Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

TPMS Question

Old 11-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Question

I have an SRT that I recently installed non-SRT rims and Goodyear A/S tires see>> https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=19542 Everything was great for a week or so (non-SRT rims had the TPMS shrader valves and modules), but now the TPMS light is illuminating on the dash. Checked the pressure (after a drive) and they are precisely where I would expect them - 38 front and 37.5 rears (I filled both to 36, cold upon install), yet TPMS is still illuminated. I realize I can't "re-set” the TPMS but:
1. Any idea what is causing them to illuminate now - after one week of non-illumination?

2. Any ideas or ways to solve this?

Thanks.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: TPMS Question

First, check pressure with a known good gauge.

Secondly, it can take a long time for the light to come on. The sensors are only active above certain speeds, and the system is fault tolerant in that it can go a while without hearing a signal before it complains and lights the indicator lamp.

Each TPMS has a unique serial number.

Are you using the original TPMS units in the new rims, or new sensors with the new rims?

To get the light to go off (assuming you have a functioning NEW TPMS in each wheel), you need to have the dealer (or someone else with access to the Chrysler programming tool) reprogram the car to hear the signal of the sensors in your new wheels. There is a lengthy section in the service manual on this procedure.

If you are still using the original TPMS units, are you still using the special metal valve covers/caps? The manual warns that non-original covers can interfere with the signal.

Beyond that you'll have to rely upon a more knowledgable person than me, which thankfully, there are many on this board.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Forum Regular

I've checked with a good gauge and removed my aftermarket valve caps (as the rims did not come with any) to no avail (light still lit).

Next question: The TPMS sensors I am using are the ones that came on the non-SRT rims. So are the sensor "dumb" sensors? What I mean is I believe the non-SRT recommended tire pressure is 32psi and the SRT is 35psi. So does the TPMS sensor in the wheel simply transmit a good or bad signal to the ECU (I'm guessing it does). If so, and I am running 35psi on my SRT with non-SRT wheels, anytime the reading is 37psi or above the ECU (or whatever controls the TPMS light) the light will illuminate. Otherwise the TPMS sensors would actually be sending a psi number to the the ECU and the ECU would obviously know that it was an SRT and wouldn't illuminate the light (sorry long question). What do you think?

Old 11-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think we've found your answer.

The TPMS sensors that you are using are not the ones that came with your car.

They have unique serial numbers that are different than the ones that came with your car.

Your car is still listening only for the signals from sensors with the serial numbers of the original sensors, currently sitting inside your not-now-mounted SRT rims & tires.

To get the light to go out you'll either need to apply some electrical tape (to cover up the indicator, a la Click & Clack) OR get the dealer (or someone else with the correct tool) to reprogram you car to listen for new sensors.

Since I'm expecting to put less than a few hundred miles this winter, I didn't bother to spend the $$$'s to get my car reprogrammed, so my TPMS equipped winter rims set off the tire pressure warning light all the time.

(One last thought. If the valve cores inside the TPMS sensors were replaced with ones other than the originals, that too can interfere with the signal. This, however, doesn't matter, if you haven't had the car reprogrammed to look for new TPMS sensor serial numbers for the four winter rims).

Old 11-27-2007, 03:40 AM
Life is random...so am I.

The original sensors are "keyed" to differrent corners of the car, i.e. the car can tell if it's a left front or right rear tire that is going low. If you have generic sensors that haven't been programmed to work with the TPMS system, the vehicle speed sensor will notice that it's above 30 and will start looking for Wheel sensor input...when it doesn't find what it's looking for you get a idiot light coming on in the dashboard.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:18 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info - I, like you "Display_name" will simply let the light glow for the winter - probably only 4 more months of it left anyway. Thanks again.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:17 PM

I am replacing the original tire pressure sensors with programable Schrader EZ-Sensor 33700. I am able to read the original sensor ID's with a TPMS tool. When cloning the the ID's from the original to the new Schrader sensor The TPMS tool is asking for the format of the ID's either Auto or Hexadecimal or Decimal. Which ID format does the Crossfire use or does it matter to the car's computer.