West Forum Serving AZ, CA, HI, NV.

Crossfire Rusting???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Crossfire Rusting???

So my wife was getting out of the car, I looked over and saw that the rubber weather stripping was hanging down around of the bottom of the door. I got out to push it back into the channel that holds the rubber but saw that there is rust all along the inside of the channel. Then I looked at the bottom of the door and their is rust there too. The channel on my driver door is clean, but the bottom of the driver door has a couple of bubbles that looks like rust is beginning there. I bought this car in Feb of '05 in central California & it's never left the area. I don't live that close to the ocean; their is no reason that this should happen. Have any of you seen rust?

The following users liked this post:
VBVASmith (12-23-2020)
Old 11-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire Rusting???

Mine is brand new so I haven't had this or wouldn't see anything like this for a while. Perhaps water is leaking in around the window seal and pooling up at the bottom of the door?

Old 11-03-2005, 07:54 PM

Mine is brand-new too; making it all-the-more disconcerting. It's an '04, but it had sat on their lot for a few months.

Old 11-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Forum Regular

It sounds like the drain plugs in the door are clogged. Same thing happened to my mini cooper, should be covered under warrenty.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:33 AM

A co-worker and I purchased Crossfires at the same time. After a year he noticed the weather strip had pulled loss from the passenger's side door. He took the car to a local dealership; they sanded the infected areas on both doors and repainted. Three months later I observed the same, weather strip hanging loose. I took the car to the same dealer, they too pictures and sent the to the Chrysler headquarters in Munich Germany, I reside in Heidelberg. Chrysler will replace both doors and weather stripping under warranty.

Dave

Old 05-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gtwood
So my wife was getting out of the car, I looked over and saw that the rubber weather stripping was hanging down around of the bottom of the door. I got out to push it back into the channel that holds the rubber but saw that there is rust all along the inside of the channel. Then I looked at the bottom of the door and their is rust there too. The channel on my driver door is clean, but the bottom of the driver door has a couple of bubbles that looks like rust is beginning there. I bought this car in Feb of '05 in central California & it's never left the area. I don't live that close to the ocean; their is no reason that this should happen. Have any of you seen rust?
~ see prior post below for full report:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ighlight=por15

Name:  rust.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  24.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4482.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  24.4 KB

Old 05-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Unhappy Re: Crossfire Rusting???

WOW! Yours looks even worse than mine did! Did they in fact give you new doors? My dealer just did a repair, but like I said, yours looks worse. I was concerned w/ them having to repaint the entire car; nothing like the factory paint you know! How did this turn out for you?

I'm glad you replied to me; it's been like 1.5 years; I'm going to pull the rubber away again and see if it's back. If so, it's back to the dealer!

Old 05-11-2007, 02:30 PM

I removed the plastic plugs and shot Waxoyl/rustkiller into the bottom of both doors. It will never rust. If you have no Waxoyl you can use Loctite product "Extend". Allow to dry then shoot paint in...again, no rust ever...

Gary

Old 05-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Administrator

my treatment of the rust... shown below...

i think my process & product choice will work great as an end result. i am keeping the repair area concealed beneath the rubber trim.

product used: por15

here are pics of my repair:

used metal ready (applied with a hobby brush) to treat/clean the metal & rusted area:
Name:  IMG_4550.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  46.4 KB

used blue painters tape to mask & keep the area treated confined under existing rubber strip:
Name:  IMG_4568.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  32.5 KB

applied 2 coats of por15 (with hobby brush) to the rust and seam area for protection & elimination of existing rust:
Name:  IMG_4575.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4573.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  29.2 KB

con't...

Old 05-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Administrator

removed tape after allowing product to dry over night (also treated drip holes... front & rear):
Name:  IMG_4583.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  36.3 KB

weather strip re-adhered & showing final results (as factory):
Name:  IMG_4643.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  29.1 KB

~ see product link: http://www.por15.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1404/.f

Old 12-19-2019, 01:47 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

and now, the proof of the pudding:
i asked Andrew recently how the fix is now and his reply was this;

09-16-2019, 07:07 PM

andrew
Administrator
Default Re: rust proofingQuote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez
can you tell how the rust proofing worked so far? https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...e-rusting.html
thanks
~ it worked great!

so now we know that it works after all these years.

Old 07-31-2020, 03:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, here it is Aug of 2020 and if you havent looked under the door for rust, i suggest you do so....I just purchased this 2004 and was giving it a good cleaning...For some reason i was on my back and saw peeling paint and rust under the door...I was upset and went online to purchase some bondo and Por 15...I received the products and was hesitant to start the job....I was assuming the rust came from the window channels and was laying in the bottom and rusting thru...I took a steel wire wheel and attached it to my drill...I was expecting to grind it down and expose a hole...There were a few rust spots and luckily they didn't rust down, but rust up....Apparently the water did not enter from the window but was present from rain while driving....The car spent 11 years in Washington State....The weatherstrip was great, it just lays in the channel and peels off and on....My rust was by far worst than anything on this thread...Part of the weatherstrip channel was rusted out after sanding....Got most of the rust off without much trouble...Put 2 coats of Por 15 on...The weatherstrip had some rust residue but i used WD 40 to clean it up....Snapped it back in the channel....Since the car is now in the Desert i dont expect it to see much rain, the only water here is sprinklers and car wash....I tackled the passenger door first because it looked the worst....I did not need the bondo, thankfully...The Por15 is suppose to encapsulate any rust from forming...Check your doors, boys and girls....