Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

New Nittos

Old 10-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Nittos

Had incident with a curb that took out my right front wheel, suspension and tire as well as the right rear tire.

I don't want to have half worn tires on one side and new tires on the other. Insurance is paying for two and I will pay for the others. I have not been overly impressed with the treadwear on the PS2s and don't like the idea of no road hazard warranty.

Insurance is paying for the two on the right side. I checked with my local America's Tire Co and they suggested the Nitto Invo as a replacement. Everything I have read said this is an excellent tire and it costs much less than the PS2s. Anybody ave any experience with them?

Nitto Invo
front $164 x 2 = 328
rear $250 x 2 = 500
total $828

Michelin PS2
front $232 x 2 = 464
rear $346 x 2 = 692
total $1,156

The insurance company is allowing me $750 for tires.

How times have changed. In California, the consumer gets to choose where they want their vehicle repaired. The insurance company can only recommend places, they cannot require you to have the work done at a specific place. As a result the two tires were listed at $750 (one front one rear) and that is how much the insurance company will pay me. The adjuster said I can have any tire I want, but they would pay for replacement cost of the exact tire that was on the car at the time of the incident.

They are cutting me a check for the $750 and I think I will get four Nittos for $828, not bad. I am going to get the road hazard 100% replacement as well for about $30 per tire.

I also have rental coverage. Because I have been traveling and didn't need to have a rental sitting in my driveway they are issuing me a check for half the coverage amount ($25 day for 20 days). So far they sent me a check for $125 and if it takes 20 days I will get another $125 check.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:55 PM
RPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Nittos

That is a wild looking tread pattern.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by RPM
That is a wild looking tread pattern.
Agreed! Part of the design to aid grip and run quiet. Looked at all the reviews on line. Nitto had probably the best overall ratings with no one disliking them. Was hoping that someone had experience to share.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have these tires on my car. They are quiet, look good, and have a nice tread pattern, but the conti's held the road better. They have good wear, but I found you need to inflate the fronts to about 37-39 PSI for even tire wear. at 32, I was wearing the outer edge faster. They are great tires if you don't do a lot of "spirited" driving, otherwise, you may be disappointed in the downgrade in grip. Also, check pricing on: www.discounttiredirect.com. I think they have them for less.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by BlackCrossFire6spd
I have these tires on my car. They are quiet, look good, and have a nice tread pattern, but the conti's held the road better. They have good wear, but I found you need to inflate the fronts to about 37-39 PSI for even tire wear. at 32, I was wearing the outer edge faster. They are great tires if you don't do a lot of "spirited" driving, otherwise, you may be disappointed in the downgrade in grip. Also, check pricing on: www.discounttiredirect.com. I think they have them for less.
BlackCrossFire6spd,

Unless the Limited and SRT6 have different pressures, the recommended pressure printed on the door jamb is 36. That might be some of the reason for the outer edge wear. I generally add 1-2 pounds anyway.

Thanks for pointing out Discount Tire Direct. Actually Americas Tire Co and Discount Tire are the same company. I did a quick online comparison and noticed how similar the web pages are. In fact on the Americas Tire page it also lists Discount Tire. Not so with the Discount Tire page.

Yes Discount came up cheaper (I was told it should not).

Fronts were $15 less
Rears were $21 less

Americas Tire has local stores and that is where I went. Wrong for me, but I did not check what was being charged. I have always used Americas Tire and have been very satisfied.

Further checking my invoice I found other errors. The repair facility is mounting and setting my TPS sensors and disposing of the old tires.

Americas Tire charged me $2 each to dispose of the tires they will not touch and they charged $12 each for installation, something else they will not be doing.

All told the difference was $126. I WILL be getting a refund for the difference. Thanks again...

Old 10-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I got the Nittos too. Love them!

Old 10-06-2007, 10:35 AM

After shopping for a couple of months, reading all the reviews and using my own experience. I am also going with the Nittos. I had originally been planning on Goodyear F1s having had good luck with them before. I went into Goodyear to see if they would match Tire-racks or Discounts price on their own (Goodyear) tires. Not only will they not match the price but since the only 255/35/19 F1s they can locate are on the other coast they want to charge me to have them delivered to their store. I must be getting old. I would have thought that if they had to make me wait for tires they should have had in stock, that might be worth a discount. Not an extra charge! Anyway the Nittos look like they will be fun to try. Besides Discount tire seems to want my business while Goodyear seems to want me to just go away. Works for me.

Zorro

Old 10-08-2007, 05:45 PM

Buy the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. They are VERY comparable to the PS2s in just about every way. They look awesome and STICK! I've had them on two other cars and they will go on the SRT-6 when the factory PS2 are done. They cost about the same as the Nittos as well.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Eagle+F1+GS-D3

$185 for the Front

$239 for the Rear.

TIRE RACK has them in stock.

Last edited by NeverEnough; 10-08-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:59 PM

F1s are Not in stock yet.

SHIPPING METHODS.

Select a Warehouse to Ship From.

The following item(s) are not immediately available in the warehouse closest to you.
If you prefer, you can choose to ship your items from a different warehouse.
Item DescriptionQty.Price EachItem Total255/35ZR19 XL Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Blackwall 4$239.00$956.00Alternate Warehouses (choose one)LocationAvailabilityEstimated Shipping Costs IndianaEstimated 11/02/07 $73.18DelawareEstimated 11/02/07 $81.44NevadaEstimated 11/02/07 $45.38LouisianaEstimated 11/02/07 $73.18GeorgiaEstimated 11/02/07 $81.44

Old 10-12-2007, 02:42 PM

The Nitto Invo 255/35/19 are on back order everywhere. Decided to go with 285/30/19. they are about 1 inch wider and with the 30 aspect ratio the speed calibration will be off by .06 MPH at 60. Close enough!

Will post pics when I can.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
the recommended pressure printed on the door jamb is 36.
Ahhh, I am so confused...my door jamb says 32 front 33 rear...are there different numbers posted in the same way that different manuals say different amounts of oil??

Old 10-12-2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by brhertel
Ahhhhh, I am so confused...my door jamb says 32 front 33 rear...are there different numbers posted in the same way that different manuals say different amounts of oil??
The SRT6s are 36 psi in the manual; but the Ltds are 32/33. I've owned both, so I can confirm that the different recommendations are real.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by maxxm
The SRT6s are 36 psi in the manual; but the Ltds are 32/33. I've owned both, so I can confirm that the different recommendations are real.
Thanks for clearing this up.

However, if the tires are the same, I think the pressure should be as well. The lower pressures for the Limited is probably to give a "softer" ride. I would opt for 36 all the way around.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:41 PM

Got the Nitto Invo tires. Standard 225/40/18 in front. But had a hard time finding the 255/35/19 in the rear so we upsized to meatier 285/30/19. These are a little over 1" wider but because I moved to a 30 aspect ratio the sidewalls are almost the same as the originals and my speedo is off by only .06 MPH at 60.

Compared to the PS2s they replaced, they ride MUCH quieter, should last longer (the PS2s were about 70% worn at 12K) and seem to ride a little smoother. The torque on the SRT beastie can still make these steam roller tires chirp off the line and their tread pattern is as unique as the Crossfire itself. One side benefit is that the tires have a protective lip that sticks out slightly from the tire. The PS2s allowed the rim bead to stick out further. This is one of the reasons, that as careful as I have been, those rim edges show a little curb rash. With the Invo tires, the rim bead is slightly recessed and protected.

Sorry the picture isn't sharper, but you can see the rim protection if you look close.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:49 PM

How is the handling? In my experience running a tire that much larger than stock in the rear with stock up front usually throughs the balance completely out of whack. With that much grip in the rear and so much less in the from, I would expect it to push like a snowplow in the turns...

Old 11-06-2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
How is the handling? In my experience running a tire that much larger than stock in the rear with stock up front usually throughs the balance completely out of whack. With that much grip in the rear and so much less in the from, I would expect it to push like a snowplow in the turns...
Haven't had a lot of time with the car due to work and haven't really pushed it. I have read that there seems to be a little more sidewall flex then the PS2s. I need to find a nice open area to try them out.

Will try to do that this Saturday and will let you know.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Forum Regular

I'm getting Nitto Invos all around tomorrow morning.
Then I'll be going to the Tail of the Dragon this weekend.
After all of those turns, I should be able to comment on their performance intelligently.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb
I'm getting Nitto Invos all around tomorrow morning.
Then I'll be going to the Tail of the Dragon this weekend.
After all of those turns, I should be able to comment on their performance intelligently.
Are you doing the 285s in the rear as well?

Old 11-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
Are you doing the 285s in the rear as well?
No, I got the 255/35/19's in the rear.
They are not available locally (in NC), but they were available in AZ & CA.

I just got them mounted yesterday.
Much quieter and smoother that the Continentals.
I'll let you know how the handling compares after I flog them to death on the Tail of the Dragon this weekend.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Forum Regular

I saw the Nitto's yesterday. The photos really don't do them justice. They are cool looking tires. Different and interesting.

Quick Reply: New Nittos