Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Brake Pad Sensors came on...

Old 05-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brake Pad Sensors came on...

I want to order my brake pads from buybrakes.com is it okay to continue driving with the light going on when pressing down on the brakes.

Or when the light comes on, do i have to change the pads RIGHT AWAY?

Old 05-10-2007, 02:30 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Brake Pad Sensors came on....

Originally Posted by Dodgerpro
I want to order my brake pads from buybrakes.com is it okay to continue driving with the light going on when pressing down on the brakes.

Or when the light comes on, do i have to change the pads RIGHT AWAY?
The sensors will notify you when the pads wear down near the attachment plate. This is normally within a few mm before they are completely worn and you start destroying your rotors and lose your brakes... I wouldn't be driving much longer than a few weeks after the sensor light illuminates.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:46 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the right brake pads for the Coupe? I didn't see the Crossfire listed at buybrakes.com.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:08 AM

If you are going to order OEM pads online go to: http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com

Old 05-10-2007, 03:56 AM
Forum Regular

I was actually looking at the Rotex Gold line.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Brake Pad Sensors came on...

the part numbers (rotex gold) for the crossfire are listed below (base/limited):

front - d9740d / 7730-d853m

rear - d9779d / 7657-d779m

Old 05-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered a set of front Rotex Gold from: http://www.brakeworld.com. Around $139 for the SRT6 set (coupe is around $85).

Old 05-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SK1NNER
I just ordered a set of front Rotex Gold from: http://www.brakeworld.com. Around $139 for the SRT6 set (coupe is around $85).
How did you get it at that price? I just went to the website and it says $145 for the set. $85 for the front, $60 for the rear. This is for the coupe.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I said "set", I meant for the fronts. The rear Rotex Golds for the SRT6 are another $68 / $60 for non SRT6. Of course there's S&H too.

The reason I'm going with them is that I am so sick of dealing with brake dust for the last 10 years with my '95 Chrysler LHS, and now the Crossfire. Supposedly the Rotex don't give off the dust.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:32 AM

Sorry to interrupt... Since you're interested in brake pads that are better than the OEM, I recommend: http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/. I use the race compound, but they also make them for street use.

R4-S High Performance Street and Autocross
For high performance and heavy-duty street conditions. Perfect for prolonged everyday street use while also being capable of tolerating the most severe street use without any fade. Rotor friendly of course. The R4-S friction level will give you an impressive increase in stopping ability with very minimum pedal effort. R4-S compound has the absolute lowest noise and dust levels, far below OEM equipment or any other high performance brake material. Good for autocrossing, some drivers' schools, and rallies. The R4-S compound is available for virtually any vehicle sold in the US. We also offer the R4-S in pad sizes for competition type calipers that are used under street driven conditions.

Here is a list of all pads, including part numbers and prices: http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/cg...field/pads.cgi

Old 05-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Forum Regular

Deleted Message

Last edited by AMGLover; 08-31-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:06 PM

Since i need to brake pads, does that mean i need new rotors? I'm still driving the car, and the rotex gold pads i ordered should be coming in by next week. I should be OK driving the car until i get the pads right? I bought the pads from: www.BUYBRAKES.com

Thanks Guys

Old 05-11-2007, 11:51 PM
RPM

Since i need to brake pads, does that mean i need new rotors? I'm still driving the car, and the rotex gold pads i ordered should be coming in by next week. I should be OK driving the car until i get the pads right? I bought the pads from: www.BUYBRAKES.com

Thanks Guys
No, you should not need new rotors at this time. Not sure what the avg lifespan of rotors are - but they can last quite a long time - unless they get warped, etc.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:39 AM

My car only has 25k miles, isn't it kinda early for new brake pads?

Does the fact that i drive me car like i stole it, every single day, have any factor.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:36 AM
RPM

My car only has 25k miles, isn't it kinda early for new brake pads?

Does the fact that i drive me car like i stole it, every single day, have any factor.
25k miles is not too early. My '97 Prelude needed brake pads pretty often too.
Driving it like you stole it - can definitely be a factor.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:18 PM

The brake light can also mean low brake fluid. If the pads aren't worn out, add an ounce or two of brake fluid.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:56 PM

I just finished changing out the pads and rotors on my xfire and the brake pad wear indicator is staying illuminated. I noticed when i took the old sensor out of the old pads, they had markings, but being the replacement pads didn't have any replacement sensor attachments in the box. I moved the old snap-on sensors to the new pads thinking it shouldn't be an issue if they are designed to take a little wear. I am wondering if there is a procedure to reset the computer or do I actually need to replace the sensor all together?

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2007, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by ghost21
I just finished changing out the pads and rotors on my xfire and the brake pad wear indicator is staying illuminated. I noticed when i took the old sensor out of the old pads, they had markings, but being the replacement pads didn't have any replacement sensor attachments in the box. I moved the old snap-on sensors to the new pads thinking it shouldn't be an issue if they are designed to take a little wear. I am wondering if there is a procedure to reset the computer or do I actually need to replace the sensor all together?

Thanks!
The sensor should not have any of the plastic tip worn-off exposing the underlying wire... Otherwise it will trigger the light...

Old 07-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

Order your brake pads from www.brakeworld.com and get the Rotex Gold Kevlar pads. I just put them on my car and they are excellent. High performance , and virtually NO BRAKE DUST on your wheels. I would not use any other pad !!! Many others here in the forum have installed them and this is where I got the info on this product.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by HDDP
The sensor should not have any of the plastic tip worn-off exposing the underlying wire... Otherwise it will trigger the light...
It had some exposed. So I'm assuming I need to replace it. Any idea what they cost?

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Sensors came on...