U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem

My 04 roadster has developed an intermittent problem. When it's been unused for a few days it won't start. Everything works fine, but when you turn the key nothing happens, all warning lights come on as they should just the starter doesn't activate. Leave the car for a while and come back to it, it starts fine. This has happened twice now over the last couple of months. I took it to a garage the first time and they so called put it on diagnostic test and told me the battery could do with replacing, which I did, but obviously that's not the problem. Any ideas

Old 05-31-2015, 01:33 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: Starting problem

Classic RCM symptoms.
See this thread.

>>>> https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...n-t-start.html

Old 06-02-2015, 03:26 AM

Great, thanks for the help. I will try and check but I need to know what a RCM is. Thanks

Old 06-02-2015, 04:58 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by foxy1305
Great, thanks for the help. I will try and check but I need to know what a RCM is. Thanks

Click on Video RCM below in my signature.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by foxy1305
My 04 roadster has developed an intermittent problem. When it's been unused for a few days it won't start. Everything works fine, but when you turn the key nothing happens, all warning lights come on as they should just the starter doesn't activate. Leave the car for a while and come back to it, it starts fine. This has happened twice now over the last couple of months. I took it to a garage the first time and they so called put it on diagnostic test and told me the battery could do with replacing, which I did, but obviously that's not the problem. Any ideas
Hi All
New Crossfire Owner here. We were blessed by a friend who was going to give away his beloved Crossfire with only 80K when we needed a car. My wife and I had a blast driving it home from Seattle. Soon after being home, it would not start as described in the 2010 post. Dash lights, fob all work. Does not engage starter. At the mechanic it was discovered that it did start in neutral, but not in park after it warms up. Mechanic said it was the park sensor which is buried in the transmission. We said we are ok starting it in neutral to save the $1500 on that procedure. But now it also does not start in neutral. After scouring this forum, I do not see anything about a park sensor. I am going to point my mechanic to the RCM. Any other thoughts or agreements out there?
Thanks
DsCrossfire

Old 10-08-2019, 10:38 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

The next time the car won't engage the starter, just let the key relax back to the "on" position, wait 30 seconds.
Does the engine fan warp up to high speed (you WILL hear it)?

If so, it is 99.9% likely it's the RCM. In that case, yank the RCM (no tools needed, it unplugs) and send it to D.J.; he posted above and is still active on the forum.

If the fan does not spin up, well, we have more homework to do.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:23 PM

Thank you for the response. Yes, I hear something spin for about 5 or more seconds when the key is turned. I also hear buzz coming from the rear engine compartment near the fuse box where the RCM is. And also a high pitched hum as well while the key is on. I have actually Googled how to solder the RCM connections. I am considering trying that myself.
Thanks
Dscrossfire

Old 11-11-2019, 01:30 PM
Default ñ„ð¸ð»ñŒñ‚ñ€ ð¿ñ€ðµñññ‹ ð´ð»ñ ð¾ð±ðµð·ð²ð¾ð¶ð¸ð²ð°ð½ð¸ñ ð¾ñð°ð´ðºð°

У Ð½Ð°Ñ Ð¸Ð¼ÐµÐµÑ‚ÑÑ Ðº продаже МЕШÐЛКИ, Ð*езервуары — отÑтойники, Промышленные ÑмеÑители, Мешочные фильтры, Смотровые колодцы, Ð¢Ð¾Ð½ÑƒÑ‰Ð°Ñ Ð·Ð°Ð³Ñ€ÑƒÐ·ÐºÐ°, ОчиÑтка ливневых Ñточных вод: жироуловители, пеÑкоотделители, маÑлобензотделители, Ñорбционные фильтры, комбинированные пеÑко-нефтеудалители (Ñ Ñорбционным блоком и без), ОДЪЕМÐЫЕ УСТÐ*ОЙСТВРИ МЕТÐЛЛОКОÐСТÐ*УКЦИИ Шнеки из конÑтрукционной и нержавеющей Ñтали, ВОДООЧИСТÐОЕ ОБОÐ*УДОВÐÐИЕ Ðефтеотделители (отÑтойники), ПОДЪЕМÐЫЕ УСТÐ*ОЙСТВРИ МЕТÐЛЛОКОÐСТÐ*УКЦИИ Промышленные металлоконÑтрукции, ОЧИСТКРЛИВÐЕВЫХ СТОЧÐЫХ ВОД КПР(комбинированный пеÑко-нефтеуловитель), ÐÐСОСÐОЕ И КОМПÐ*ЕССОÐ*ÐОЕ ОБОÐ*УДОВÐÐИЕ (ГрунфоÑ, КСБ, Вило, КИТ, Взлёт, ТВП) Ð*отационно-поршневые наÑоÑÑ‹, ВОДОПОДГОТОВКУ Угольный Ñорбент, а также вÑе Ð´Ð»Ñ Ð°Ð²Ñ‚Ð¾Ð¼Ð¾Ð¹ÐºÐ¸ СиÑтема очиÑтки воды Ð´Ð»Ñ Ð°Ð²Ñ‚Ð¾Ð¼Ð¾ÐµÐº.

У Ð½Ð°Ñ Ð²Ñ‹ найдете ОчиÑтка Ñтоков ЛОС, а также ПеÑкоуловители, мы можем произвеÑти ОбуÑтройÑтво Ñкважин под ключ. Бурение неглубоких Ñкважин, Оценка запаÑов подземных вод, Монтаж водоÑнабжениÑ.

У Ð½Ð°Ñ Ð¾Ð±Ñлуживает Ñкважины, производит ВодоÑнабжение чаÑтного дома.

цех механичеÑкого Ð¾Ð±ÐµÐ·Ð²Ð¾Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ð°Ð½Ð¸Ñ Ð¾Ñадка обезвоживание оÑадков Ñточных вод

Old 11-24-2019, 11:36 AM

Hey All. I wanted to post a shout out and big thanks to DJ for fixing my botched RCM repair. The XF brings my wife joy!

Old 11-24-2019, 12:24 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

The XF brings my wife joy!
And you don't ?
You might need to work on that

Old 12-29-2019, 05:21 PM
BVS
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so this looks to be the correct thread for my problem, but...I just want to make sure I haven't done something else stupid. I originally bought the car (srt6 roadster) for my wife in 2009 (I think). I gave it to my mom and her husband when we moved to Wyoming (had no garage). Got it back about 1.5 years ago. It had been sitting for over 5 years and had about 32K miles. Bought a new battery, spun the motor with the fuel rail off. Started fine with one small squeak that went away pretty quick (probably the water pump. Drove it to Maine. Lost the water pump on the way. Bought Mich Sport 4 (love those tires). The battery died over the winter because I didn't put the charger on it often enough (replaced the battery), so this year I put it up on wheels and moved it back in my basement, and disconnected the battery. At thanksgiving I started the engine, ran it for about 10 minutes and turned it off. I put it in neutral so that I could lift the car a bit and turn the wheels (Im trying to nurse my sport 4s). Oh, and in neutral the key would not come out, so I left it in the ignition. At the time I saw no reason to remove it as I was disconnecting the battery. Today I replaced the negative and tried to start the car. It has the classic stuff mentioned above. All the lights come on, the TMPS light goes out. After about 5-10 seconds the fan kicks in, but the engine doesn't crank. I even turned the lights on to see if they dim, nope. So I pulled the RCM and opened it up. It looks beautiful, but I do know how cold solder joints can be deceiving. As I do not do electronics anymore, I don't have an iron, but I don't mind buying one. Is there any chance I did something else stupid with my winter measures. Thanks in Advance. Brian

Old 12-30-2019, 06:25 AM

Engine control relay is not engaging. Could be the bad solder joints or a bad relay. I can fix that!
Email tighed1@hotmail.com for repair details.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:48 PM
BVS
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tighed1- I looked closely at the three solder joints and they looked pretty good. But I also hit them with a Chicago soldering gun. It just didn't have the heat to properly allow the solder to flow. I also shorted out the battery cables to reset the alarm if that was the problem. Whichever it was, it worked and the car started. But, as I know the joints do not look nice and shinny any more, so if I can, I would like to return the RCM to you. I think I read that you also work on the horn on the same module. Can you give shipping and instructions. I sent an email to you hotmail maybe I messed the email up.
Thanks in Advance
Brian

Old 01-01-2020, 11:41 AM

Replied to your email!