Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Replacing the brakes question

Old 10-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the brakes question

I have the shop manual on how to change the brakes. Do I need to bleed them?

Any good advice?

Besides Rotex Gold, what is a good brand to buy that isn't $100 bucks? I plan on going to Autozone or something like that.

Thanks

Old 10-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Default Re: Replacing the brakes question

Originally Posted by Steenport567
I have the shop manual on how to change the brakes. Do I need to bleed them?

Any good advice?

Besides Rotex Gold, what is a good brand to buy that isn't $100 bucks? I plan on going to Autozone or something like that.

Thanks
There are plenty of How-to's on this forum, simply use the search function, and filter by "brake install" or "Rotex Gold" or etc., you get the idea; Search and you shall find!

If your just changing the pads, I'm not sure where you got $100 price tag, a full set of Rotex Golds for the front end only cost $55 from brakeworld and I'm sure buybrakes has them for about the same price (if not cheaper).

As for bleeding the brakes, if your just replacing the pads you will not need to bleed the brakes (assuming you do not remove the brake line from the caliper assembly). Tip: If your just changing the pads, put a plastic water bucket between the rotor assembly and the inner wheel well, so you can rest the caliper assembly on it while you are prepping the pads with anti-squeal grease and fitting your inner pads.

I'm not a mechanical genius, but it took me longer to clean the inside of my wheels than it took me to change the pads, and if it wasn't for that freaking outside pad spring from hell, it would have taken me less time than that!

Again, you should really search the forums for information on this topic, you will get excellent information and some additional tips that will definitely help you on this quest!

Good Luck!
XFH

Old 10-22-2007, 08:11 AM

Thanks for all of the information.

I am not sure where you saw the Rotex Gold brake pads for $55. They are going for $80 a set on brakeworld.com and they do not have them for our car on buybrakes.com.

Hopefully I can find a set that isn't too expensive and will do the job.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$80 is a good price, what about those quite posi pads, anyone try those?

Old 10-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxwell
$80 is a good price, what about those quite posi pads, anyone try those?
I have the Posi Quiets and they are fantastic! You can get them from Ebay user name Rotorworks for a very good price. They are Ceramic. If you search Ceramic pads on Benzworld.org you will see they all love Ceramic pads over there for their Mercedes. They are absolutely quiet, and no dust. Great stopping power.

Do an Ebay search for Crossfire Ceramic brake pads and they will pop right up $47 I think for the front or all for under $100. these pads have quieting shims on all for pads and are already drilled for the sensors. Ceramic pads are usually very expensive. I believe over time most Crossfire owners will be using these over the Rotex Gold. I cannot think of a single reason I would switch to Rotex gold. I have done multiple high speed stops and have not had any fading problem and they are easy on the Rotors.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:02 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

I am not sure where you saw the Rotex Gold brake pads for $55. They are going for $80 a set on brakeworld.com and they do not have them for our car on buybrakes.com.

They have them at buybrakes.com - you just need to "search" on their website by part number - or just give them a call as they do not list them for the Crossfire but are used by many other Euro cars. I purchased a set for my Limited and a set for my SRT from them. They have the lowest price. Don't forget the code for $10 discount if you decide to buy from them on-line.

All Rotex Gold part numbers are listed on this forum. Some folks change only the front brakes, some front and back.

That's probably why you are seeing the price differences.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:55 AM

Opps... You are correct $85 for the set as listed.

http://www.brakeworld.com/catalog.as...=items&catid=2

I also bought a set for the NEON $55 and this is where the confusion started on my part.

Sorry about the mis-information (no harm intended), and as stated by other members on the forum, cheaper prices and discounts can be found that put Rotex Golds well under the $100 price tag.

Good Luck!

XFH

Old 10-27-2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by XFireHammer
Opps... You are correct $85 for the set as listed.

http://www.brakeworld.com/catalog.as...=items&catid=2

I also bought a set for the NEON $55 and this is where the confusion started on my part.

Sorry about the mis-information (no harm intended), and as stated by other members on the forum, cheaper prices and discounts can be found that put Rotex Golds well under the $100 price tag.

Good Luck!

XFH
You can't beat the Posi Quiet ceramic pads for great quiet dust free performance and they are only $47.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Banned

I got almost seventy thousand miles on my '04 rotex gold brakes and had them check at lease turn-in they still had more than half left.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
I have the Posi Quiets and they are fantastic! You can get them from Ebay user name Rotorworks for a very good price. They are Ceramic. If you search Ceramic pads on Benzworld.org you will see they all love Ceramic pads over there for their Mercedes. They are absolutely quiet, and no dust. Great stopping power.

Do an Ebay search for Crossfire Ceramic brake pads and they will pop right up $47 I think for the front or all for under $100. these pads have quieting shims on all for pads and are already drilled for the sensors. Ceramic pads are usually very expensive. I believe over time most Crossfire owners will be using these over the Rotex Gold. I cannot think of a single reason I would switch to Rotex gold. I have done multiple high speed stops and have not had any fading problem and they are easy on the Rotors.
Hey Lantana...are you happy with the posi quiet ceramic pads? I am strongly considering having a set installed on the front and rear axles of my XFire.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by woodlands1
Hey Lantana...are you happy with the posi quiet ceramic pads? I am strongly considering having a set installed on the front and rear axles of my XFire.
They are fantastic. I did all four.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
You can't beat the Posi Quiet ceramic pads for great quiet dust free performance and they are only $47.
Sure... Sure... Now you tell me this, after I've already installed my Rotex Golds on both of my cars!

Oh well... I'm quite happy with my Rotex Golds, but I'm sure everyone will appreciate the fact there are alternative choices available to them!

Thanks,

XFH

Old 11-07-2007, 05:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ceramic pads may be good. But every time I hear the word "ceramic", I immediately think about something that falls off the Space Shuttle.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Ceramic pads may be good. But every time I hear the word "ceramic", I immediately think about something that falls off the Space Shuttle.
Touche! A bit

Old 11-07-2007, 05:51 AM

If you where in the space shuttle and had to choose to re-enter the earth's atmosphere with with the botom of the shuttle coated in either Rotex Gold or Posi Quiet Ceramic pads, which would you choose? (Assuming Nasa could figure out how to keep them attached)

Ceramic pads have always been very expensive so I was glad to find some that allowed me to do the whole car for the what is cost to do only the fronts with Rotex.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LantanaTX, I think it's ironic that my car's brakes are being replaced as we speak with Rotex Gold (that I purchased several months ago for over $100 for all four). I may have looked into the ceramic pads after reading this thread if I hadn't already purchased the Rotex Gold.
It's like they say, "Timing is everything".

To answer your question about the Space Shuttle, make mine ceramic tiles thank you very much.
And if NASA would just start thinking out side the "box", they would eventually come to the conclusion that "Bird Crap" is the answer to all their tile adhesion problems. Nothing sticks better.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:32 AM

And if NASA would just start thinking out side the "box", they would eventually come to the conclusion that "Bird Crap" is the answer to all their tile adhesion problems. Nothing sticks better.
HAHA I Think JB Weld and Super glue were both developed from bird crap