Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

tire sensor new wheels

Old 10-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire sensor new wheels

if i buy a new set of after market wheels but keep the same size tire and wheel so the stock will i have problems with the tire sensor. i have a friend that has an impala w/after market wheels and it always reads check tire pressure. has anyone done this?

Old 10-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Default Re: tire sensor new wheels

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=18016

I believe you will find the info you are looking for here.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:04 AM

Until such time as the sensors can give me a running psi reading in my tires, I will ignore them. I have been driving for lo these many years without a computerized system to tell me a tire's low. That's what my tire gauge is for. When I get different wheels, the dash bulb comes out.

Believe it or not, I even use the dipstick. The in-dash cryptic oil level thingy is a waste and vague at best. Guess I'm just old-fashioned. I'm all for technology, but just because you can computerize something doesn't mean you should.

I'm just thankful we don't have i-drive or some similar computer game control ****.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 62thunderbird
Until such time as the sensors can give me a running psi reading in my tires, I will ignore them. I have been driving for lo these many years without a computerized system to tell me a tire's low. That's what my tire gauge is for. When I get different wheels, the dash bulb comes out.

Believe it or not, I even use the dipstick. The in-dash cryptic oil level thingy is a waste and vague at best. Guess I'm just old-fashioned. I'm all for technology, but just because you can computerize something doesn't mean you should.

I'm just thankful we don't have i-drive or some similar computer game control ****.
I agree with you, I just made a post in the Crossfire section about how long it takes for the computer to update. It may help to remind you that the weather is getting colder and you may need to put more air in your tire's, but that's all the TPM system is good for. But that's just my opinion.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 62thunderbird
Until such time as the sensors can give me a running psi reading in my tires, I will ignore them. I have been driving for so many years without a computerized system to tell me a tire's low.
The technology's been around for quite some time. I think my friend's dad's 2000 C5 had this feature and most newer GM vehicles (with the right options I'm sure) have a running psi reading of all 4 tires, my dad's Avalanche does this and it's a nice feature because he can tell which tire is low as to not waste time when filling it with air if the indicator pops up.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:09 PM

I've avoided TPM like the plague. I hate having digital nanny looking over my shoulder. That being said I plan on buying an SRT and will be getting winter wheels right away. Is there any issue with running without sensors for several months (i.e. will the computer freak out or anything) or will it just display on the dash, because that seems tolerable.

Thanks!