Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

TPM Sensors On Aftermarket Wheels?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question TPM Sensors On Aftermarket Wheels?

I was wondering how many people used their sensor's in their aftermarket wheels? I had to have my sensor's reset because the light had came on right after I had the four wheel alignment done a few weeks ago. I think their alignment equipment must have scrambled my sensor's. Anyway I told the service manager I was putting new wheels on the car and didn't want to run my sensor's and could they go a head and turn the system off. After they reset the sensors the service manager came to me and said his tech told him that he was unable to turn it off. A friend of mine just put new wheels on his car and used his OEM sensor's on them, but he has a steering wheel shake problem. He's going to take the car back to have the balancing rechecked, he has quite a deep dish and don't want to have to run wheel weight's on the outer lip and I wouldn't either. This may be a stupid question, but does anyone think that the sensor's could cause balancing issues on aftermarket wheels?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: TPM Sensors On Aftermarket Wheels?

Well I had a replacement sensor installed in one of my wheels and they said they had to balance the wheels and it's part of the $45 cost in labor.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Life is random...so am I.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ANY weight added to a wheel is going to cause a balance issue!

Actually that holds true for any rotating assembly, driveshafts, crankshafts, etc.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by apkano
ANY weight added to a wheel is going to cause a balance issue!

Actually that holds true for any rotating assembly, driveshafts, crankshafts, etc.
Well I know that, I guess I should rephrase the question. The SRT6 wheel had a place notched out on my friends car where the sensor was. I was wondering if it was just to make room for the sensor or if wheels that are designed for sensors had some weight cut out of them to help with the balancing. I'm trying to decide if I want to run my sensor's in my new wheels or not since my friend has some steering wheel shake. I know it could just be a bad balancing job, but I thought it could also be something to do with the location and the added weight of the sensor's on aftermarket wheels.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:13 AM

I took my car out for a short test drive to see how the new wheels and tire's felt last night. I did not use my sensors in the new wheels, in the first post of this thread I had stated that the dealership told me that they could not turn off the TPM system. But while out with the car the light never did come on, I had started the car several times and moved it around in the drive also. I know it can take some time before everything update's on the car, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping that the service manager told me they couldn't turn it off just to cover his butt.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: TPM Sensors On Aftermarket Wheels?

My Foose Speedster 5 wheels came with adapters for the TPMS, not sure if this was for balancing issues or just for proper fitment.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
I took my car out for a short test drive to see how the new wheels and tire's felt last night. I did not use my sensors in the new wheels, in the first post of this thread I had stated that the dealership told me that they could not turn off the TPM system. But while out with the car the light never did come on, I had started the car several times and moved it around in the drive also. I know it can take some time before everything update's on the car, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping that the service manager told me they couldn't turn it off just to cover his butt.
[EDIT] - I've had the car out for a drive to town and back 3 times now, I guess they did turn it off and the manage was just covering his butt because the TPM light has not came on yet.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:09 PM

To truly test the system you have to be going over 30 MPH. The system does not monitor pressures under that speed to save the batteries!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:14 AM

To truly test the system you have to be going over 30 MPH. The system does not monitor pressures under that speed to save the batteries!
A trip to town and back is about 12 miles from where I live and I drove between 50 & 115 MPH, checking the balancing job on the new wheels.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:27 PM

I was just referring to moving it around the driveway. Then again, I've never seen you move in the driveway!

Old 09-03-2007, 09:56 AM

I was just referring to moving it around the driveway. Then again, I've never seen you move in the driveway!
Put around 70 miles on the car yesterday, still no light. Got in the car this morning to go get some coffee, (only had enough for half a pot) and the light came on before I got out of the drive. It looks like I'll be pulling the instrument cluster to pull a bulb.