Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Conti's on National Back Order

Old 12-23-2007, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conti's on National Back Order

I was just going to take the XFire for one last drive, (before winter storage) when I noticed the passenger side rear was flat! So I removed tire and took it to the local performance tire shop that dealt with Conti's, in hopes they could patch the darn thing.

Then I got the call that a nail was present but to close to the side wall to repair, then they laid the Bomb: All Conti's were on National Back Order, with no release date! I trust these guys because they were not trying to sell me new tires, in fact they suggested contacting the dealership to see if they had any remaining Conti's I could procure and/or swap.

It seems that the 2007/2008 XFires that are being sold, are consuming remaining stock of Conti's? Can anyone confirm this?

XFH

Old 12-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Conti's on National Back Order

the tire rack has the conti's 'all seasons' in stock... ($146 front & $188 rear)...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=(Y)&minLoad=S

but not the conti 2 summer tires... not sure which ones you need.

the conti 2's are being discontinued and the conti 3's are their new replacements.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:39 PM

I contacted Continental tire last week to find out when they would be available since I am in desperate need of a right rear. They emailed me back and said mid January. Before I even did this, I went ahead and ordered the tire from tirerack thinking that when it did become available, I would get mine. They called me later that day to tell me that they were cancelling my order since they had no idea when they would be getting any in. Tirerack suggested that I go to my local Chrysler dealer because the dealers would be first in line to receive the tires. I don't know how much the dealers charge for our Conti but I'm sure it's going to be much higher than Tirerack's $188. I'm just going to wait a few more weeks and then make my rounds again to see who has one. Hell I'd even buy a used one off Ebay at this point.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:47 AM

I know, I know, it may not be the safest way to go but for now just get somebody to repair your flat. If you can't find someone to do it then try doing it yourself with a plug. Just don't be running around at high speed until you get a replacement tire. What's the worst that's going to happen - you're going to lose air again?

First we don't get a spare and now we can't even buy replacement tires! You may be without a car for 3 to 4 weeks. And anybody is surprised that Crossfires don't sell?

Old 12-24-2007, 06:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fenwick223
I know, I know, it may not be the safest way to go but for now just get somebody to repair your flat. If you can't find someone to do it then try doing it yourself with a plug. Just don't be running around at high speed until you get a replacement tire. What's the worst that's going to happen - you're going to lose air again?

First we don't get a spare and now we can't even buy replacement tires! You may be without a car for 3 to 4 weeks. And anybody is surprised that Crossfires don't sell?
If that nail is too close to the sidewall and the tech will not repair it due to its' location, the worse that could happen is a BLOWOUT, and potential loss of control of the vehicle. Find a tire from Ebay or a junk yard!

Old 12-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Forum Regular

I have the Conti All Seasons and I had a nail in mine once in the tread and I plugged it and haven't had a problem.

Next year I'll probably need new tires and I think I'm gonna go with the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons. They look like a good tire (or a great one compared to the Contis) and are almost exactly the same price.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xfire2005
If that nail is too close to the sidewall and the tech will not repair it due to its' location, the worse that could happen is a BLOWOUT, and potential loss of control of the vehicle. Find a tire from Ebay or a junk yard!
I agree. There is a good reason that the tech won't plug it if it's close to the side wall - A Crossfire can be relpaced but your life cannot.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:39 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses!

My objective was to find out about the National Back Order, and now that this has been a confirmed problem I think that I'll just wait and get a new set of skins (already storing the XFire for winter) in the spring!

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays,

XFH

Old 12-24-2007, 08:48 PM

I had to replace a Conti a few months ago and had the same response from every tire store I called--national back order. I went ahead and ordered it at my local Tire Barn with no guarantee of a delivery date. In spite of all that I had the tire within a week. Hope you get a similar experience.