Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

pepboys = lame

Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pepboys = lame

I thought I would mention my pepboys experience today and then others can vent.
After I got my limited lowered, wheels aligned and wheelspacers in (at a performance shop), the car was shaking a tad between 60 and 64 mph. Since my tail light went out and I was going to Pepboys anyway, I thought I would get my wheels balanced there.
After they completed the work, I noticed my car looked wrong. My front wheels were sticking out of the fenders and my back wheels were way inside the fenders. Did they mix up the spacers? Upon further investigation, I realized that they had rotated the tires (brilliant). I should have taken a picture. They put the rear wheels on the front and the front on the rear. Then, the guy argued with me that nothing was wrong. Eventually, they got it straightened out. In other words, I would not recommend Pepboys for anything.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: pepboys = lame

Scooter don't take this the wrong way but I could not help but laugh after reading this post. lol How the **** is the guy going to argue with you thats just too comical I would have been so furious but you have to just look back and realize you almost did it to yourself. That's what happens when let high school drop outs work on your car. I guess its hard to find good help **** half the time the dealers don't know what's going on. You can't help but look back on it as a funny experience you will never forget and you have learned from.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone needs to try this again just for the picture!

Old 11-17-2007, 08:07 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scooter, I'm more concerned about the possibility of damage to your tire or fender due to clearance problems.
Did you notice anything?

Old 11-17-2007, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
Scooter don't take this the wrong way but I could not help but laugh after reading this post. lol How the **** is the guy going to argue with you thats just too comical I would have been so furious but you have to just look back and realize you almost did it to yourself. That's what happens when let high school drop outs work on your car. I guess its hard to find good help **** half the time the dealers don't know what's going on. You can't help but look back on it as a funny experience you will never forget and you have learned from.
Yup, it is damn funny now, but I was REALLY pissed at the time (and yes, pissed at myself, as well). Especially since the guy had the nerve to argue to the point I went to the manager to tell them how obviously stupid they are. And yeah, I'm suprised the thing even turned. The first thing I did is go out there with the manager to check for fender damage. You would think Pepboys could do simple balancing and I thought I knew better not to go there for anything else... It would have been the perfect photograph - probably the only time you see crossfire look that silly. I thought you guys would get a kick out of my hardship...

Old 11-17-2007, 10:31 AM

There are photos on here somewhere I know there are. Someone drove there crossfire home from the dealer or bought one and had it driven up i dont know. DAMN IT i cant remember the pictures are too good He had no clue either lol. I think it would look pretty sweet if we ran the 19s all the way around but more people turned the thread into I wonder how fast we would run in the quarter with the 18s in the back.... I will keep searching

Old 11-17-2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
Someone needs to try this again just for the picture!
LANTANA weren't you part of the thread with the picture... You were the first one to pipe in saying "I have been wondering this for years why hasn't someone run the 18"s in the back" Or you said something like I have 18"s check out my Gallery think we need to find this pic...

Old 11-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
LANTANA weren't you part of the thread with the picture... You were the first one to pipe in saying "I have been wondering this for years why hasn't someone run the 18"s in the back" Or you said something like I have 18"s check out my Gallery think we need to find this pic...
Yes I am running 18's on the back WITH 265x40x18 tires. these tires are wider and slightly taller tha the stock 19 inch tires. BUT I AM NOT running 19's in the front! my fronts are 225x40x18 (stock size tire) so I have the same raked look as stock without having extra heavy 19 inch wheels or expensive 19 inch tires. the reduced unsprung weight was noticeable with car not feeling so unsettled over the bumps.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Forum Regular

I had a similar experience with Discount Tire. My Finacee's Benz needed the tires rotated and balanced and since I bought the tires from them it was free. Her car is similar to ours because of the staggered widths. I always watch the employees (when I am able) when they are wrenching on my cars. I watch as this guy proceeds to move the rear wheel/tire to the front and visa versa. I stopped him immediately and corrected him.

Lesson here. Always watch the workers when you have the chance. They will notice and therefore be more careful and you just might catch them making a mistake before it becomes a problem.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
Yes I am running 18's on the back WITH 265x40x18 tires. these tires are wider and slightly taller tha the stock 19 inch tires. BUT I AM NOT running 19's in the front! my fronts are 225x40x18 (stock size tire) so I have the same raked look as stock without having extra heavy 19 inch wheels or expensive 19 inch tires. the reduced unsprung weight was noticeable with car not feeling so unsettled over the bumps.
No I wasn't saying you were the one running this set up, I'm saying you were part of the thread where we commented on the picture I wanted to find the picture for laughs but I do not know where it is. I thought maybe you remembered posting on the thread.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:13 PM

When my uncle bought his C5 Corvette from a dealer he noticed that it stalled a lot...and it wasn't a manual. He took it in and upon further inspection the 18's were on the front and the 17's were on the back.

I was surprised that no one could tell the difference, even at the dealer (and my uncle).