Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Need Some After Market Wheel Info

Old 08-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Need Some After Market Wheel Info

I think I've about talked myself in to getting some chrome wheels, but I need to pick a few brains from some of you guy's that are running them. I'm looking at two different sets, one is a Stern ST-8 Hyper Mesh 2 that does not come with lug bolts and the other is a Stern ST-7 that does come with the lug bolts. I like the 8's and I can get a better deal on them, but I don't like the little rivets (dirt catchers). The 7's have a little less spoke thing going on, but they have a wider lip witch I do like and don't have the little rivets.
1. Is anybody running a 18X8.5 on front? (Wheel Guy Say's They Will Work).
2. What is the correct lug bolt size & where's the best place to get them?
3. Has anybody just bought the chrome lug bolt covers like on E-bay?
4. Was anybody able to use the OEM - TSP sensor's in their aftermarket wheels?
Thanks in advance for anyone's advice.

Last edited by Steve Hellums; 08-01-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need Some After Market Wheel Info

I'm Running A 19x8.5 In Front And A 20x10 In The Rear. I Needed A Rear 25mm Spacer To Compensate For The Extra Width. I Get A Totally Insignificant Friendly Rub On The Inner Rub Panel When The Wheel Is Totally Cut One Way Or The Other. The Bolt Pattern Is 5x112, You Should Take Extra Care On Checking The Depth Of The New Lugs. Because If They Are Too Long You Will Get A Clicking Noise As Many Aftermarket Wheel Users Have Experienced. SORRY I DON'T KNOW THE THREAD MEASUREMENTS Hope That Helps You Out Some!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by nascarhq
I'm Running A 19x8.5 In Front And A 20x10 In The Rear. I Needed A Rear 25mm Spacer To Compensate For The Extra Width. I Get A Totally Insignificant Friendly Rub On The Inner Rub Panel When The Wheel Is Totally Cut One Way Or The Other. The Bolt Pattern Is 5x112, You Should Take Extra Care On Checking The Depth Of The New Lugs. Because If They Are Too Long You Will Get A Clicking Noise As Many Aftermarket Wheel Users Have Experienced. SORRY I DON'T KNOW THE THREAD MEASUREMENTS Hope That Helps You Out Some!
Thanks for the input, the 18X8.5 was one of my main worries. I had read a post were someone had trouble with the tire or wheel hitting the end of the upper control arm ball joint stud.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve,

I had read a post were someone had trouble with the tire or wheel hitting the end of the upper control arm ball joint stud.
This generally occurs when using a wider than stock tire. Whether it's on a stock rim or aftermarket rim that is wider.

I have 18x8.5 rims on the front and have no rub at all on stock tires. I am planning on checking some wider options next week (if I get time). I'm really hoping to put at least 245/35R18s on the front... but many have said they will rub that upper ball joint bolt and nut. When I checked the existing clearance, I can see why. There is less than a half inch between my existing tread and the bolt now. If I go wider by an inch that clearance will disappear... and then there is the whole wheel/tire/suspension flex while cornering hard...

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by nascarhq
I'm Running A 19x8.5 In Front And A 20x10 In The Rear. I Needed A Rear 25mm Spacer To Compensate For The Extra Width. quote]
I noticed in your gallery that your wheels have the little bolts around the wheel where the spokes meet the outer part of the rim. Do they accumulate a lot of brake dust or road grime. I do have Rotex Gold brake pads, but I still get a little brake dust on my OEM wheels. I'm probably going to order the wheels today if I can make a choice between the two wheels, I can get the one's with the little dirt collectors $140 cheaper.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Forum Regular

if you have the rotex gold you should be aok! since installing mine the car needs washing before the wheels do.those pads are really an awesome product.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:52 AM

Well I ordered 2 18X8.5 & 2 19X9.5 wheels yesterday, but now I need to get some lug bolts ordered. I could use some advice on the length, I would guess I should get the same as OEM length, (40mm of threads). I'm not using any spacers, so any suggestions from anyone? I know the best thing to do is wait till I get the wheels and get the measurements that way, but that would mean I would have to wait another week or so before I could get the wheels put on. Here is a couple pic's, I bought the Stern's, the one's with the MB center caps were not available in 18 inch.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wheel2.jpg (90.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg
wheel1.jpg (425.7 KB, 86 views)
Old 08-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Steve,

I have 18x8.5 rims on the front and have no rub at all on stock tires. I am planning on checking some wider options next week (if I get time). I'm really hoping to put at least 245/35R18s on the front... but many have said they will rub that upper ball joint bolt and nut. When I checked the existing clearance, I can see why. There is less than a half inch between my existing tread and the bolt now. If I go wider by an inch that clearance will disappear... and then there is the whole wheel/tire/suspension flex while cornering hard...
I have had both 245/35R18 Hoosier A6's and Kumho V710's on my car on stock width/offset rims without issue.

I wouldn't worry about the flex...the top of the tire is not going to move relative to that bolt.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
Well I ordered 2 18X8.5 & 2 19X9.5 wheels yesterday, but now I need to get some lug bolts ordered. I could use some advice on the length, I would guess I should get the same as OEM length, (40mm of threads). I'm not using any spacers, so any suggestions from anyone? I know the best thing to do is wait till I get the wheels and get the measurements that way, but that would mean I would have to wait another week or so before I could get the wheels put on. Here is a couple pic's, I bought the Stern's, the one's with the MB center caps were not available in 18 inch.
Definitely wait on getting the new lug bolts. Chances are the thickness of the aftermarket wheel at the mounting surface is different from oem (rather dramatically so for my autox wheels).

Measure the amount of exposed lug bolt sticking out the back of the oem wheel. Then stick the same bolt through your new wheel and measure the same. Then you've got the data you need to order the new bolts.

I've ordered a bunch from here and been pleased:
http://www.ezaccessory.com/Lug_Bolts_s/20.htm

Remember, the oem lugs are ball seat, but the aftermarket rims are most likely conical.

Hub centric rings are a good idea too.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by NoCones
Definitely wait on getting the new lug bolts. Chances are the thickness of the aftermarket wheel at the mounting surface is different from oem (rather dramatically so for my autox wheels).

Measure the amount of exposed lug bolt sticking out the back of the oem wheel. Then stick the same bolt through your new wheel and measure the same. Then you've got the data you need to order the new bolts.

I've ordered a bunch from here and been pleased:
http://www.ezaccessory.com/Lug_Bolts_s/20.htm

Remember, the oem lugs are ball seat, but the aftermarket rims are most likely conical.

Hub centric rings are a good idea too.
What is the hub centric rings for? Thanks for posting the ezaccessory site, I think I had been on their site looking at their lug bolts. If I'm not mistaken they have an E-bay store too. I guess I had better wait to see if the wheels require the ball seat or a conical before I get the lug bolts. Since the wheels were for MB applications I was assuming they would require the ball seat.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
What is the hub centric rings for? Thanks for posting the ezaccessory site, I think I had been on their site looking at their lug bolts. If I'm not mistaken they have an E-bay store too. I guess I had better wait to see if the wheels require the ball seat or a conical before I get the lug bolts. Since the wheels were for MB applications I was assuming they would require the ball seat.
The hole in the middle of your aftermarket wheel is going to be bigger than that of the oem wheel. The ring basically fills in the gap that would be there due to that difference...the ring has an inner diameter equal to the hub that the wheel mounts on and an outer diameter equal to the hole in the aftermarket wheel. Hopefully whoever sold you the wheels will include some...that's fairly common...if they don't, you can get some from a place like discount tire or tirerack.

While the wheels are MB lug pattern, I bet they're conical seat.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

...and hub centric rings are ESSENTIAL to getting the shearing load off of the lug bolts. If you go without them or use spacers with no hub mounting point to anchor the wheel, the entire load of the vehicle on that corner is placed on the lug bolts.

This may be okay for daily driving where you aren't pushing it... but if you get aggressive at all or like to really enjoy cornering in this car... DON'T DO WITHOUT THEM!

Just my 2¢

Old 08-04-2007, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
...and hub centric rings are ESSENTIAL to getting the shearing load off of the lug bolts. If you go without them or use spacers with no hub mounting point to anchor the wheel, the entire load of the vehicle on that corner is placed on the lug bolts.

This may be okay for daily driving where you aren't pushing it... but if you get aggressive at all or like to really enjoy cornering in this car... DON'T DO WITHOUT THEM!

Just my 2¢
Yeah, after NoCones reply I had decided to wait till the wheels are delivered and see what I have to work with. I want to do the job right, one of the reasons I had not already bought wheels yet was I felt the OEM rims were probably designed to take what these little cars will do.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:41 AM

I received 3 of my new wheels Friday & the forth one Saturday and just my luck the one that came Saturday was damaged. They are suppose to ship me another one right away. I went a head and test fitted the wheels on the car and found that the center caps would not fit the front without putting in a 10mm spacer. Has anyone got a solution to this problem without using a spacer? I pulled the dust cover off the front spindle to see if I could beat the end of it in and gain enough to get the cap on, but it looked like that would only gain me about 5mm. I searched the net for center cap extensions but found nothing.