Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Tires: Good, Bad, Dumb!

Old 10-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Tires: Good, Bad, Dumb!

HI All,
I am new here and only had my new 07 Crossfire Limited Roadster for a couple of weeks (600 miles ago). I have the Continental factory touring tires (run flat). The Good is you all have Crossfires!, The Bad is the 19 tires are hard to find. (Maybe they are available on the web), but in Houston; Tx. I had a hard time today finding one of the 19 inch rear tires. I spent about 5 hours at Discount Tire waiting till I finally got 1 tire from north of town (yes I was south). (It was at another store and had been ordered by another Crossfire owner), luckily he agreed to let me have the tire and they ordered him another one <If it was yours thanks and let me know).
OK the dumb part. I was headed out early to go sailing. I backed out my car and lowered the top, turned up the radio and off I go. I noticed the yellow tire indicator on the dash, but was not sure what it was, I figured the car was warming up and it would go out. The steering wheel is in the way so I did not see it anymore. I drove about 30 miles on the highway and all of a sudden my car started bouncing and I knew I had a flat. Oh, that is what that little light was. (I said I am a new owner, but not new to the world).

Finally when they got the tire off, it had a wooden stake about 5/8 inch round and about 1 1/4 inches long in the middle of the tread. The inner sidewall gave way (run flat tires) and that is what made all the noise.

Oh the dumb part Yes I should have figured out what the light was. AND when I got back home two tread marks were in my driveway from when I backed out that morning. The wooden stake had been in my tire from the night before and I drove 30 miles with no air in the tire (or not much air). I was mad at first that the tire had already gotten a flat, but after I found out how far they went with not air, I was impressed. I am thinking about buying a back up tire to keep at home, has anyone done this? Are you able to find the tires locally where you live in case you have a flat?

Smiles,
George

Old 10-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Tires: Good, Bad, Dumb!

If you have the factory Continental ASP tires (ContiSportContact 2)...they are not run flats. Crossfires never came with run flat tires as an option. Continental does not make a "run flat" tire if I am not mistaken.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:30 AM
Default Re: Tires: Good, Bad, Dumb!

Well I think you are partly right. Here is the tires I have Continental Touring Contact, website does not indicate they are run flat. The dealer told me they were and that was why there is not a spare? Also Discount Tire told me they were run flats. http://www.conti-online.com/generato...master_en.html
The Continental website does mention run flat tires (SSR) so maybe they do make some but not for Crossfire. My car has the tire option P225/40ZR18, P255/35ZR19 ASP Tires $185 whatever that is.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:46 AM
Thumbs up Re: Tires: Good, Bad, Dumb!

I found that my dealer also was dead wrong about the Conti's being run flats...Conti does make a run flat but they are very expensive according to my tire dealer...he quoted me a price but the cost of standard Michelin PS2's was bad enough without going for runflats.
As my OE tires had plugs in them (not good) I went ahead and replaced quickly with the PS2's.
Have fun but heed those dashboard warnings from now on, LOL!

Terry

Old 10-19-2007, 07:04 AM
RPM

Xfires did not come with runflats. Note the tire seal and compressor in the trunk.
Dealers (most) know very little about these cars.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Our dealer said they were run flats too. I was very surprised when I found out differently.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:52 PM

I believe runflats were tested on the Crossfire but the car handled very poorly with them on there, so they were never made available.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Tires: Good, Bad, Dumb!

Originally Posted by 07redroadster
Well I think you are partly right. Here is the tires I have Continental Touring Contact, website does not indicate they are run flat. The dealer told me they were and that was why there is not a spare? Also Discount Tire told me they were run flats. http://www.conti-online.com/generato...master_en.html
The Continental website does mention run flat tires (SSR) so maybe they do make some but not for Crossfire. My car has the tire option P225/40ZR18, P255/35ZR19 ASP Tires $185 whatever that is.
Its a shame that the dealers of our cars for the most part know nothing about them. Well whatever you type of tires you had on the car you were extremely lucky that you did not damage the wheel.