Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Run Flat tires

Old 10-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run Flat tires

Now that the Crossfire has been available for several years and being as though there is no spare tire are there any runflat tires that could be used on the Crossfire?

Old 10-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Run Flat tires

Originally Posted by gdobbins@twcny.rr.com
Now that the Crossfire has been available for several years and being as though there is no spare tire are there any runflat tires that could be used on the Crossfire?
There are a few not in the staggered fitment though, they are expensive and will change the cars ride significantly.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Run Flat tires

I've read where Chrysler engineers tried them on the car and it handled terrible. They are not made for the xfire standard sizes.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Forum Regular

the biggest difference your going to notice with the runflat tire is the STIFFNESS because the sidewall of the tire is so much thicker tougher it has less flex or cushion when hitting bumps or holes or whatever. i'm sure they do have them available in our sizes... check: TIRES.COM
the only real benefit of these tires is the chance you pick up a nail or something your less likely to have a blowout. but you have to be careful because of the thick sidewall you won't be able to tell when you have picked up a nail or screw it won't droop down like a normal tire. you'll have to get routine air checks once a month or so!

Old 10-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Run Flat tires

From the research that I have done the biggest tire size is 18", I have been unable to find any 19" run flats. They do make inserts that can convert tires into run flat tires.

http://www.bulldogdirect.com/TP-wheels.asp

Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 AM

The BMW X4 has the same front wheels as the xfire so I checked with their tyre suppliers as to what I could do to change to run flats. The pretty comprehensive reply is attached, I guess that it is equally applicable in the US.

Dear Mr Lawton

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

We would advise that we are not aware of your Chrysler Crossfire being fitted as OE (Original Equipment) with run flat tyres. We would also recommend that Run Flat tyres require specific Run Flat wheels (Run Flats not to be fitted to standard wheels), as well as a pressure monitoring system for each wheel, with a Dashboard mounted warning display. Therefore, please contact your vehicle main dealer to seek their help and guidance, to determine whether you have or have not got this particular set up on your Chrysler Crossfire.

We certainly have no record of a Run Flat tyre system available for the Chrysler Crossfire.

We have allocated your message the reference number indicated above. If you need to contact us again regarding your message, we would be grateful if you could include the reference number.

Once again thank you for your interest in Michelin.

Yours sincerely
Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company

THIS WAS MAEKED FOR MY USE ONLY, so use in the forum only, please. I am not aware of any OEM run flat set up and so it sounds expensive.
Have a great week end.
Michael