Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Front brakes

Old 05-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brakes

For those that have put the Rotex Gold pads on the front, are there any special tools I need to buy to remove the front calipers. I have metric & standard sockets & torx bit sockets. Just want to know before I break it down, I hate running to buy something once I get started.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Front brakes

Big hammer.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: Front brakes

Band-Aids, and exam gloves to keep the hands clean. You know the kind the rectum checker uses... (Snap) LOL.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Front brakes

Originally Posted by snowtop57
For those that have put the Rotex Gold pads on the front, are there any special tools I need to buy to remove the front calipers. I have metric & standard sockets & torx bit sockets. Just want to know before I break it down, I hate running to buy something once I get started.
ROTEX BRAKE PAD INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Tools Required:

flathead screw driver
needle nose pliers
3/8 ratchet w/ extension
7 mm allen wrench
7 mm allen socket
17 mm socket w/ extension (for easy of removing lug bolts)
floor jack
torque wrench

Steps to follow:

1.) Use a floor jack and tools to loose lug nuts. (suggestion: use electrical tape around exterior lug wrench bore for added protection from scratches to your rims)

2.) Use a floor jack to lift vehicle so the tire is 2" off the ground.

3.) Remove loosened lug nuts with 17 mm socket and extension. (use electrical tape on this socket as well)

3.) Use flat screw driver to push piston clip to compressed position. Place screw driver in the back side of caliper between rotor and inboard pad. Twist screw driver against pad and rotor to move piston.

4.) Remove front caliper clip with screw driver or pliers.

5.) Remove sensors gently by pulling on sensor to unplug.

6.) Remove black plastic caps on backside of caliper.

7.) Use 7 mm allen socket and/or 7 mm allen wrench to remove both long allen bolts.

8.) Remove caliper from rotor (do not allow caliper to hang by brake lines). Set caliper on top of rotor, securely.

9.) Remove factory brake pads. Install inbound "Rotex" pad into caliper (no clip is used for piston). Install outboard pad onto rotor bracket housing.

10.) Side caliper over rotor. Secure caliper by inserting caliper allen bolts into the rear of caliper. Make sure bolts are in place correctly. Then tighten 7 mm allen bolts firmly. (*Note: Caliper will seem semi-loose, but this is normal).

11.) Reinstall sensor wire.

12.) Reinstall plastic caps on backside of caliper.

13.) Reinstall front caliper clip.

14.) Reinstall wheel and tire. Hand tighten lug nuts with 17mm socket. The tighten securely with lug wrench. Lower vehicle with floor jack and retighten lug nuts when vehicle is on the pavement. Torque lugs to 81 ft lbs.

15.) Start car and apply brake pedal repeatedly until pressure has built up. Drive as normal.

ROTEX BRAKE PAD INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS: (rears)

Tools Required:

small hammer
small punch
flathead screw driver
17 mm socket w/ extension (for easy of removing lug bolts)
floor jack
torque wrench
anti squeal lube
brake grease
rubber gloves

Steps to follow:

Before you start add "anti squeal lube" to the backside of the new pads... allow to dry overnight.

1.) Use a floor jack and tools to loose lug nuts. (suggestion: use electrical tape around exterior lug wrench bore for added protection from scratches to your rims)

2.) Use a floor jack to lift vehicle so the tire is 2" off the ground.

3.) Remove loosened lug nuts with 17 mm socket and extension. (use electrical tape on this socket as well).

4.) Use flat screw driver to compress caliper piston. Place screw driver in the back side of caliper between rotor and inboard pad. Twist screw driver against pad and rotor to move piston back.

5.) Remove sensor gently by pulling on sensor to unplug.

6.) Remove pin at rear of the caliper (will require a small punch and hammer) to tap out pin. Remove to 2 silver brackets that hold pads in place.

7.) Remove/slide out the factory brake pads from the rear of the caliper. (No need to remove calipers). Add brake grease to backside of new inboard pad where it makes contact with the pistion and any other contact points. Then install "Rotex" pads into caliper.

8.) Reinstall brackets and tap pin back in place to secure pads.

9.) Reinstall sensor wire.

Once car is on the ground... start the car and pump the brake slowly until pressure is built up... drive as normal.

~ Also this is a great time to clean and wax the inside of the rims... and don't forget to take the time to scrub inside those wheel wells.