is smooth and shifts crisply...

funny thing is... with no XF it was bittersweet to view this forum...

anyway... i hope none of you goes thru my grim scenario.

thanks for all the info XFF.org!

mjanowich bring this with you as it helped the dealer that repaired my XF, i got it from a MBtech on a MB forum as it is happening with the slk320:

Here is what i got from a MB technician on our AUTOMATIC trans...

MB calls the vibration DRONING... and with this info i will go back to the dealership...

DTB
Date:
March 23, 2006
Order No.:
P-B-27.60/43b
Supersedes:
P-B-27.60/43a dated May 3, 2005

Group:
Revision History
Revision
Date
Purpose

3/23/06
Step 1 Updated/Noted Added Following Step 1

5/3/05

Damage Code Updated
-
1/10/05
Initial issue

SUBJECT:
Model 170.466
Model 203.040/065/740
Model 211.065/070/076/082/083/265/282/283
Model 215.374
Model 220.174
Model 230.474/476
Equipped with 722.6 Automatic Transmission
Torque Converter Clutch Rough Engagement and/or Droning/Buzzing

If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles that during acceleration and/or constant drive there is a noticeable jerk, possibly followed by a droning/buzzing, adapt the torque converter clutch as per the below procedure. This may be caused by a lack of/or inadequate adaptation of the torque converter clutch. This particularly applies in cases where there is less than 6,000 miles accrued on the torque converter or transmission control unit.
1. Read engine coolant temperature out with Star Diagnosis [Cars �� Vehicle Type �� control units �� ME �� Actual Values �� Test engine at idle speed].

Note: Before starting the procedure, the engine coolant temperature must be below 20° C / 68° F.
2. Start the engine (cold start, over-night), select “D“ with the shifter and hold the vehicle at idle speed for 20 seconds by depressing the brake pedal.

This bulletin has been created and maintained in accordance with MBUSA-SLP S423QH001, Document and Data Control, and MBUSA-SLP S424HH001, Control of Quality Records. © 2006 Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC. All rights reserved. Reproduction or translation in whole Mercedes-Benz Canada, Inc. or in part is not permitted without authorization from the Dealer Workshop Services publisher. Printed in U.S.A. Mercedes-Benz Luxury Cars: Explore, Build & Compare Sedans, SUVs, Coupes, Wagons <Mercedes-Benz Luxury Cars: Explore, Build & Compare Sedans, SUVs, Coupes, Wagons> 1-800-FOR-MERCedes www.startekinfo.com <http://www.startekinfo.com/>

3. Start driving the vehicle between 30-40 mph on level ground using the cruise control. With SDS, observe the engine coolant temperature until the engine coolant temperature has risen approx. 10° C / 18° F.

Warning! Hazardous procedure for one technician alone.
4. Stop driving and hold the vehicle in “D” at idle speed for 20 seconds by depressing the brake pedal.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with each engine coolant temperature increase of about 10° C / 18° F until the operating temperature levels out.
6. After reaching a transmission oil temperature of 80° C / 176° F, continue driving between 30-40 mph, on level ground for 10 minutes cumulatively using the cruise control to maintain consistent engine load.

Note: The following allowable labor operations should be used when submitting a warranty claim for this repair.
In Case of Warranty
Operation:
Automatic transmission electronic shift adaptation, perform (27-1046)
Damage Code
Operation Number
Time (hrs.)
Model Indicator (s)
27284 45
27 1046
1.0 hrs.
G4, M9, N5, P3, Q1, Q3, R2, R3, T1, T2, T3, T4, T5, U1, U3, U4

P-B-27.60/43b (March 23, 2006) 2

AND THIS: from our own beloved XFF.ORG member... crossfire-tech:

Re: The last straw. - 01-20-2006 , 01:36 PM

Case Number K95898508
Vehicle Issue Customer Complains Of A Vibration / Shudder When Transmission Makes 1-2 Shift.
Year 2005 , 2004
Model ZH - Crossfire
Engine 3.2L V6 SOHC 18V
Automatic Transmission/Transaxle Model NAG1 (5spd Automatic - RWD - Electronic Shift - TCM)
Category Customer Concern (No DTCs)
System or Component Automatic Transmission/Transaxle
Symptom Shudder, Vibration
Driver Input / Vehicle Operation Acceleration , Steady Speed
Transmission Gear or Shift Involved 1-2 Upshift
Case Verification Technician can duplicate concern even when shifter is manually shifted into 1st gear.
If the ABS module is unplugged, the problem goes away. May have codes set in the ABS for LT and RT front speed sensors. Technician tries another ABS module and problem still exists. The technician can duplicate a similar feel in vehicle when he taps on the yaw sensor.
Technician has verified that the ESP (electronic stability program) is activating and applying the rear brakes causing the shudder/vibration.
Recommendation Replace the transmission control module.
Comments There have been 2 known cases of this same issue where a transmission controller fixed the vehicle.
Modification Date 9/30/04 9:10 AM

so when i became (officially) number three in chrysler's database to have this repair done...the tranny module had some sort of short in it... rendering it useless in deciding what gear to place the car in... they took all the info above and solved the problem swiftly!!!
Also is it possible you can put the current TCM into learning mode? Would that maybe help with this issue?

Old 10-13-2011, 01:11 PM

After doing some seaching around PROJEEP came back with a mercedes rebuilt trans installed for $5300. Walker transmission in wheatridge came back with an approx estimate of $3-4000 (depending if more damage inside) and will warranty it for 2yr/24k

Opinions?

Old 10-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Unhappy Re: Autostick Transmission vibration at low speeds

So, I bought a XFire about 2 months ago (2004, 43,000 miles) and I am having this problem with the trans. Does anybody knows for sure if the recommendation in this forum is the way to fix the problem? Please let me know. I dont want to be scammed by a dealer trying to charge me a lot for something that can be fixed for a few bucks...

Last edited by antho88; 10-29-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:57 AM

Just wanted to check in and see if this problem was ever solved? I seem to have it too...

Old 12-03-2015, 11:36 PM

I've been having it to, it looks like it might truly be something with these cars that comes with age. I replaced my fluid and I noticed it doesn't vibrate as often as it used to. I'm going to change the fluid soon with the higher priced royal purple and hope all is good.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:08 AM

Bob,
Here's what i posted in another tread, but I tihnk it'd probably the valve body
Here's my current list of possible solutions, ranked in no particular order
1) TCM, $100, used

2) Valve body:
New sleeve kit, $66,

Sonnax 68942 05K Overlap Control Valve Sleeve Kit Fits 722 6 Mercedes Benz Trans | eBay

Master Overlap Valve Sleeve Kit - 68942-05K - Sonnax

Rebuilt valve body. $399

722.6 OEM Valve Body

3) Modify valve body , negligible cost, seems to be very successful Sprinter modification for RSN, Rumble strip noise, which I'd describe my transmission problem as

https://dieselrepairblog.wordpress.c...on-rsn-repair/

My friend that sold me the car said the problem started out very slowly and then got worse, so I suspect the valve body has leaks, that have continued to allow more and more fluid to bypass, also this seems to be a very well documented problem with the 722.6...

Please keep the forum posted if any of these repairs are tested

Old 01-07-2016, 12:31 AM

I finally got the Crossfire fixed. I took it to a Mercedes mechanic. He reset the adaptive settings and it works perfectly