TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Autostick Transmission vibration at low speeds

Old 03-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Autostick Transmission vibration at low speeds

Anyone else have this happen to them:
When cruising around 30-35 mph, in Auto, sometimes when I press very slightly on the gas pedal, the whole car will start to vibrate like I'm driving over rumble strips. The pitch of the vibration will increase as I give it more gas until it goes away, somewhere around 2,500 - 3,000 rpm. This never happens at higher speeds. It seems to happen more when I'm in slow traffic, I break lightly and then give it a little gas. I've got an appointment set up for Monday morning. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Autostick Transmission vibration at low speeds

Nope. Haven't noticed that with mine. It only has 4k miles though. How many do you have?
Make sure you come back with what they say. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:54 PM

Yes. Both of my crossfires have done this an '04 and '05. It feels like the transmission is going from one gear to another and back. I have noticed that if you manually shift the auto stick it does not do this.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:19 PM
raulito11

I have the same issue and here is what they have to say...chyrsler stated that it comes from the engagement of the torque converter/lockout solenoid which makes the trans shift into a higher gears...I've discussed this before on a previous thread, not too many have encountered the same problem...DC/ service dept. is saying that it is a characteristic of car and I shouldn't worry about it. Let me know what your service dept. has to say...very curious. I'm not letting my issue end with the service dept. waiting to hear back from service manager and then the taking up with the area service manager.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:00 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses. I've got 12,500 miles on the car. Raul, I read all the posts in your "vibrations" thread and it made me feel a bit better about the issue. Your symptoms are EXACTLY the same as mine. I'll print out all the relevant posts and take them with me to the dealer and see if they agree with the diagnosis. I'm tempted to just cancel the appointment, but I want to see if they come up with some other reason. I guess the car just doesn't like poking along at 30 mph!

Old 03-13-2006, 12:53 PM

I just got back from the dealership. The could not reproduce the vibration during their test drive and there were no codes in my computer. I told the service guy what had been posted here about lockup shudder and he was in agreement that there is nothing they can really do about it. After the mechanic took it for a drive and found no codes, the service manager took it for a drive as well. So, at this point, I guess there's nothing for me to do unless it gets worse. On the bright side, there was no charge. I also asked about the cost of the new oil filters and I got quoted something like $21.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mjanowich
When cruising around 30-35 mph, in Auto, sometimes when I press very slightly on the gas pedal, the whole car will start to vibrate like I'm driving over rumble strips. The pitch of the vibration will increase as I give it more gas until it goes away, somewhere around 2,500 - 3,000 rpm. This never happens at higher speeds. It seems to happen more when I'm in slow traffic, I break lightly and then give it a little gas. I've got an appointment set up for Monday morning. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago.
when engaging with these gear sequences ...1-2 4-5 5-4 2-1 ok... took the XF out for 3 hours... from the beginning of the ride, i start to get at 1,500 rpm in 1st gear (AUTOMATIC) i get a flutter as if its coming from where the driveshaft meets up with the rear... after 2-3 seconds, the mysterious rumble strips pop up... like ghosts!

i begin to FEATHER the accelerator pedal, giving the engine more rpms... and for another moment or two the vibration gets deeper. once the tach reads 2,000 grand, its gone. When descending in rpms it returns when i approach 1,600 rpm...

tomorrow i have an appointment with the dealership...

thanks for the link!

j

Old 04-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by raulito11
I have the same issue and here is what they have to say...chyrsler stated that it comes from the engagement of the torque converter/lockout solenoid which makes the trans shift into a higher gears...I've discussed this before on a previous thread, not too many have encountered the same problem...DC/ service dept. is saying that it is a characteristic of car and I shouldn't worry about it. Let me know what your service dept. has to say...very curious. I'm not letting my issue end with the service dept. waiting to hear back from service manager and then the taking up with the area service manager.
has the vibration on yours gotten worse?

Old 04-18-2006, 02:40 PM
raulito11

Please let me know what the dealership tells you...because I pretty much gave up with them when it came to them fixing/finding out the problem...they say it's a characteristic of the car but I think it's a bunch of crock...good luck.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:10 PM

Update to my situation:

My vibration has all but disappeared. It continued for about a week after taking it to the dealership. Then for no apparent reason, it stopped doing it. There are only 2 things different from then and that is 1) warmer temperatures since March and 2) a new tank of gas. Since it would vibrate even after the car had been driven a while and thus warmed up a bit, the only thing I can think of is there was something different with the gas I was using in the winter. I know it sounds bizarre, but that's all I can think of, unless somehow the transmission happened to break itself in over the past month which got rid of the torque lockup shudder.

Thoughts?

Old 04-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Forum Regular

THANKS FOR THE INFO... WILL POST THIS AFTERNOON ANY CONCLUSIONS THAT CHRYSLER MAY HAVE...

DID ANY OF YOU HIT A SEVERE POT HOLE OR BUMP? BECAUSE THE NIGHT BEFORE... THE PASS REAR WHEEL POPPED MANHOLE COVER...ON 2ND AVE CAUSING THE XF TO JOLT... 1 WHEEL UP ... 3 down!!!

ITS HARD FOR ME TO ACCEPT THAT MY PROBLEM IS FUEL RELATED... HERE IS WHY....

rpm increase:
each time, doesn't matter what gear... i approach the 1,500 rpm mark, the drivetrain faltering starts up... as if the drivetrain is belt driven and at this rpm mark the BELT loosens, flutters... the speed of the car stalls... until i hit the 1,800 rpm mark... then the drivetrain kicks back to normal while the rear wheels take full hold of the road again.

rpm decrease:
as the engine approaches 1,900-1,800 rpm the same symptoms occur.

NEW SYMPTOMS:

IN CONJUNCTION WITH ABOVE... FROM A STANDSTILL AS THE XF IS GEARING TO SHIFT FROM 1ST TO 2ND GEAR, THE ENGINE BUCKS ... IT SEEMS THE TRANNY IS CAUSING THIS... LIKE IT IS mad SHIFTING BEFORE IT DECIDES TO SHIFT... SO IN OTHER WORDS IT FEELS AS IF THE TRANNY SHIFTED INTO SECOND FOR A SPLIT SECOND THEN BACK TO 2ND AT THE PROPER RPM.

MY TACTICS:

IF I AM ABOUT TO STOP, I TIME THE DISTANCE, DROP THE XF IN NEUTRAL, AVOIDING THE ENGINE/TRANNY TO GO THRU THE 2,000 RPM-1,000 RPM CYCLE... THEN BRAKE. HOWEVER ONCE BACK IN DRIVE, THE BUCKING STARTS... LOOKING FOR A GEAR?!?!

I ALSO NOTICED WHEN PUSHING THE AUTO THRU THE GEARS AS OPPOSED TO LEAVING IN DRIVE, THE ABOVE SYMPTOMS OCCUR LESS.

THIS MAY SOUND CRAZY... BUT THERE IS SEQUENCE TO RESET XF COMPUTERS PARAMETERS FOR THROTTLE BODY THAT HDDP HAD POSTED A WHILE BACK... I AM GOING TO TRY THAT...DOESN'T HURT...
raulITO...WAS THE DEALERSHIP ABLE TO RECREATE SYMPTOMS?

Last edited by xfire1; 04-19-2006 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Autostick Transmission vibration at low speeds

I use to own a 1997 Sebring JXi, and never used the "autostick" feature for the 5 years that I owned the car. One day I decided to use it and after that I would have the same problem you are describing, and was told that it was a characteristic of the autostick feature. After awhile the problem would go away. Use the autostick again and the problem returned, I have yet to use the autostick feature on my FX.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:30 AM
Forum Regular

LTD... should it be the autostick, i wouldn't be surprised as i use the heck out of it...

A. if it is the torq conv solenoid and or malfunctioning sensors... that in turn is triggering the rear brakes then i will feel my brake pedal FLUTTER... I don't...

B. should it be the (BAD) fuel then at each of the engine's power band should the irregular engine rhythm occur... it doesn't.

well folks i went to chrysler yesterday without an appointment, they were able to look at my problem until they realized that the XF tech was out sick!!! (this happened to me once before).

anyway the service manager was eager to take the XF out for a test ride... the best that i got out from him was a "HMMMMMM?!?!?!" that's it!

the XF tech is due in on FRIDAY so i was told to take it back then... no appt needed.

i will go back to mercedes benz dealer and try there. i wonder somehow/they would honor chryslers warrantee on this slk/xf.

As far as my XF symptoms, they are still there but like you folks said... it has lessened not as bad as the other day...
j

Old 04-20-2006, 12:54 PM
raulito11

Dealership was able to duplicate and stated that there is nothing that they can do about fixing it...a characteristic of the car.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by xfire1
i will go back to mercedes benz dealer and try there. i wonder somehow/they would honor chryslers warrantee on this slk/xf.
No I emailed Chrysler roughly two months ago and ask that exact question... Chrysler emailed me back and informed me that MB would not do warranty work on a Crossfire; all repairs have got to be done by Chrysler if it is a warranty repair. I got the email if you would like for me to look it up for you XFire1... just not sure what I did with it after reading it... I'm sure you understand what I was thinking after reading Chrysler's reply. hooah

Old 04-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FirebaseD
No I emailed Chrysler roughly two months ago and ask that exact question... Chrysler emailed me back and informed me that MB would not do warranty work on a Crossfire; all repairs have got to be done by Chrysler if it is a warranty repair. I got the email if you would like for me to look it up for you XFire1... just not sure what I did with it after reading it... I'm sure you understand what I was thinking after reading Chrysler's reply. hooah
thanks FirebaseD... don't worry about it if u do come across it...

also was your email sent to chrysler or MB? i am dealing with MB... not that it matters as i am sure it will lead to the same results as your findings... but you know, once the XF is officially "canned" from the chrysler line-up, perhaps then we have a better chance of the crossfire cross-over to MB for warranty and service... who knows!?!?

j

Old 05-01-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by mjanowich
the major problems with these trans is you don't have a stick to check fluid level. the trans need to be checked while monitoring the fluid temp. we have had several leaks at the front rt near the wiring connector. then they either get low on fluid or over filled the crossfire or nag trans takes a different type of fluid and i'd expands at a different rate than others. you also need to keep it from foaming up may be caused from overfilling.
if it has been run low on fluid it cause burn clutches in the torque converter of gear clutches.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Crossfire-tech
the major problems with these trans is you don't have a stick to check fluid level. the trans need to be checked while monitoring the fluid temp. we have had several leaks at the front rt near the wiring connector. then they either get low on fluid or over filled the crossfire or nag trans takes a different type of fluid and i'd expands at a different rate than others. you also need to keep it from foaming up may be caused from overfilling.
if it has been run low on fluid it cause burn clutches in the torque converter of gear clutches.
...would 1/2 pint of ATF 4 be considered over-fill as i am desperate to try anything...

and already too weary of the dealership(s) round here...

thanks

josh

Old 05-01-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by xfire1
...would 1/2 pint of ATF 4 be considered over-fill as i am desperate to try anything...

and already too weary of the dealership(s) round here...

thanks

josh
1/2 pint cold could expand to 1 1/2 qts when hot.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Crossfire-tech
1/2 pint cold could expand to 1 1/2 qts when hot.
thanks XFtech.

j

Quick Reply: Autostick Transmission vibration at low speeds