Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Bring it on!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bring it on!

OK, I know having lived as long as I have I should know this but I don't. I want to replace my standard SRT rotors with performance ones and paint the calipers. This means removing the calipers completely as Andrew suggested. I've replaced many brakes in my short life but have NEVER had to break open the brake lines before. May I ask how is the best way to bleed the air from the lines so as to not run into the Yugo at the next stop light?

Old 09-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Bring it on!

Originally Posted by Punkin
OK, I know having lived as long as I have I should know this but I don't. I want to replace my standard SRT rotors with performance ones and paint the calipers. This means removing the calipers completely as Andrew suggested. I've replaced many brakes in my short life but have NEVER had to break open the brake lines before. May I ask how is the best way to bleed the air from the lines so as to not run into the Yugo at the next stop light?
Well, since you're going through the trouble of pulling the calipers and rotors, you might as well spend an extra George Washington and replace your lines with braided stainless steel lines from Goodridge...

That being said, just remove the lines and place the detached end pointing to the sky while you work on the parts, this will help prevent air bubbles from working their way up the line... Then use the normal bleed procedure for all hydraulic brake systems...

Old 09-09-2007, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the info. I had considered the lines after reading one of the other threads (maybe SRT SIX) he had replaced all of those items. I've been playing with cars and trucks for 36 years or so but never had to bleed brakes before. It's fun to increase your auto knowledge.

I'm sure I'll continue to ask questions as time goes on.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Punkin
Thanks for the info. I had considered the lines after reading one of the other threads (maybe SRT SIX) he had replaced all of those items. I've been playing with cars and trucks for 36 years or so but never had to bleed brakes before. It's fun to increase your auto knowledge.

I'm sure I'll continue to ask questions as time goes on.
Feel free to ask questions... I don't know all the answers, but I can probably find them...
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...edbrakes.shtml

Old 09-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Goodridge lines is a very good suggestion. You may also want to check with Orem Bros. for the lines. they do work for Goodridge and I have bought from them many times when I was selling big brake kits. For rotors I would use slotted and stay away from drilled. The best rotors are made in Germany, Italy and Japan as in Zimmerman, Brembo, and Mountain. Be careful of the Chinese stuff on Ebay. I would flush the system with ATE Super Blue brake fluid. when you start bleeding the system it will go from gold to green to blue letting you know you have flushed the system. Remember to start with the farthest wheel from the master cylinder and work your way to the closest. If you want to keep those painted calipers looking nice get some low dust pads. EBC Green stuff pads are good for this and a lot of people on this forum use the Rotex Gold.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:37 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

I purchased my SB lines from:
http://www.formymercedes.com/mb_resu...ded+Brakelines.

But there may be cheaper places to buy, but I had my SRT-6 apart and did not want to wait 6 weeks and they delivered the next day so it worked out well.

And since you will need brake fluid - I too suggest: http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...id-p-2465.html (thats a super cheap price for a great product)

I kept my stock rotors (they were new) and had them dimpled, slotted, and black zink coated. Pics in my gallery.

Thanks to HDDP's advice, I made these upgrades when painting my calipers and its worth the extra $$$ to have the best on your XF.

Last edited by BrianBrave; 09-10-2007 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

You can also replace your rotors with something like mine... Disc Italia was the only company that had SRT6 rotors that were already cross drilled and slotted. (Check the link in my signature).

I didn't have to paint my calipers as they were already factory black and were in good condition, but I did replace (flush with new) my brake fluid with racing brake fluid (Motul 600). It's a long job if you are flushing the system, but pretty quick if you are just bleeding the air out from working on the calipers.

Like HDDP said, follow standard procedures for bleeding brakes... nothing fancy.