Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Sway bars

Old 08-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sway bars

Ok, I searched the forums, and saw a lot of info, some of it fairly old.

I need stiffer sway (anti-roll) bars for my Limited couple, for some track days and better street handling. I would like to bias it more towards oversteer (it's what I'm used to from rally cars and previous track day cars). Cannot find the H&R bars anymore, best setup looks to be the SLK32 AMG rear bar and the XFire SRT6 front bar. Front looks easy enough, rear looks like a b***h to install!!!

Any comments? Part no and/or cheapest source (non-junkyard) for the AMG rear bar? Anybody want to come to Scottsdale and help me install :-) ???

Tazz

Old 08-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Sway bars

Originally Posted by Tazz

I need stiffer sway (anti-roll) bars for my Limited couple, for some track days and better street handling. I would like to bias it more towards oversteer (it's what I'm used to from rally cars and previous track day cars). Cannot find the H&R bars anymore, best setup looks to be the SLK32 AMG rear bar and the XFire SRT6 front bar. Front looks easy enough, rear looks like a b***h to install!!!

Any comments? Part no and/or cheapest source (non-junkyard) for the AMG rear bar? Anybody want to come to Scottsdale and help me install :-) ???

Tazz
I would suggest that if you want to alter the balance to induce a bit more oversteer that you just stiffen up the rear first. If you stiffen up the front and rear you will may end up with the same overall balance but with less roll. Change one thing at a time and see how it goes.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Sway bars

Originally Posted by Tazz

Tazz
Rear bar is a pain the ****... Like Woody said change one part at a time to see how your handling changes for your driving needs... If you haven't done so already, change your springs and shocks first... You'll notice a huge improvement in the handling of the car...

The OEM set-up has a tendency of plowing (understeer)... If you get a good set of adjustable dampers and stiffer springs you can soften the setting on the fronts and tighten the setting on the rears to get most of the handling characteristics you are looking for, unless you're going to be road racing the thing...